More Reggie Evans is What This Team Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Reggie Evans is What This Team Needs

During last nights game I saw the light: Reggie Evans should not be traded. He brings everything we need as a team: toughness, rebounding, and physicality. Sure he is a crappy defender, has terrible B-Ball IQ, and is perhaps the worst offensive player in Raps history but he brings an identity to this team: we'll tear your balls off before we give up a layup and then we'll pound you on the glass. That's the attitude I want our young guys to pick up: Davis, DeRozen, Aabi, Amir, and Weems should be out there every night throwing elbows and stepping under shooters during their jumpers. Teams should think before they see Toronto on the Schedual, "oh shit, maybe I'll say I have the flu or something". I am and aways have been a big supporter of playing dirty basketball and getting wins through effort and toughness.

On a related note, anyone think we could trade Bargs and Calderon for Gerald Walace? Or maybe Kirelenko and Brevin Knight?
    Last edited by hateslosing; Thu Oct 21, 2010, 11:51 AM.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

I still don't understand what Reggie Evans does better than Joey Dorsey. From my perspective, nothing. I love Reggie's intensity and rebounding. I like much of his role on the team. I hate that he needs to step on the floor during games as part of that role. I hate that he's such a bad decision maker that Triano has him dribbling the ball chest-high out to the perimeter after an offensive rebound so he can hand the ball back to a PG.

Reggie plus TPE for nearly anyone would be fine with me.

Comment

His value is in his expiring contract. He should not be traded, instead the Raptors should put him on the end of the bench (or play him for a few minutes, I don't care) and let him and Banks come off the cap this summer. Then we'll have cap-space and a big TPE to work with, now that is flexibility. Will a year be wasted? Yes, but let's call it development.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
        During last nights game I saw the light: Reggie Evans should not be traded. He brings everything we need as a team: toughness, rebounding, and physicality. Sure he is a crappy defender, has terrible B-Ball IQ, and is perhaps the worst offensive player in Raps history but he brings an identity to this team: we'll tear your balls off before we give up a layup and then we'll pound you on the glass. That's the attitude I want our young guys to pick up: Davis, DeRozen, Aabi, Amir, and Weems should be out there every night throwing elbows and stepping under shooters during their jumpers. Teams should think before they see Toronto on the Schedual, "oh shit, maybe I'll say I have the flu or something". I am and aways have been a big supporter of playing dirty basketball and getting wins through effort and toughness.

On a related note, anyone think we could trade Bargs and Calderon for Gerald Walace? Or maybe Kirelenko and Brevin Knight?
        When Ed Davis returns, all having Reggie Evans on the floor will be doing will be taking playing time away from younger players who need it more. I applaud what Evans has brought to the team and what he does on the floor, but what is the main goal this season? To me, it's developing the young player, and you can't do that if you don't let them play.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I don't know why people think his ball IQ is low. It isn't. He didn't have a role last year, Triano basically told him to do whatever he can. This year, though, he's extremely talkative on d, passes out after rebounds, and only takes shots he'll make or get fouled on. He looks REALLY good this year.

Keep him til the end of the year, then resign him for the vets minimum.
          Joshua Priemski
          NBA blogger
          SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
          www.RufusOnFire.com/
          www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Tim, as someone who's done coaching clinics and has a level 3 in NCCP, I disagree with you.

Players learn in practice, and simply are allowed to show their skills in games. The development occurs in practice. All playing will do for Ed is develop chemistry and get him into a bit of a groove. I don't want him playing more than 15 minutes a game. Basketball is not something you "learn on the job".
            Joshua Priemski
            NBA blogger
            SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
            www.RufusOnFire.com/
            www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

The Raptors need to keep Evans in the game, for one reason he's the best pure offensive rebounder in the game. Throughout this pre-season he's kept almost an average 5 possessions a game going by simply rebounding the ball, something this team never really had.

As far, as I'm concerned his one major flaw is free throw shooting. You can see in the games that he gets pissed every time he misses a shot. Since, he draws no attention on offense he's often open for an easy lay-up and the occasional post-up. If he can get above 70% free throw shooting, this guy will be a huge addition.

The most refreshing voice since Oak. He takes losses and effort seriously. Is a big talker and in-game motivator who keeps the players loose and honest.

This game also has convinced me that Jose is now a washed-up piece of junk. He played 5 minutes more than Jack, had less assists, no points and no fouls. When one of the best passers in the game is getting less than 5 assists, in sufficient minutes and as one of the best free throw shooters is not driving to the hole, that's it. Maybe, he's paranoid of getting hurt before the regular season, but I'm betting against that being the case.

I've always been a fan of Banks the last two years. At least he can drive to the whole, and keep his man in-front of him, the Raptors really don't need much more than that. So, give Banks the starting job. Sit Jose!

Edit: I agree with Intro I want to re-sign Evans and Banks for the vet minimum next year.
              Last edited by Raptorsss; Thu Oct 21, 2010, 12:59 PM.
              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Introcollapse wrote: View Post
                Tim, as someone who's done coaching clinics and has a level 3 in NCCP, I disagree with you.

Players learn in practice, and simply are allowed to show their skills in games. The development occurs in practice. All playing will do for Ed is develop chemistry and get him into a bit of a groove. I don't want him playing more than 15 minutes a game. Basketball is not something you "learn on the job".
                I agree and disagree. For a player who lacks skill, being thrown into an NBA game possibly will hinder his development. A guy like Alabi is simply too raw to play much in an NBA because he'd be in over his head. That's not to say he wouldn't benefit from time in the developmental league. Players need to eventually play. They need to learn and adjust to actual game situations and pressure. Coaches can teach best during practice, but you can only teach so much. A player eventually needs playing time to develop.

The NBA doesn't practice all that much outside of training camp. There's simply not enough time. Players can get coaching sessions, but most of the practices are shoot arounds and game preparations. There's little actual practice. A guy like Ed Davis already is a skilled player. Having him play 25-30 mpg isn't going to hurt his development, and in fact will benefit him. What Davis needs most is to adjust to the speed and skill level of the NBA. He's a player with a very high IQ who has already been well coached.

And Amir Johnson obviously needs to play as much as his fouling will allow. All Evans will do is take time away from those two players.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Probably the best thread I've seen on here in a while. Its so true, because the Raps don't have a staple by any means. If they started bruising up Evans style, they could really get under other teams skin, and with this new rule where players can't complain to the refs, we could prosper off of technicals. To be honest, I would love a Bargs for Zach Randolph trade.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                    To be honest, I would love a Bargs for Zach Randolph trade.
                    You lost me right at this point.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Reggie was -17 last night despit getting 16 rebound.

Hustle, toughness, energy, physicality can only take you so far in a league that is based on Real skills and Real Talents.

Raptors are already paying 34 million to a hustle guy in the name of Amir Johnson.

I am sure that they will end up paying Sonny another 30 for next 4 years so that theyr "Young Gunz" stay together and ... Sonny is another player with very limited talent and is all about hustle and energy and ...

This team needs a real talent in order to compete in future. Right now, looking at this team, we do not have it.

Comment

I was of the mindset that we could do without reggie but now I think amir, davis or alabi have to fill his role before we can justify trading him, keeping reggie gives us depth

Comment

The fickle fans. One game changes the whole perception, doesn't it? I like what he did last night and if he continues to rebound at that rate, there is no reason why he can't be a poor man's Rodman.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                            I am sure that they will end up paying Sonny another 30 for next 4 years so that theyr "Young Gunz" stay together and ... Sonny is another player with very limited talent and is all about hustle and energy and ...

This team needs a real talent in order to compete in future. Right now, looking at this team, we do not have it.
                            I disagree. Sonny definitely has talent. He's got a VERY good mid range pull up, which is one of the most difficult shots to learn. He's a good post player for a guard and he's got a knack for scoring. He's also shown an ability to rebound the ball. Weems is struggling at the moment to find his niche on the team, but the guy has talent.

Also, as Pat Riley has said, hustle IS a skill. It's a skill because not everyone is able to do it and because it helps the team. If a guy like Derrick Coleman had hustle, he'd have been one of the best ever at his position. Unfortunately it was a skill he lacked.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                              His value is in his expiring contract. He should not be traded, instead the Raptors should put him on the end of the bench (or play him for a few minutes, I don't care) and let him and Banks come off the cap this summer. Then we'll have cap-space and a big TPE to work with, now that is flexibility. Will a year be wasted? Yes, but let's call it development.
                              I have to be confused because I thought the TPE expired if it was not used this season. I also thought that as is the Raptors will be hovering close to $48M next off-season without taking into consideration draft pick signings and re-signing Weems. That's with Wright and Dorsey's potential qualifying offers out of the picture.
                              Last edited by Apollo; Thu Oct 21, 2010, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X