X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Balkman wwas a ere first round picks.

Dorsey was 32.
    I meant that those are the types of guys that you can pick up right now, today if the Raps wanted to fill the need (i.e. they can sign Dorsey next week). No need to waste a pick on it.

Comment

January 6, 2012

After a breakout junior season, Quincy Acy is continuing his strong play as a senior, making some subtle improvements to his game, being a key player on Baylor's #4 ranked squad, and continuing to be a regular fixture on Sportscenter highlight reels.

The first thing to notice about Acy is he's finally gotten around to filling out his frame some, adding some lean mass to get thicker in the upper body without sacrificing any athleticism for it. He's still undersized by power forward standards and probably isn't capable of adding much more bulk without negative side effects, but this should help him finishing through contact projecting to the next level, and certainly will be useful if he figures out how to apply it on the defensive end.

On the offensive end, Acy has shown some minor strides with a few of his skills, looking more comfortable in most areas and continuing to round out his game. He's seeing even more touches playing with his back to the basket this season after a big increase last year, and does a very good job finishing against college competition in these situations. He shows very good touch around the basket and settles for mostly high-percentage shots, while also having an explosive drop-step in his arsenal to take advantage of his physical tools.

Acy's finesse post game is not nearly as refined, as his right-handed hook shot is pretty weak when he isn't right near the basket, and the problems still remain about his post-game in general likely not translating well to the next level due to his lack of size. Still, his continued improvement here can't hurt him, and he could make use of this game at times in smaller lineups, at least to keep defenses honest.

The more intriguing developments in Acy's game are on the perimeter, where he's still a very raw player and a ways away from making consistent NBA-level contributions, but there are some interesting flashes to take note of. Acy's free-throw percentage is up slightly once again, from 68.5% to 74.7%, and he's also hit two of three three-point attempts on the season, the first makes of his career.

Acy's jump shooting form looks significantly improved from last season, mainly in that he's doing a much better job getting his feet under him and staying balanced, looking pretty comfortable on the two open threes he did knock down. He also looks decent on his few spot-up mid-range attempts, and has the makings of a solid pick-and-pop threat in time.

Acy is obviously still very early in his development in this aspect of his game, but given he just turned 21 three months ago and has shown a pronounced learning curve in his time in college, this is certainly something NBA teams will be aware of and will likely test in pre-draft workouts. How Acy continues to improve in this area in his pre-draft training could be very helpful to his stock, and at the least could help him get into the league in the future if he continues improving.

While Acy's improved post game is helping him at the college level and his developing jumper could help him in the NBA down the road, the key aspect of his game from an NBA perspective remains his ability to finish off the ball around the basket, where his athletic tools and awesome length make him a very dangerous threat.

This hasn't changed, as he's still a very potent finisher on cuts and offensive rebounds, which should translate well to the NBA in the right situation. There's also some potential for Acy to contribute more consistently in this regard, as he isn't frequently used on pick-and-rolls or in transition opportunities, two areas where he could see more touches, not unlikely given the stylistic tendencies of the NBA.

On the defensive end, Acy's development remains fairly unimpressive, as he just doesn't show the same consistent energy level and is still lagging from a fundamentals standpoint. Acy's improved strength is helping him some in the post, and his excellent length is useful in contesting shots, but he shows little concept of leverage and is often backed down and/or shot over by the opposition with relative ease.

His perimeter defense is even less impressive, as he doesn't have the discipline to stay down in his stance and often looks very uncomfortable against pick-and-rolls, not being very effective in this regard. His rebounding is up slightly on a 40-minute basis, but he's still just an average rebounder overall, and will likely need to improve there to find a long-term spot in the league.

Considering that any role he plays in the NBA will likely revolve heavily around rebounding and defending, his shortcomings in this area, and more importantly the lack of intensity he displays, will certainly not work in his favor.

Looking forward, Acy obviously has some intriguing tools from an NBA perspective, but is obviously at a disadvantage given his size and still developing skills on both ends of the floor. Acy's improvements in the past two seasons are definitely very helpful to his cause, but he could help himself most in the short term by really applying himself better on defense and the glass, two areas he can make strides rather quickly if he applies himself more diligently.
      [Read Full Article]

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1zCTCMyzn
      http://www.draftexpress.com
      Last edited by jbml; Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

pakdawgie wrote: View Post
        I meant that those are the types of guys that you can pick up right now, today if the Raps wanted to fill the need (i.e. they can sign Dorsey next week). No need to waste a pick on it.
        Fair enough.

I would only add that sometimes picks are not based solely on talent. The Raptors have a need for grit, toughness, and energy. Guys are needed on the bubble of second string and third string who accept their role and push others. Take a look at the video posted on page 2. He seems like a big time team player, motivator, and leader.

The fact he can hit his free throws unlike Balkman, Dorsey, and Evans is a huge bonus.

Comment

50% of his FG were dunks. Add to that he is undersized.

Welcome to the NBA Quincy. You cannot dunk as much here and if you don't have refined post moves your offense will suck.

And if that piece about his defense is true I fear for him.
          Last edited by draftedraptor; Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Fair enough.

I would only add that sometimes picks are not based solely on talent. The Raptors have a need for grit, toughness, and energy. Guys are needed on the bubble of second string and third string who accept their role and push others. Take a look at the video posted on page 2. He seems like a big time team player, motivator, and leader.

The fact he can hit his free throws unlike Balkman, Dorsey, and Evans is a huge bonus.
            I was also hoping/expeting Quincy Miller to be the pick at #37. However, if BC is planning to make a push to acquire a veteran starting SF, thinks DD is capable of playing some SF and already has JJ and Kleiza in that spot, then it makes sense why he wouldn't target an injury risk/project SF. Why go for a risky player who could be fighting just for 3rd string duty, when another decent player who also fills a need (for toughness and energy, as you mentioned) is also available? The more I think of it in the grand scheme of what I expect this offseason to look like, the more sense the pick makes.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I was also hoping/expeting Quincy Miller to be the pick at #37. However, if BC is planning to make a push to acquire a veteran starting SF, thinks DD is capable of playing some SF and already has JJ and Kleiza in that spot, then it makes sense why he wouldn't target an injury risk/project SF. Why go for a risky player who could be fighting just for 3rd string duty, when another decent player who also fills a need (for toughness and energy, as you mentioned) is also available? The more I think of it in the grand scheme of what I expect this offseason to look like, the more sense the pick makes.
              Oh trust me, I was livid and nearly weeping - lol.

But the more thought that goes in to the pick, the more I like it (which should be obvious by now!).

As for the bold, I no longer no what to think of BC. The organic growth is nice to see and should pacify the "Build through the draft crowd" but we still don't have anyone who appears to be legit all-star talent (with JV being the lone hope). BC has been puffing his chest about the flexibility, etc. etc. but as of yet, nothing. I don't consider Nash to be the answer to an exciting and active off season prophecy.

Comment

Tim's Fun Facts About Size

When you are strong and have a lower center of gravity, i.e. Acy is fighting with a rebound for Bosh, it is easier to effect the center of gravity of another player. If you box out properly Bosh will not even be able to jump properly because his C of G will be effected that much. This is a concept more tuned to martial arts but it fits perfectly into boxing out drills. Wingspan is MORE important than height when it comes to rebounding. Rondo who has freakishly long arms and big hands, is a PG who fairly regularly throws up a triple double. If you can box your man out properly it than becomes a how much area of the court can you rebound. Thirdly MOTOR is far more important than any of that. Dennis Rodman is the perfect example of this. 6'7" thin, ended up with 32 rebounds one game.

Acy has all three of these characteristics. I think the message is pretty clear. Amir and Ed, step up or move over
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Oh trust me, I was livid and nearly weeping - lol.

But the more thought that goes in to the pick, the more I like it (which should be obvious by now!).

As for the bold, I no longer no what to think of BC. The organic growth is nice to see and should pacify the "Build through the draft crowd" but we still don't have anyone who appears to be legit all-star talent (with JV being the lone hope). BC has been puffing his chest about the flexibility, etc. etc. but as of yet, nothing. I don't consider Nash to be the answer to an exciting and active off season prophecy.
                  I agree. Bargnani is best as a #1b or #2 option. DeRozan is best as a #3 option. Ross would be best as a #3/4 option (probably 4 this season). Nash would be a slight improvement over Calderon, but Toronto is still lacking that #1A scoring option.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    Tim's Fun Facts About Size

When you are strong and have a lower center of gravity, i.e. Acy is fighting with a rebound for Bosh, it is easier to effect the center of gravity of another player. If you box out properly Bosh will not even be able to jump properly because his C of G will be effected that much. This is a concept more tuned to martial arts but it fits perfectly into boxing out drills. Wingspan is MORE important than height when it comes to rebounding. Rondo who has freakishly long arms and big hands, is a PG who fairly regularly throws up a triple double. If you can box your man out properly it than becomes a how much area of the court can you rebound. Thirdly MOTOR is far more important than any of that. Dennis Rodman is the perfect example of this. 6'7" thin, ended up with 32 rebounds one game.

Acy has all three of these characteristics. I think the message is pretty clear. Amir and Ed, step up or move over
                    +1 I read about this somewhere, sounds convincing

Comment

Acy seems like a hard working, tough, gritty player who fits the new image the team is going with. It all sounds great and I'm completely fine with them going with him at 57 where they could probably have got him. Fact remains better talent was on board and the Raptors are lacking just that talent. Second rounders are low risk so why not swing for the fences rather then looking to hit singles. Guys like Acy can be had each and every year in the secound round while guys like Miller rarely are available. Miller may be a "me first" type of player but fact remains he has talent (although an inflatted ego). Casey got Dre motivated why not expect him to do it with a young prospect looking to show teams what they missed out on. The kid has a position he's not a tweener and can shot the ball from deep which is something the team needs. The positives far out weigh the negatives in this situation. Maybe when they phoned in the pick they got the last names mixed up...

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                        Acy seems like a hard working, tough, gritty player who fits the new image the team is going with. It all sounds great and I'm completely fine with them going with him at 57 where they could probably have got him. Fact remains better talent was on board and the Raptors are lacking just that talent. Second rounders are low risk so why not swing for the fences rather then looking to hit singles. Guys like Acy can be had each and every year in the secound round while guys like Miller rarely are available. Miller may be a "me first" type of player but fact remains he has talent (although an inflatted ego). Casey got Dre motivated why not expect him to do it with a young prospect looking to show teams what they missed out on. The kid has a position he's not a tweener and can shot the ball from deep which is something the team needs. The positives far out weigh the negatives in this situation. Maybe when they phoned in the pick they got the last names mixed up...
                        Miller might also not have the ability to play SF and have a bum knee.

Comment

I sorta feel like as fans there is a lot we don't know. If BC and Stefanski thought Miller was the answer to a problem I think they would have taken him over our now 6th power forward

Especially with Mckechnie in the room. He would have had a solid opinion one way or the other on Miller
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                            I sorta feel like as fans there is a lot we don't know. If BC and Stefanski thought Miller was the answer to a problem I think they would have taken him over our now 6th power forward

Especially with Mckechnie in the room. He would have had a solid opinion one way or the other on Miller
                            I do have a big concern about taking a player who relies on athleticism and explosive leaping ability, who's playing on a bum knee. Maybe the team doctors gave BC a report that immediately caused him to rule Miller out, even if he had been available at #56? We'll never know.

I love being part of a fanbase that gets so passionate about a #37 pick and which 3rd string player we should have picked!

Comment

I don't know the first thing about this guy but unless there's some trades I have no idea where he fits with this team. The Raps already have 5 guys who can play PF(Bargs/Davis/Amir/Kleiza/JJ) and there wouldn't seem to be many minutes at the SF spot if you add a FA, plus some mins for Derozan. JV and Gray(?) are likely to eat up the other "bigs" minutes.

Again, knowing nothing about any of these guys, I would have thought that a high risk/high reward guy makes more sense than a guy whose ceiling is as a 3rd big off the bench. Meh, whatever. Here's hoping he gives them more than PJ Tucker.

Comment

his Ceiling is a starting NBA PF. Trades need to be made and I expect this deal for Nash will be a sign and trade so they're may not be a glut at PF soon

Comment

Working...
                                X