2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG88 wrote: View Post
    Even though Kemba is 5'10 or 6' he shown that he can play at a high level on offense and defense. He's a better playmaker than Knight and his leadership and desire is just the jolt this team needs. Also if Kanter is taken before our pick and you had Knight, Kemba, Valanciunas, Biyombo, Kahwi and Donatas still on board who would you pick?
    I'm not sure whether Kemba's going to be much more than a Nate Robinson type. He's shown he can play at a high level in college. That's it. How does that translate to the NBA? And can he still play well when he's not dominating the ball? Because if he's on a contender, he's not going to be the best player on the team. I see his ceiling as Damon Stoudamire. A guy who can put up good stats on a bad team, but will struggle when surrounded by better players.

As for who I would pick, I'd probably go after Valanciunas or maybe Leonard. Maybe Biyombo, if he works out well.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
      Marc Gasol could likely be out of Memphis' price range - paying a max deal to Gay, and huge deals to Randolph and Conley.

I'd love to draft Kemba or Knight (Kemba for NBA ready, Knight for superstar potential) and add Gasol, while somehow getting Jose off the books in a deal for a lesser contract (I'm not sure how legit any of those Jose to Wolves rumors are though) - Maybe take Ridnour off their hands at his smaller deal.

Kemba - Bayless - Ridnour
      DeMar - Barbosa
      James Johnson - Vet FA - Kleiza
      Bargnani - Ed
      Marc Gasol - Amir - Alabi
      You think Gasol is going to come to the Raptors where he's going to have to share time with Bargnani, Davis and Amir? And why on earth would you start Bargnani over Davis?

That is a team that be a great addition to all the mediocre teams in Raptor history.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• My top-10 looks like this:

1. Irving
        2. Williams
        3. Kanter
        4. Valanciunas
        5. Leonard
        6. Knight
        7. Walker
        8. Biyombo
        9. Singleton
        10. T. Thompson

After Irving, Williams & Kanter I'm not sold on anyone in this draft being a top-tier starter. However, the rest ARE players that I see as being valuable players down the road. I like Leonard because I like having a lock-down 3 who can develop his offensive game and I like Valanciunas because, if this team is going to suck-butt for the next few years they might as well leave him in Europe for a couple of those years (as I think he will be a good one).

One of the players I want at #5 WILL be there.

That said, I REALLY like two other options: trade up for the #2 and/or trade down.

The #2 is, as we know, up for grabs. Calderon seems the obvious fit. Most are looking at a Calderon and #5 for Flynn and #2. I think that works but what I would rather see looks like this:

Calderon, James Johnson & protected 2012 (say top-12 in 2012, top-10 in 2013, etc)
        FOR
        Two of Ridnour, Flynn and Webster and 2nd overall

Raptors don't save much on salary BUT taking on salary from Minnesota allows the Raps to give up less in terms of immediate pick value. In this scenario I try to get Utah or Cleveland to swap picks with me - allowing me to pick Kanter and Leonard.

In the trade down scenario I target one of Valanciunas, Singleton or T. Thompson to drop into my target range of picks #9 through 12. Valnciunas could do so because of buy-out issues and Singleton isn't rated all that highly by most.

With luck a guy like Biyombo goes off the charts at the work-outs and teams start salivating for him - so much so that trading up for the #5 starts a bidding war. Also, with luck, teams like Utah stick with guys they like (Knight), teams like the Kings stick with need (Walker or other PG) and somebody likes Burks (as I don't).

Basically its all about getting a guy with promise at a much lower price tag.

Think about it - if Irving, Williams, Kanter are top-tier, Biyombo goes off charts and Utah sticks with Knight (thinking they will get a big guy later) then that #5 has huge value - maybe enough to dump Kleiza... (oh to dream).

Given how fluid this draft class is, this could be a wicked active draft floor.

Comment

• I was originally extremely disappointed when the Raptors dropped to 5th in the draft. But after hearing Colangelo's post Lottery thoughts. Colangelo said that after the top two picks (Irving and Williams) that the next 6-8 players are fairly even. This means that picking at 5 will actually allow the Raptors to save money and they may be able to get the same player. Gotta admit, I like his view.

After thinking about this I started wondering whether Kanter will still be avilable at 5?

1. Cavs - Irving
          2. Minnesota (or trade) - Williams
          3. Utah - Knight (apparently Utah is planning on taking a PG and is high on Knight, let's hope)
          4. Cavs - ??
          5. Raps - ??

What will the Cavs do? Looking at their roster their weakest spot is clearly at SF.

PG - Irving
          SG - Gibson
          SF - Joey Graham? Christian Eyenga?
          PF - Hickson, Jamison, Harangody
          C - Varejao, Hollins, Erdin

Cleveland's greatest weakness is certainly at SF. Is Kawhi Leonard too much of a stretch here? Apparently Leonard has looked incredible in workouts and has really improved his shooting.

My new dream...Cleveland tries to fill their SF spot with Leonard and lets Kanter fall to us.
          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• cavs will take kanter with the fourth pick if he is still there

Comment

• Today is a day where a lot of peoples stock could drop. For instance if Kanter does not do all that well in the combine, his athletic measurements to some will indicate a max level of potential.

For instance, some players in the draft may not be as basketball smart as Enes (yet), it may take time, but the tools that a said player has gives him the possibilities of being successful in the NBA.

So the question on a lot peoples minds with Kanter is, is the glass full or is there more room? This is the best league in the world, if you don’t have the best tool set, it can become very frustrating. Even for phenoms who muscled and got their way on the lower levels. Guys are fast enough in this league to get players like Enas ridding the pine due to foul troubles. (The kid will be dealing with speed he has never seen, and from what I have seen he isn't doing it with finesse)
              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu May 19, 2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• G-locity wrote: View Post
                I know it is difficult to add a good center in the off season or via trade but i do have faith in BC, kanter could be gone by the time we pick (if we stay at 5) and jonas has potential but i think he's just not ready just yet for nba grinding.
                Not to mention that Jonas has a bitch of a buyout that needs to be negotiated...

Comment

• Word is BC has been looking pretty hard at Burks the last few days. Daddy likes.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    Word is BC has been looking pretty hard at Burks the last few days. Daddy likes.
                    I hope that's a smokescreen. Burks is essentially an inconsistent 2-guard. He can score and that's about it. We already have an emerging 2-guard in DeRozan and drafting Burks at #5 would be a reach unless we plan on dropping down in the draft.

Comment

• inconsistent in what way? his shooting isn't the greatest at this point, but he's a hard worker. i could see him developing a reliable jumper in a year or two, much like derozen or westbrook.

im well aware he plays the same position as derozen, but i'd like to have him try his hand at pg. he'd be a wrecking ball if he figured it out, which i think he would. if not, fantastic 6th man.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alec-Burks-5819/
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• notice his handle and how creative he is with the ball. im huge on burks, and would be thrilled if we draft him. if not, whoever gets him is going to get a hell of a player.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            inconsistent in what way? his shooting isn't the greatest at this point, but he's a hard worker. i could see him developing a reliable jumper in a year or two, much like derozen or westbrook.

im well aware he plays the same position as derozen, but i'd like to have him try his hand at pg. he'd be a wrecking ball if he figured it out, which i think he would. if not, fantastic 6th man.
                            He's not high on my list, but I like him better than Knight and Kemba. He doesn't seem to have the fatals flaws in his game that they do. I do think there will be better prospects available at 5 than him. I see his ceiling as being a decent starter.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              I hope that's a smokescreen. Burks is essentially an inconsistent 2-guard. He can score and that's about it. We already have an emerging 2-guard in DeRozan and drafting Burks at #5 would be a reach unless we plan on dropping down in the draft.

How is he inconsistent? Did you watch Burks play in the Big 12 last year? He was one of the best players in that conference. He has flaws in his game like all players but he was a consistent performer for the Buffs.

I do agree that the Raps already have a 2 guard in Derozan that they are grooming but in this draft if Burks is clearly the best player at 5, which he may well be, then you draft him and worry about the positions later on. Talent is talent.

Comment

• our only options are , Knight and Kemba.
                                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                                X