• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon wrote:
    I already said he was a good player.
    Does not sound like it.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      How about the argument that you don't know how evaluate a basketball player? I don't know what else to tell you. You won't be swayed by stats, or people listing off his skills, or the fact that he's young and has a work ethic and motor at an elite level so you know he'll make every effort and improve. Over the course of his still extremely young career, Jonas has shown flashes or consistently brings just about every skill you could possibly want from a true C. That doesn't mean everything he's shown flashes with will become something he can consistently bring, but to think he is what he is, and that that's not good player, at 21 years old still growing into his body, and when he's still even learning English....Yeah, I don't know what to tell you.

*How about the fact that two teams with excellent programs in San Antonio and OKC have been rumored to have interest in him leading back to his draft? Yeah, Jonas must be a low-ceiling player who has no chance of being anything special. It's not like those guys know how to scout talent.
      That is a great point.

Parker for JV
      Harden for JV

Both reportedly offered.

Comment

• Nosike wrote: View Post
        ...he's "only" putting up 12-10 (not saying that's what he will average, but it's a possibility)....
        His per 36 this year is 10/10. And that's with two wings shooting 60% of the shots and everyone looking off JV after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Comment

• lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
          exactly you dont need a wing with all of the above you need wings who has atleast some of the qualifications. we need wings who can compliment each other and co exist.. we already got them
          The Raps have the first two:
          Athletic
          Closer

Now they need three \MORE wings for
          Ball Handling Skills
          Great Defense
          High IQ

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
            The Raps have the first two:
            Athletic
            Closer

Now they need three \MORE wings for
            Ball Handling Skills
            Great Defense
            High IQ

We need runners too, because that is different than athletic.
            :s

Comment

• Shrub wrote: View Post
              He could still be a very good center.
              There's room in the NBA for a top 5 center.
              But I don't think he's going to be dominant.
              Just since the end of last season, I've seen (multiple) Raptors fans argue that Rudy Gay is better than Paul George and Carmelo, that there's little difference between Al Horford and Amir Johnson, that Jonas vision is a lot like Sabonis, that Ross is going to be a better player than Andre Drummond...

So I'm sure there are people who think Jonas will be dominant. But I think most Raptors fans have no illusions of Jonas dominating the league. It's hard to do nowadays anyway.

Jonas came into the league with comparisons like Tyson Chandler, Noah, Varejao, Gortat. And I think he can still get there, in fact I would bet that he will.

As for his vision/creativity, yes, he tunnel visions. He was ranked so high as a prospect because he was relentless, in addition to good size, length, athleticism and touch, not because teams saw a Pau Gasol in him. Now, he's not as bad as Bismack Biyombo, but it's clearly a weakness when you compare him to most all star centers.

I'm more curious about other areas of his development, such as shooting range and overall defense. If he's going to be an all star center, I think it would have to be as a mix of Gortat (offensively) and Asik (defensively), i.e. a fairly mechanic but tough two way center. This is what me and I think many people hoped for while Jonas was still in Europe, and I think he can still get there.

Comment

• has JV even taken a mid range jump shot this season yet? haven't seen it as far as i know. basically making his pump fake worthless.

Comment

• JV may never become an all-star (all-stars are a joke anyway.. it depends on the conference, and how good the team is). Heck Jameer Nelson was an all-star once. JV will probably never become a hall of famer (well I guess that will be again determined by if the team he's on wins at least 2 championships), but I think he's going to have a pretty good career unless he has some kind of career ending injury early in his career.

7 footers have always been coveted and they probably always will. They also don't grow on trees. Basketball is easier when you have tall guys playing for you. The thing about JV is that he dominated his age group, he can shoot free throws, he has a high motor and is a national hero in a home country that lives and breathes the sport.

He may not be as athletically gifted as Kareem/Shaq or Wilt but he can easily become a center piece of a championship team.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    has JV even taken a mid range jump shot this season yet? haven't seen it as far as i know. basically making his pump fake worthless.
                    answering my own question..hes currently 6/22 from outside the paint. yah...worthless pump fake.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                      It's not in Valanciunas athletically to be where those guys are. He doesn't have the quickness of Noah or the size and strength of Horford and Hibbert.
                      Well, it's easy to make anyone look inferior with one sided observations. But on the other hand, Jonas has longer arms and a bigger frame than Noah, more size than Horford (you might be confusing Horford with some other player there), more mobility than Hibbert. He is also stronger than Hibbert was just a few years ago. Jonas is no Wilt Chamberlain, but he's still a physically gifted player.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                        You haven't made up your mind, yeah?
                        I'm not asking for an argument to persuade me as you have requested.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                          ...I am not moved by "he's only such-and-such age" arguments. I've been following sports for too long to buy into that crap.
                          That is just a little silly.

JV has been playing in Europe his whole life, till last year. European basketball is demonstrably different then the NBA. European basketball is consistent throughout it's club system and into it's pro leagues. Therefore JV has had 8 years of a particular style of play, 8 years of expectations on how he (as a center) should play within a Euro style team system. He is now having to forget that style and learn a significantly different style. Not impossible in the least, but it is bound to make him hesitate periodically as old reflexes kick in.

Saying age makes no difference is particularly silly. Not sure how old you are, but most males change quite significantly between the age 20 and 25. If they are working out religiously, they get heavier as they add muscle mass and they get significantly stronger. It will be possible for JV to add 15 - 20 pounds of muscle over the next three years. Adding it while working on his skills will improve his game tremendously. JV, with an extra 20 pounds of well practiced muscle in three years will be bigger, heavier, stronger, more skilled and is going to be a scary, scary proposition for almost any center in the league (world) to face. His shooting mechanics are excellent. He will be a threat out to 18 feet, no problem.

Comment

• I dont see how anyone can come to any conclusion about how JV is playing this season with Casey as coach, ball hogging wings and zero pick and roll. They only run plays for him on the first 2 possessions of the game. That is it.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                              He can't defeat his somatotype by working out.
                              Somatotypes are BS. Anyone can get big (barring some kind of genetic defect) by working out.

People just have different starting points.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                                He can't defeat his somatotype by working out.
                                I'm 6'7".

I can tell you right now you are 100% wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X