Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild or Re-tool? (thread merge in post #358)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    I'm ambivalent but I would suggest that people who want to compete sooner rather than later may want to look to the Houston model. The Rockets had no superstar to deal, they didn't tank, and they didn't do it through free agency. They made some shrew draft picks and trades and put themselves in a financial position to do a big trade (Harden) and sign another max FA when the situation was right.

You can argue Morey walked into the perfect storm but he put himself in a position to capitalize on it.
    Morey was already gm when they still had Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady on the roster.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      I'm sorry but aren't "lotteries" and "luck" synonymous?

Either way you go, you're going to require some good bounces. Go research any successful entrepreneur and you'll see luck had a role in it... Usually those professionals tried to keep as much control in their hands as possible though.

The lotto requires parking all your chips in one spot and hoping for the best results; giving yourself up to the draft. Then, if you get the desired result, you're hoping that the player works out.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to manage a good team, get those players working well together and producing? That way you have truly marketable that you can move to capitalize on teams interested in moving out of the lottery in instances where the player you want is there are the pick you can get?

Let me put it this way, Indiana Pacers players in general are at an all-time high right now in terms of market value. There is a buzz about them If you took a couple of those guys and had them on the Raptors squad this season I assure you they would not have the same market value right now because:
      1. They would not have been utilized properly
      2. Would not be in the right system to shine
      3. Would not be recognized/understood for what they are so that they could be properly identified in relation to #1 and #2.

And I'm not relating the Pacers' playoff success to the players' value(although that helps too). The fact that they were so good at fitting the pieces and knowing what they had on roster had a hand in that success no doubt though.

Exactly. And this is why 'luck' is a pointless argument - because its an attribute in all forms of team building/success.

Comment

• The draft is one of many pieces, it's not the piece...

Did you read the next sentence?

Allow me to elaborate further. Planning around the lotto turns into a reactionary exercise because you don't know what's going to happen and if the balls don't fall your way what then? Take a guy you're not happy with? Trade the pick for a player? Wait, doesn't that put you back a year because now suddenly you've added someone to your team who you didn't get in the lottery who will improve your team and hurt your odds next lotto?

Building with the draft as viable option when the right opportunity presents itself, to me, is a scenario where you keep more control over your fate. In such a case maybe you move in, maybe you don't but at least if you do, you're doing so because the guy you're drafting is exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

Wouldn't it be a better idea to manage a good team, get those players working well together and producing? That way you have truly marketable that you can move to capitalize on teams interested in moving out of the lottery in instances where the player you want is there are the pick you can get?
          It would be a great idea -- how do we get there?
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            If we want to tank, we're not going to be the only team that does that. It's gonna be a tanking fight.

I think it's high time that the lottery system is changed. Each year you have about 25% of the league trying to tank, probably more at the end of the season. It's not good for a competitive league.

For all the discussion here about tanking or not and the worth of tanking, I don't think there is even a slight chance that this will be the plan that Leiweke and the new gm will come up with, after five years of not making the play-offs. They will want some results, so another route will be taken. It's just not going to happen.
            I so badly want them to think of a way to shake it up. The thing is they still need to somehow find a way to favour the weaker teams chances at adding a highly talented player. The problem is that anything they do, teams will still find a way to try and abuse the rules.

The best idea (not saying it's good) I have thought of (or maybe I read it somewhere and forgot), is to cluster lottery chances.

So say the 5 worst teams all have exactly the same lottery odds. And then the next 5 teams do as well, and then the 4 final teams that didn't advance do as well. So if a team has the 7th or 8th worst record, they might find it hard to tank all the way down to 5th, or might see the benefit in asking their guys to compete since they'd still have the same odds if they move up a spot or two. It would be hard for teams in these groups to tank into worse ones.

For instance, the 2 worst teams in each conference (PHX, NOH, CHA, ORL) were clearly lacking talent compared to every team in the league. They are all in the bottom 5 and should be. Cleveland is the only team that probably shouldn't, and probably wouldn't have been if they were healthy (not just Irving, but Varejao's absence was huge). Other teams would really have to have lose top guys, like Cleveland did, to be close to as bad as those awfully bad teams.

And after those teams, the talent gaps aren't that big for the other non-playoff teams. Many of those teams start the season with the goal of fighting for a playoff spot. Some of the 6-10 worst teams are ones where something goes wrong...such as injuries in the cases of Minny and Washington. Regardless, it's hard for the teams in the 6-14 range to drop into the bottom 5. And the separation is usually late between the 6-10 group and the 11-14 group. So those 6-10 teams are usually trying to win for too much of the season to be able to tank into the lower group. And the 11-14 teams might have to keep fighting for a playoff spot until far too late in the season for them to be able to tank in any worthwhile way.

Granted there will be some tanking as teams try to move between groups, but I think it would diminish.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue May 28, 2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Getting a Gay calibre player would be extremely lucky in the draft. How many rookies or 2nd year players come out as 20ppg scoreres?

Guys who command 5 year/60M (btw max contract now is 4 years) are looking to go somewhere to win. They are 28 year old-ish (i.e. coming off their 2nd contract) and unrestricted. That is part of the problem with tanking: you become known as a loser and who wants to play for a loser? Who wants to be the guy in his prime to try and turn a franchise around?
              Memphis were lucky to get Gay at No. 9 (if I'm right). Normally a player like him would go between 4 and 7 which is why THE KIND OF DRAFT that it is, is very important. I'm advocating tanking only because of the KIND OF DRAFT the 2014 draft is going to be.

Regarding signing 4 yr 45-50mil (thanks for the correction) kinda players, the main problem Raps. have faced is that they've almost never put themselves in a position to sign such players. About what you've said (they go to winning teams), it does not apply to all players. When they did sign such a player(Turkoglu), he came from the finalist Magic team.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                It would be a great idea -- how do we get there?
                They have the bones of a good team, they just need a few tweaks and suddenly they're a dark horse in the east.

Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Paul George, taken 17th, 17th and 10th. They took those core pieces and then added to it wisely with other pieces which fit. The Raptors can be on the verge of again being respectable IF they choose to go that route. I look at this team now and I see Bargnani and DeRozan as prime candidates to be moved in order to bring in guys who fit what they want to run next season. JV could take a big step forward this season and we know what Rudy Gay will bring. Adding around those two guys while holding onto the glue, like Amir Johnson could have this team moving up in the east.

At the very least, we could all probably agree that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they actually attempted to win some games over the next two years while adding to the core?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  I so badly want them to think of a way to shake it up. The thing is they still need to somehow find a way to favour the weaker teams chances at adding a highly talented player. The problem is that anything they do, teams will still find a way to try and abuse the rules.

The best idea (not saying it's good) I have thought of (or maybe I read it somewhere and forgot), is to cluster lottery chances.

So say the 5 worst teams all have exactly the same lottery odds. And then the next 5 teams do as well, and then the 4 final teams that didn't advance do as well. So if a team has the 7th or 8th worst record, they might find it hard to tank all the way down to 5th, or might see the benefit in asking their guys to compete since they'd still have the same odds if they move up a spot or two. It would be hard for teams in these groups to tank into worse ones.

For instance, the 2 worst teams in each conference (PHX, NOH, CHA, ORL) were clearly lacking talent compared to every team in the league. They are all in the bottom 5 and should be. Cleveland is the only team that probably shouldn't, and probably wouldn't have been if they were healthy (not just Irving, but Varejao's absence was huge). Other teams would really have to have lose top guys, like Cleveland did, to be close to as bad as those awfully bad teams.

And after those teams, the talent gaps aren't that big for the other non-playoff teams. Many of those teams start the season with the goal of fighting for a playoff spot. Some of the 6-10 worst teams are ones where something goes wrong...such as injuries in the cases of Minny and Washington. Regardless, it's hard for the teams in the 6-14 range to drop into the bottom 5. And the separation is usually late between the 6-10 group and the 11-14 group. So those 6-10 teams are usually trying to win for too much of the season to be able to tank into the lower group. And the 11-14 teams might have to keep fighting for a playoff spot until far too late in the season for them to be able to tank in any worthwhile way.

Granted there will be some tanking as teams try to move between groups, but I think it would diminish.
                  This doesn't do it for me. Teams like Charlotte are purposely tanking and are rewarded for it. Other teams, like Atlanta for years, are trying to be competitive and they are consistently punished for it because there is a 'tax' on being (slightly above) mediocre. I'd like it if there was more incentive not to land in the bottom and less (or no) punishment or even a reward for being competitive.

Comment

They have the bones of a good team, they just need a few tweaks and suddenly they're a dark horse in the east.

Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Paul George, taken 17th, 17th and 10th. They took those core pieces and then added to it wisely with other pieces which fit. The Raptors can be on the verge of again being respectable IF they choose to go that route. I look at this team now and I see Bargnani and DeRozan as prime candidates to be moved in order to bring in guys who fit what they want to run next season. JV could take a big step forward this season and we know what Rudy Gay will bring. Adding around those two guys while holding onto the glue, like Amir Johnson could have this team moving up in the east.

At the very least, we could all probably agree that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they actually attempted to win some games over the next two years while adding to the core?
                    Just two things which caught my eye. When you mentioned we have the bones of a good team I instantly thought of what Chicago did this season and in the season without D. Rose, and then Deng and Noah in the playoffs. Now that team has the bones of of a good team. Toronto didn't even get a whiff of the playoffs with a mostly healthy team. I don't see the structure of a good team. Also, though I didn't highlight it from what you said, moving AB, DeMar, bringing in the right peices to fit with current core, JV taking a step forward, and to go further for chemistry, and coaching to all combine and make magic is a lot to ask for. Almost as many things need to go right as with the tanking scenario for us to hit the proverbial jackpot. The difference is with tanking we'll be well under the cap, and in striking position to acquire talent via free agency and trades should we acquire some solid talent through the draft.

Second bold is what concerns me about tinkering with the current roster. Being respectable again is something we all want, but ultimately are you going to be happy with being respectable and not being able to contend? As Matt's signature quote for TL suggests "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them".

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                      Memphis were lucky to get Gay at No. 9 (if I'm right). Normally a player like him would go between 4 and 7 which is why THE KIND OF DRAFT that it is, is very important. I'm advocating tanking only because of the KIND OF DRAFT the 2014 draft is going to be.

Regarding signing 4 yr 45-50mil (thanks for the correction) kinda players, the main problem Raps. have faced is that they've almost never put themselves in a position to sign such players. About what you've said (they go to winning teams), it does not apply to all players. When they did sign such a player(Turkoglu), he came from the finalist Magic team.
                      Turk is a bad example in my opinion. He is the exact type of free agent you want to avoid. In my opinion he lacked character, was on the decline, had little desire to be his best, put himself before the team, and was looking for the most money he could get. In my opinion he embodied the worst traits of free agency to a tee. Hopefully a really good gm would recognize this and avoid the mistake.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Turk is a bad example in my opinion. He is the exact type of free agent you want to avoid. In my opinion he lacked character, was on the decline, had little desire to be his best, put himself before the team, and was looking for the most money he could get. In my opinion he embodied the worst traits of free agency to a tee. Hopefully a really good gm would recognize this and avoid the mistake.
                        In hind sight, all of the above is very true. In that off-season, he was one of the most 'sought after' FA.

That aside though, I don't think EVERY good FA will refuse to sign with the Raps. Some yes but not all.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

This doesn't do it for me. Teams like Charlotte are purposely tanking and are rewarded for it. Other teams, like Atlanta for years, are trying to be competitive and they are consistently punished for it because there is a 'tax' on being (slightly above) mediocre. I'd like it if there was more incentive not to land in the bottom and less (or no) punishment or even a reward for being competitive.
                          I think a better system (but harder to actually implement I think) would be a free agency system for rookies. Perhaps create an upper cap as to how much you can spend on a rookie (say $10M with bonuses). This way the player can pick the team that makes the most sense for them similar to how they get recruited in school.

Attractive cities like LA, NY and Miami may get first dibs which seems counter productive but if those teams are at the salary cap then they wouldn't get a shot at a pick.

Teams like Charlotte/Cleveland could attract rookies by offering more expensive contracts. Could be risky if the rookie doesn't pan out, but then that's why teams need good scouts.

It would separate the teams that are run well versus the teams that are not. It would eliminate tanking and introduce savvy front offices to try and lure top ranked rookies.

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                            In hind sight, all of the above is very true. In that off-season, he was one of the most 'sought after' FA.

That aside though, I don't think EVERY good FA will refuse to sign with the Raps. Some yes but not all.
                            Assuming the Raptors are offering the most and they have been tanking for years/are a known loser then every good FA with an opportunity to play elsewhere more than likely will.

Comment

I don't think Charlotte IS purposely tanking. Look at their roster and explain to me how they could even be a top 25 team? They have such an incredibly deficient roster (that couldn't possibly be that much better through adding minor free agent pieces last summer). So do Orlando, Phoenix and New Orleans. Those 3 teams all just declined/lost a star recently. Should those 3 be punished for Charlotte repeatedly having bad seasons despite getting high picks?

Heck, Charlotte has made the playoffs more recently than Toronto (in 2009). And then they didn't blow it up and tank....they finished 34-48 (same record as Toronto this season) in 2010-11, the year they got both Walker and Biyombo from the draft. Last season, where they had their awful record and ended up with the 2nd pick (MKG), was the first year after cleaning house. SO considering all that, the fact that they've had 2 awful years in a row is not surprising at all. They did what any team should do when a playoff window closes: clean house and stockpile assets.

Again, there's just no way Charlotte would do well. Maybe they "tank" a bit, but that also gets taken care of in the groupings. Teams at the bottom couldn't fight for the top pick. There would be no incentive for them to aim for 15 wins instead of 20-25.

The thing that bugs me about some kind of more totally equalized system is that then you put no incentive on actually building a contender. Every team will become the Milwaukee Bucks. YOu'll get lots of mediocre teams refusing to spend to win, and just constantly hoping they'll luck into a legit franchise player in the draft.

And I certainly don't think a good team should be rewarded with a high pick. "you win so here's your next franchise player"....No. That makes no sense whatsoever. The reward for winning IS winning....that's why they give you a trophy and some rings. The challenge has to be sustaining that level of success knowing it will be difficult to add major talent. Doesn't make it impossible. Teams can still trade into the top of the draft. THat's how the Lakers got Magic. Or more recently, the Cavs got Irving due to a trade (they were bad, but their own pick was used on Thompson).
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue May 28, 2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Turk is the perfect example of why BC was never successful. Turk was all the things my dude matt said, but he was also a terrible fit. Turk needed the ball in his hands to be effective, as a point forward type player, yet that wasn't how he was used. Don't get me wrong, Hedo was a shitbag, but its on Bryan. You can't just take players, especially vets, and try and turn them into players they're not.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X