No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man if raptors get 4-6 pick on lottery they neeeeed to get ENES KANTER or KYLE IRVING if hes there available
    and get some intangible Homecourt advantage men in Canadians Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson from Texas hopefully they get slept on and creep into second round and Toronto takes them, because being from Canada playing for Canada is the best thing for the Raptors.
    Last edited by e2thed; Tue Jan 4, 2011, 02:35 PM.
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

I could see Colangelo pissing everyone off by drafting Brandon Knight or someone like that. You know, one of those dynamic offensive players who doesn't fit our cookie cutter brains but does fit Colangelo's failing system.

I've seen Kyle Irving as high as #1 and not even on the board in some cases. He may not come out this year. If he does I'm not holding my breath on the Raptors being in position to draft him.

Alec Burks sounds interesting but it would have to mean a switch from the 2 to the 3 by DeRozan.
      Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jan 4, 2011, 03:32 PM. Reason: link

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        No doubt I take Barnes if we can, but I'm just not sure, when it's all said and done that he won't be the number 1 pick. It's his to lose.

No doubt Terrnce Jones has shown some questionable attributes.

But I do NOT believe that 12.5 points on 52% shooting, 8.2 rebounds, a block and a steal is struggling, for a team that's 8-3.
        I think he's got a chance to be a Kevin Durant/ Tracy McGrady type, and with his mix of height, handle and pure athletic freakishness, I wouldn't be surprised to see PJ go No.1 this summer either.
        Either way, they're all solid, and we need one of them. haha

And ya exactly, this is more of a hypothetical, 'We need a SF, there's a few in a the draft, if you could take any, who do you like.'
        I don't think you should be using Perry Jones in the same breath as Kevin Durant. Durant brought it on every play as a freshman. His numbers were crazy good. Jones just went scoreless in a game versus Texas Southern.

This draft is gonna be known as a year where there';s no clear cut number 1.

Comment

i'd be ok with brandon knight
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm not a fan of Knight. If we're gonna draft a combo guard, i'd rather take Burks.

Comment

i haven't watched any colllege hoops at all this year to be honest, i just remember reading his draft.net bio and thinking he sounded good.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                I don't think you should be using Perry Jones in the same breath as Kevin Durant. Durant brought it on every play as a freshman. His numbers were crazy good. Jones just went scoreless in a game versus Texas Southern.

This draft is gonna be known as a year where there';s no clear cut number 1.
                He went scoreless because he got in early foul trouble and didn't need to come back in because Baylor was winning pretty much from the get go. Other than that ONE game, the dude has brought it.
                I'm not saying he's going to BE Kevin Durant, but as a tall, athletic Small Forward, I think it's fair to use him as a Benchmark. Granted, PJones hasn't shown the range that KD has, or even that which was displayed by Beasley, but I do think he brings more energy and athleticism than both.
                And on our team that'd be ok. We don't need another SF thinking they're Ray Allen (*cough* Kleiza *cough*) haha

Comment

And we reeally don't need another PG/Shooting Guard. Knight is a slightly better shooting Jarryd Bayless. And JB has actually shown an improved jumper this year.

If we take ANY guards, it should only be Irving. And I don't see him entering the draft this year.

Comment

He went scoreless because he got in early foul trouble and didn't need to come back in because Baylor was winning pretty much from the get go. Other than that ONE game, the dude has brought it.
                    I'm not saying he's going to BE Kevin Durant, but as a tall, athletic Small Forward, I think it's fair to use him as a Benchmark. Granted, PJones hasn't shown the range that KD has, or even that which was displayed by Beasley, but I do think he brings more energy and athleticism than both.
                    And on our team that'd be ok. We don't need another SF thinking they're Ray Allen (*cough* Kleiza *cough*) haha
                    http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=51237

Here is Jones' complete game stats so far this year. I'm not doubting he is a talent but he has hardly been dominant. Chris Singleton also shut him down 2 games ago. It would appear Singleton is everything the Raptors need from a defensive wing perspective.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=51237

Here is Jones' complete game stats so far this year. I'm not doubting he is a talent but he has hardly been dominant. Chris Singleton also shut him down 2 games ago. It would appear Singleton is everything the Raptors need from a defensive wing perspective.
                      But if you compare their stats as freshmen, you will see that Perry Jones shows far more upside. He's got 3" on Singleton, not to mention 2 years younger. Singleton has improved over the years, but in the key areas you'd like to see a SF improve, he just hasn't. He can't create his own shot off the dribble and he's not all that good at attacking the basket.

DEx says it better than I do though;

"As a slasher, Singleton remains below average. He does not have the ball-handling skills needed to create his own shot on a consistent basis. He struggles to change speeds and directions with the ball, which hampers him from taking full advantage of his excellent physical tools. He isn't able to get to the rim and utilize his explosiveness as much as you might hope, often settling for off-the-dribble jumpers instead, which are definitely not his strength."

At 6'11" Perry Jones has shown some skills not many others have at his size. Hence why he's projected in most places to be top 2 pick, where as Singleton is MAYBE a lottery pick. He's helping his stock, but with some of the younger talent in the draft, he will fall.

Comment

He hasn't really taken over any games so far this season. His tools set are very good - has good handles, decent offensive game, but there's no wow factor with the guy. I would disagree that he has 'brought it'. I wouldn't use Durant as a benchmark. At this moment, I would say Charlie Villanueva is more of a comparison - heightwise, game wise and production wise. I would say that Kyrie Irving did much more in his time prior to his injury than Jones. He looked far more impressive. Should he choose to enter the 2011 draft and he plays the same way he was playing prior to his injury, he should be the #1 pick. Hell, I'd take Sullinger over Jones at this moment simply because his game has been much more impressive - and he's putting it up against better competition.
                        Is he a talent? Sure, no question, the talent is there, and he should be a solid pro, but in my opinion, he won't be a "franchise player" kind of guy.
                        Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Jan 4, 2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

And we reeally don't need another PG/Shooting Guard. Knight is a slightly better shooting Jarryd Bayless. And JB has actually shown an improved jumper this year.

If we take ANY guards, it should only be Irving. And I don't see him entering the draft this year.
                          The Raptors are not in a position to be picky and choosey. No one's job should be safe. We don';t have any all-stars or franchise players. If Knight is the best player available when we select, Knight should be the selection.

Comment

But if you compare their stats as freshmen, you will see that Perry Jones shows far more upside. He's got 3" on Singleton, not to mention 2 years younger. Singleton has improved over the years, but in the key areas you'd like to see a SF improve, he just hasn't. He can't create his own shot off the dribble and he's not all that good at attacking the basket.

DEx says it better than I do though;

"As a slasher, Singleton remains below average. He does not have the ball-handling skills needed to create his own shot on a consistent basis. He struggles to change speeds and directions with the ball, which hampers him from taking full advantage of his excellent physical tools. He isn't able to get to the rim and utilize his explosiveness as much as you might hope, often settling for off-the-dribble jumpers instead, which are definitely not his strength."

At 6'11" Perry Jones has shown some skills not many others have at his size. Hence why he's projected in most places to be top 2 pick, where as Singleton is MAYBE a lottery pick. He's helping his stock, but with some of the younger talent in the draft, he will fall.
                            Singleton is decent. He's very good defensively, but his offensive game is still a bit suspect. He's kinda like a Devin Ebanks when Ebanks was at WV. Should the Raptors have a lotto pick, it shouldn't be spend on Singleton. Maybe if he's still there at the time the Miami selection rolls around, I'd take him.

Comment

J_H - the thing about Jones that irks me is that he's pretty much the star player at Baylor and he's played against some pretty inferior competition, but he hasn't been dominating the way he should, or the way a lot have expected him to. Now if he puts up some good numbers and plays well against K-State, Texas, Kansas, Texas A & M, then I'll revisit my opinion of him, but as of right now, to me, he's not very impressive.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                J_H - the thing about Jones that irks me is that he's pretty much the star player at Baylor and he's played against some pretty inferior competition, but he hasn't been dominating the way he should, or the way a lot have expected him to. Now if he puts up some good numbers and plays well against K-State, Texas, Kansas, Texas A & M, then I'll revisit my opinion of him, but as of right now, to me, he's not very impressive.
                                Which is fair and diplomatic of you. Not so often seen around these parts. haha
                                I don't disagree with you. He has been a little underwhelming, but I think his "upside" (and I hate to use that word) trumps a few crappy games. Not to mention that Dunn and Acy have both had exceptional years, and Jones has been able to not have to worry about shouldering the load completely on his own.

And HOPEFULLY he is able to raise his game when the cameras, and scouts, are really watching.

Comment

Working...
                                X