No announcement yet.

Everything Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread started off somewhat reasonable, I'll recap the bit that makes sense before everyone went off the rails:

-people were saying DC isn't a championship coach - he's decent but no legend

-people replied with how few championship coaches there are, and how certainly, most of the proven ones aren't coming here next year

-primer said he'd rather take a shot at a championship coach, then just rehire a guy in the second tier of coaches

After that, it gets into ridiculous hypotheticals, hyperboles and straw-man arguments from the detractors.

So I believe that initial line of thought is founded in reason.

To add to that I'd remind everyone to consider the actual chance of hiring an unproven coach and watching him develop into an all time great. I'd say the odds are 20% if we're lucky.

Further, if that move doesn't work out, it's not just a wash, it's a detrimental move to our franchise and to these players. Lack of continuity is really bad. It is. Ask Marc Cuban.

So I just don't see the benefit to risking it all on an unknown commodity there, and more than likely, screwing with JV, Ross, and DD.
    Last edited by stooley; Fri May 2, 2014, 09:59 AM.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Different post for a different idea.

You know how Casey is really good at getting his guys to work hard, play defense and give it their all?

And you know how sometimes he makes ridiculous play calls/substitutions in the last minute?

Maybe one is the result of the other. Just saying. It's not that crazy an idea. We don't know.

They say the people who make the best predictions are aware of the uncertainties. Overconfidence isn't a sign of a better prediction.
      Last edited by stooley; Fri May 2, 2014, 10:06 AM.
      "Bruno?
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Haven't read the thread. But my thoughts are that if Casey can advance to the 2nd round, he deserves to be brought back next year.

We all talk about how important chemistry is to winning, but that includes chemistry with the coach.

Comment

I'm just super happy this decision is up to Masai and not us. One I thing I for sure don't want is a lame duck 2 year deal. If he wants to bring Casey back, he should do it on a 4+ year deal. You either believe in him or you don't. The first head coaching hire is often make or break in a GM's career, so he'll be giving it a lot of thought. I guess I'd be disappointed if he didn't at least interview other coaches before retaining Casey, if that's the route he goes.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
            I'm just super happy this decision is up to Masai and not us. One I thing I for sure don't want is a lame duck 2 year deal. If he wants to bring Casey back, he should do it on a 4+ year deal. You either believe in him or you don't. The first head coaching hire is often make or break in a GM's career, so he'll be giving it a lot of thought. I guess I'd be disappointed if he didn't at least interview other coaches before retaining Casey, if that's the route he goes.
            Yeah I'm happy it's up to Masai too. He knows a lot more than us. It could very well be that Casey just sucks, and we've been waiting for the opportunity to dump him, move present pieces for future assets and begin the coaching search.

I'm not sure you have to give him that big of a contract though. Maintaining flexibility kind of seems like MU's calling card, and I'm not sure it's any crazier to hedge on the coaching contract than on a player's. Although there isn't a coaching cap, so maybe that's pointless.
            "Bruno?
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I guess I'd be disappointed if he didn't at least interview other coaches before retaining Casey, if that's the route he goes.
              From an informed shopping perspective, it would make a lot of sense to do so.

But from a relationship maintenance standpoint, it tells Casey that he's not entirely trusted.

Comment

It has a lot to do with coaching, assistant coaching, as in the new assistant coaches that Masai forced on Casey this year are why Casey finally doesn't look like shit.
                How on Earth could you know that?

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  How on Earth could you know that?
                  Well I'm sure they've had an effect.

But I'm also sure appropriate player personnel has helped. Casey didn't ever have a complete, rounded roster until the Gay trade. It's a little of both, and it's not the end of the world to have a coach who relies on assistants (to a certain extent) and can't turn a rag-tag bunch of effortless scrubs (led by Bargnani and Gay) into a successful team.
                  Last edited by stooley; Fri May 2, 2014, 11:20 AM.
                  "Bruno?
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                    Well I'm sure they've had an effect.

But I'm also sure appropriate player personnel has helped. Casey didn't ever have a complete, rounded roster until the Gay trade. It's a little of both, and it's not the end of the world to have a coach who relies on assistants (to a certain extent) and can't turn a rag-tag bunch of effortless scrubs (led by Bargnani and Gay) into a successful team.
                    And, of course, remember how the team looked before the Gay trade...when these new assistants were very much a part of the staff
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Budenholzer is the perfect example of what I'm looking for. He could be championship caliber, and looks really good so far with a very under-talented squad. If they had Horford healthy they might be title contenders the way the East shook out.
                      Many could say the same of Casey.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        Many could say the same of Casey.
                        If we had Horford, we'd be a title contender.

Lets gooo baby!
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Lets gooo baby!
                          haha, but not what I meant.

Comment

IMO, the coaches job is to motivate the players, develop culture, to get them to believe in themselves and the team, and to buy in to the system, whatever that is. I have no issues if assistants are completely responsible for developing the system the team will employ. In many cases, I would actually expect them to, and I wouldn't doubt at all if the most successful teams have assistants worry about the x's and o's. Ultimately, even the best system is crap if the players don't buy in, and that is on the head coach. I could care less if Casey can design an offence. He's shown he can design a defence, which is just as important if not more, and more importantly, that he can get his players to play it. And that defensive system Casey has implemented has really defined this teams identity and culture, which has strengthened the locker room and chemistry btw players and staff. No doubt he can improve but as far as I'm concerned he has earned the right to come back.

Comment

Please no. This team just got to the playoffs, and this team has overachieved. I know, I was one of those at the beginning of the season who wants Casey to be fired, or those who want him to be the tank commander and get replaced in the offseason. We witnessed how sloppy his offensive sets were (if any), how he calls untimely timeouts, and questionable rotations (Aaron Grey guarding Kobe in the perimeter last year LOL).

But we all so that Coach Casey also improved a lot in his game decisions, after timeout plays, rotations. They're not perfect but he's getting better compared to how he was when he first started, last year, Gay era, etc. He's also one of the classiest coaches who never trashes his players in the media or try to drop F-bombs on interviews just to give himself a tough guy image. Masai also gave him a great support personnel in Nurse and Bayno, who I believe are instrumental in the improvement on how offensive sets are run.

Coaches also grow with the team's growth. Plus we are all witnesses on how this roster is one of the healthiest in the league due to their love and desire to play for one another, and of course, the coach is a key player in that. I'd give him at least 2 years, depending on which direction Masai wants the team to be. Next year should be this team's biggest test, as for sure, the East will be more competitive. This team has to prove that this season was not a fluke.

Comment

Lets gooo baby!
                                One big reason to actually aim for 2016 capspace.

Comment

Working...
                                X