Raptors vs. Blazers, January 2nd, 2013, #Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    Just to expend on the above point, without sounding like a dick.

I feel that it wasn't all that long ago a mere thousands of years, for some of us even less, when we raped and killed as a course of survival. This instinct, will not just disappear from human evolution in a few thousands of years. We actually selected for it for hundreds of thousands of years.

The way this instinct materializes itself in today's society is sports. Something in our male psyche, makes us want to get together with others from our city and root against another city. Almost as if its a symbolic gesture of war. We live vicariously through these mercenaries we call athletes. They satisfy the craving we have for competition, dominance and victory.

Sport is just a way to satisfy our faulty wiring that will take countless of generations to undo. (its still better than war)

I probably would not throw a mouth guard, but for some reason I would smile if I saw many others throw them, I am just being honest with you. (I was just having fun with the mouth guard idea, the edit in parentheses showed my remorse, i know better - but, truth be told, we are all animals, Amir, the fans, I don't know, maybe if I had a mouth guard on me I could of been pissed enough to throw it... hard to say. )
    +1. great perspective

Comment

Just to expend on the above point, without sounding like a dick.

I feel that it wasn't all that long ago a mere thousands of years, for some of us even less, when we raped and killed as a course of survival. This instinct, will not just disappear from human evolution in a few thousands of years. We actually selected for it for hundreds of thousands of years.

The way this instinct materializes itself in today's society is sports. Something in our male psyche, makes us want to get together with others from our city and root against another city. Almost as if its a symbolic gesture of war. We live vicariously through these mercenaries we call athletes. They satisfy the craving we have for competition, dominance and victory.

Sport is just a way to satisfy our faulty wiring that will take countless of generations to undo. (its still better than war)

I probably would not throw a mouth guard, but for some reason I would smile if I saw many others throw them, I am just being honest with you. (I was just having fun with the mouth guard idea, the edit in parentheses showed my remorse, i know better - but, truth be told, we are all animals, Amir, the fans, I don't know, maybe if I had a mouth guard on me I could of been pissed enough to throw it... hard to say. )
      nice. I've always thought about this but could never quite put it in words.

Comment

Well thought out BasketballCrush.

Comment

At some point I needed to rationalize all the time wasted. Watching others play a game does not put money on the table for most of us, but it does seem to satisfy this vicarious instinct for competition that idles within us...

I told an ex once, that sports, was just a soap opera for men, but with grunts and high fives. She thought it was a brilliant and I got laid.

...but enough of the deep shit. It's revenge time. I hope the anger amongst Raptor players with what happened last meeting is starting to burn. This game I only want to see mouth guards flying from the other team, whether it be precipitated by an elbow, frustration, its all the same to me, as long as we get the win.

Comment

At some point I needed to rationalize all the time wasted. Watching others play a game does not put money on the table for most of us, but it does seem to satisfy this vicarious instinct for competition that idles within us...

I told an ex once, that sports, was just a soap opera for men, but with grunts and high fives. She thought it was a brilliant and I got laid.

...but enough of the deep shit. It's revenge time. I hope the anger amongst Raptor players with what happened last meeting is starting to burn. This game I only want to see mouth guards flying from the other team, whether it be precipitated by an elbow, frustration, its all the same to me, as long as we get the win.
            Numerous parallels to religion exist as well.

Comment

You should see my prayer room. Signed program from opening day at the ACC by Tmac, countless number of shirts and jerseys, stubs, and even printed tickets from years where playoffs were not realized, but nevertheless were sold to season ticket holders only to have MLSE reimburse us, or use it for the re-up. I gots all the cheesy season ticket holder gifts, some of them are lame, like a plaque with my name in one of the lockers, telling me I am part of the team (i think all the season ticket holders got it that year).

I feel like Tom Hanks, I am soon going to have to put a basketball on a mount and start talking to it.

... but today I pray that Zeus grants us victory and allows us to humiliate our enemies and make their supporters cry in excruciating pain.

Last edited by BasketballCrush; Wed Jan 2, 2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

You should see my prayer room. Signed program from opening day at the ACC by Tmac, countless number of shirts and jerseys, stubs, and even printed tickets from years where playoffs were not realized, but nevertheless were sold to season ticket holders only to have MLSE reimburse us, or use it for the re-up. I gots all the cheesy season ticket holder gifts, some of them are lame, like a plaque with my name in one of the lockers, telling me I am part of the team (i think all the season ticket holders got it that year).

I feel like Tom Hanks, I am soon going to have to put a basketball on a mount and start talking to it.

... but today I pray that Zeus grants us victory and allows us to humiliate our enemies and make their supporters cry in excruciating pain.
                Amen.

Comment

Last night the starters score 92 of there 105 points. We should have an advantage with are bench. Their starters must be exhausted after all that scoring.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    Last night the starters score 92 of there 105 points. We should have an advantage with are bench. Their starters must be exhausted after all that scoring.
                    Good point.. however what I'm worried about is the hangover from New Year's. The Raptors got spanked when they played the Spurs after Christmas. Portland won't have that same issue since they played yesterday.

I think we can beat them though.. but they are a playoff team right now and the Raptors are not. Definitely a good test.

Comment

good thinking planetmars, I know exactly what you mean. Hope they got over the hangover fast. Wins never get easier, they are always difficult. Hope the holidays have not made our group too soft, portland got woken the *f* up last night
                      Last edited by BasketballCrush; Wed Jan 2, 2013, 02:58 PM.

Comment

(on second thought) this time its personal, I think the players are going to be alright, there is a little matter that needs to be taken care of

Comment

This is the most important game of the season thus far, in my opinion. I hope the boys came to play. I really hope Demar especially rises to the occasion and has a big night.

Comment

Comment

Portland fans seem extremely confident in winning this game.
                              Like the raps are a joke.
                              Hope our boys bring it tonight.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X