SI responds to an email question about the Raps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craiger wrote: View Post
    I'm reading this thread. Shaking my head. And wondering what kind of narcotic Bargnani's name gives off to make people so addicted to him.

Just one last hit.... just one more drink.... just one more taste.....
    I'd normally agree with you, but right now trading Bargs for scrap is utterly pointless. There is literally nothing to lose from letting him play out the season if all you can get for him is another bad contract. What do you gain from amnestying him? What do you gain from exchanging bad contracts unless you get a player back that fills a hole? The Raps are giving minutes to Gray and Acy purely out of need, not because they're great basketball players. If Bargs can outplay them for minutes, let him. If not, you have exactly the same options at the end of the season as you do right now.

It's not really about thinking that Bargs is going to break out all of a sudden. It's about realizing that waiting to see if he can actually contribute is the only logical play. I realize fans just want to see him gone, but that's an emotional reaction that's trumping logic.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
      I'd normally agree with you, but right now trading Bargs for scrap is utterly pointless. There is literally nothing to lose from letting him play out the season if all you can get for him is another bad contract. What do you gain from amnestying him? What do you gain from exchanging bad contracts unless you get a player back that fills a hole? The Raps are giving minutes to Gray and Acy purely out of need, not because they're great basketball players. If Bargs can outplay them for minutes, let him. If not, you have exactly the same options at the end of the season as you do right now.

It's not really about thinking that Bargs is going to break out all of a sudden. It's about realizing that waiting to see if he can actually contribute is the only logical play. I realize fans just want to see him gone, but that's an emotional reaction that's trumping logic.
      Agreed. Raps want Barg's gone for emotional reasons. Barg's as a tiertiary option and not the go to guy should net better results. At the end of the day, Barg's $10M isn't that bad when you consider what most big men make if they show some talent. Javale Mcgee at $10M or Barg's at $10M? Not all that out there for a big man. Let him try out his new role and treat him appropriately (aka - don't give him minutes just because, make him earn them)
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post

Well I'll point out my comment wasn't about 'letting things play out'. Its about the number of people who are talking about trying to find way to make him fit, asking "what ifs" should he improve etc.

That said, I think there are numerous reason to move him in short order. Although I agree not for another long term bad contract (as I've said many times before any deal for Bargnani shouldn't be for anything less than what amnestying him offers).

I also completely disagree with the statement that its for "emotional reasons". There are plent of practical purposes to trading him, even for pennies on the dollar. Something is better than nothing, and there is a real possibility his stock hasn't stopped dropping or won't improve. Its also not improbable that him losing his starting role or playing time could lead to other internal problems. Waiting to see if he can actually contribute is NOT the only logical play. Its one play, but not the only logical one. I think that in and of itself, while maybe not an emotional reason, is faulty reasoning.

Comment

Working...
        X