Raptors Re-Brand Under Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

consmap wrote: View Post
    Will they just be changing the color and designs of the uniform and logo, or will they be changing the name of the team as well?

Personally I'd like them to keep the Raptors name.
    Pretty sure Drake said something about he won't let the Raptors change their name if he has anything to do with the re-branding.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

I stopped getting visions of Jurassic Park back in 1996. Although it was the inspiration behind the name originally, it's been so long that I can't even say a connection with the movie exists anymore.

I'm pretty sure most NBA fans see the Raptors as a basketball team, and not as an homage to Spielberg.

EDIT: Or his Mexican equivalent, Senor Spielbergo

Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Jan 17, 2014, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Not sure why you guys are complaining about Drake. The guy is friends with almost every NBA superstar and basically the entire world loves him (even if you don't like his music I guarantee your lady friends like to dance to it). His sense of style is way better than the assclowns who have been designing our jerseys the past 20 years. Black and gold, if we go that way, isn't some trendy new color scheme. It's been used in US pro sports for almost 50 years (Saints, Penguins). If anything, Drake's influence will make the jerseys more simple, like the OVO logo, and less stupid like a dinosaur wearing a basketball jersey dribbling a basketball. We've got one of the most popular guys on the planet working with one of the best design firms on the planet and people are still complaining, unbelievable...

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
          Not sure why you guys are complaining about Drake. The guy is friends with almost every NBA superstar and basically the entire world loves him (even if you don't like his music I guarantee your lady friends like to dance to it). His sense of style is way better than the assclowns who have been designing our jerseys the past 20 years. Black and gold, if we go that way, isn't some trendy new color scheme. It's been used in US pro sports for almost 50 years (Saints, Penguins). If anything, Drake's influence will make the jerseys more simple, like the OVO logo, and less stupid like a dinosaur wearing a basketball jersey dribbling a basketball. We've got one of the most popular guys on the planet working with one of the best design firms on the planet and people are still complaining, unbelievable...
          what does popularity or star power have anything to do with good design?

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
            what does popularity or star power have anything to do with good design?
            They hired Sid Lee (you know, the Design firm), to do the design. Not Drake. He's just there to tell Sid Lee if he likes it or not. Would you rather have Drake rubber stamp the new Uni's, or Tim Leiweke? I'd rather the guy with style than old rich white guy that no one can relate to.
            NBA stars are massively influenced by pop culture, just look at the ridiculous outfits they wear at post game conferences. I think players would be excited to play in uniforms in which Drake had a hand in.

Comment

Totally agree Primer.
              Just look at Jay-Z starting his own Sports Management Firm, and getting guys like Cano, Sabathia, DURANT etc.
              End of the day, these guys are fans of each other, and when there's that mutual admiration, I say it goes a long way.

Comment

I was surprised to read that this Sid Lee firm were the ones to create the Jermain Defoe commercial. When I first saw it I thought it was well done and even funny. which is weird to say because commercials are usually a pain in the ass - but this one really caught my attention.

Pretty content with this decision as im now haring they were also behind the adidas and Red Bull rebrands

Comment

Would you rather have Drake rubber stamp the new Uni's, or Tim Leiweke? I'd rather the guy with style than old rich white guy that no one can relate to.
                  Um, ok, here's where I stop you. While I am completely with your Drake support, I think you might be a little misguided as to what Leiweke does for a living. The guy knows the pro sports game, is is not, as you put it some "old rich white guy that n oone can relate to". He is a professional. His colour means absolutely nothing. Leiweke used to run the Lakers, and the Galaxy, as well as a few arena's, VERY successfully. What he will do, is turn Toronto into something like LA. I think he might have a little bit of insight on things like uniforms if asked.

Know what im saying?

And this isn't a hip hop album cover, so I am not sure why it matters if a guy is old or young and "hip". A uniform made to mirror whats hip at the moment would be a monumental flop....

Comment

They hired Sid Lee (you know, the Design firm), to do the design. Not Drake. He's just there to tell Sid Lee if he likes it or not. Would you rather have Drake rubber stamp the new Uni's, or Tim Leiweke? I'd rather the guy with style than old rich white guy that no one can relate to.
                    NBA stars are massively influenced by pop culture, just look at the ridiculous outfits they wear at post game conferences. I think players would be excited to play in uniforms in which Drake had a hand in.
                    um yeah, i know sid lee. we have ex-sid lee employees at our agency. like i said, having a celebrity attached to a rebrand has nothing to do with good design. tim leiweke will be signing off on these regardless of drakes involvement. its up to sid lee to convince tim on the route of the rebrand and how its applicable to the teams future goals. thats how pitches and client presentations work.

it could also go the other way depending on how involved tim wants to be. our agency has done a lot of the led ribbon work at hockey games as well as maple leafs ads and a ton of hockey-related spots. tim leiweke does not touch any of this.
                    Last edited by iblastoff; Fri Jan 17, 2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                      Um, ok, here's where I stop you. While I am completely with your Drake support, I think you might be a little misguided as to what Leiweke does for a living. The guy knows the pro sports game, is is not, as you put it some "old rich white guy that n oone can relate to". He is a professional. His colour means absolutely nothing. Leiweke used to run the Lakers, and the Galaxy, as well as a few arena's, VERY successfully. What he will do, is turn Toronto into something like LA. I think he might have a little bit of insight on things like uniforms if asked.

Know what im saying?

And this isn't a hip hop album cover, so I am not sure why it matters if a guy is old or young and "hip". A uniform made to mirror whats hip at the moment would be a monumental flop....
                      I trust Tim, and he's the one who brought in Drake. So obviously Leiweke thinks Drake has a better handle on rebranding then he does. So, we agree?

Comment

please no purple
                        in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

I trust Tim, and he's the one who brought in Drake. So obviously Leiweke thinks Drake has a better handle on rebranding then he does. So, we agree?
                          Drake is not the one doing the god damn rebranding. He's there as celebrity endorsement. Alicia keys was "global creative director" for blackberry but you'd have to be a fool to believe she had any real creative involvement with the company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                          Last edited by iblastoff; Sat Jan 18, 2014, 01:07 AM.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                            Drake is not the one doing the god damn rebranding. He's there as celebrity endorsement. Alicia keys was "global creative director" for blackberry but you'd have to be a fool to believe she had any real creative involvement with the company.
                            These are two completely different situations. Drake is obviously passionate about Toronto Sports. Alicia Keys didn't even use the BB she was supposed to be endorsing.

Comment

Give this man beer. Although I'm not a fan of his music (I'm 41 and still in love with old school hip-hop), Drake captures the essence of what works now. This partnership works whether we like Drake or not.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post

Know what im saying?

Exactly. Plenty of people complain about the dinosaur and crap now and that was hip at the time. Now
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X