My Bargs-Gasol trade proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Bargs-Gasol trade proposal

There seems to be a lot of speculation about this among fans, and I even responded to some other trade thread about this potential deal. At first I thought that this would have to be a 3 or 4 team deal at least to make it work, but I'm not so sure. LA wouldn't want too much change if they're going to make a run at the title, and frankly don't have much else to offer in a trade. Anyway, here is my suggestion for how a straight-up deal would have to look, in my opinion.

LA gets: Bargs-Gray- Kleiza/Fields...most would assume Ed/Amir, but with Jordan Hill and Antawn Jamison, what LA will really need if they lose Gasol is more size, and that's Gray. This deal gives LA 3 things they need without them having to give up much. First, they get Bargs, and get a D'Antoni type lineup, with one real big (Dwight) and a bunch of perimeter players, except this time D'Antoni will actually have 2 bigs on D, and Bargs rebounding issues should be less problematic both because of Howard, and because of the system. Second, they get Gray, and they could use a dependable vet behind Howard because right now Sacre is the only other truly big body. Third, they get wing depth. D'Antoni likes Fields, as he praised him frequently him NY. But if the brass don't like his contract, I can see them settling for Kleiza, who as a 3/4, gives them another decent rebounder if they use unconventional lineups at times. In a straight-up deal, I don't know that any team can offer as decent a package and only really take back Gasol.

Toronto gets: Gasol. Period. Gives us a true post player who knows how to pass the ball, and can thus serve as an actual go to player in the post for us. It's definitely a risk with his sudden knee issues, but I'd still take him starting 1/2 or 2/3 of possible games than the way Bargs is playing now for every game. He would mesh well with our shooters by initiating our inside-outside game, be able to hit JV, Ed and Amir with cuts in the paint, and actually rebound like a big man, which would give us 4 good rebounding bigs for the first time ever!!!

Potential issues:
    -cap space....no team is really better off after this deal, but also neither team's flexibility is destroyed. If LA demands cap relief, we can't offer it. This is the most likely reason for a 3rd team to get involved, as LA also doesn't have a lot of assets. They can't offer money either, won't have high picks, and they wouldn't get much return for their other players.
    -draft picks.....the main reason I think a straight up deal is possible. TO won't demand one, even if they might want to replace the one they may lose to Houston. Can't see it being a dealbreaker for LA either, since they're still poised to contend for the next couple of seasons, so youngsters won't get much playing time.
    -roster space.....strictly speaking, the deal doesn't work straight up. LA would either need to waive a couple of players or send them to us, which in turn might alter the deal a bit if we have to throw in another player. Pretty much any 2 of Clark, Ebanks, Morris, Johnson-Odom and Sacre. I'm indifferent as I don't think any of these players will find more success or opportunity in Toronto. This should only alter details of the trade though.

For what it's worth:
    The deal of Bargs-Gray- Fields or Kleiza straight up for Gasol, works on ESPN trade machine. Hard to tell beyond that because a lot of the spare parts LA might waive or throw in won't be available til Dec 15, so trade machine doesn't let you use them(and LA's roster doesn't have similar contracts). Again though, if it's just down to spare parts, it should not affect whether the deal goes through.

lol bargnani will look so ugly in yellow

Comment

Terrible

Am I the only one that thinks trading for Gasol is a terrible idea? Why would we want to add a 32 year old making 20 million this year and next? We are still a young rebuilding team that is not winning a championship any time soon so how does this deal make any sense to us. There is a reason the Lakers have failed to trade Gasol after years of trying - his value is just not that high.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
        I'm a Lakers fan since the Showtime days. I wouldn't even consider taking anyone from the Raps except Lowry. You're not getting the best post scorer in the NBA for squat. Gasol's contract also expires the year Lebronniac becomes a FA, which is equally important. A potential Gasol trade would have to involve a team with lots of wing/pg assets, for example Houston or Portland. Toronto has one asset.
        I dunno, Calderon and Bargs for ol' man gasol is pretty sweet. Jose is up at end of the year and the Lakeshow is dying for pg help and has been since Fishers 49th birthday 5 years ago. A JC/Nash PG combo would be beautiful in terms of offensive flow and give LAL some real perimetre scoring while AB makes half of what Gasol does and fits better with Dwight and helps spread the floor for the cutters. He'd be great in a triangle-ish offence.

Gasol is the best player in this deal but considering contract and age (especially given LALs age issue overall) I think this'd be a better deal for LA than TOR.
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
          I dunno, Calderon and Bargs for ol' man gasol is pretty sweet. Jose is up at end of the year and the Lakeshow is dying for pg help and has been since Fishers 49th birthday 5 years ago. A JC/Nash PG combo would be beautiful in terms of offensive flow and give LAL some real perimetre scoring while AB makes half of what Gasol does and fits better with Dwight and helps spread the floor for the cutters. He'd be great in a triangle-ish offence.

Gasol is the best player in this deal but considering contract and age (especially given LALs age issue overall) I think this'd be a better deal for LA than TOR.
          But wouldn't Bargnani's contract pretty much eliminate any chance of the Lakers making a run for LeBron in the summer of 2014 (something the rumour mill has stated they will attempt)? Assuming LeBron opts out, of course.

Comment

hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaahahahahahaha hahahaha

First ballot hall of famer for a guy who sends Kwame Brown Christmas cards thanking him for not making him the worst #1 draft pick in history.

Maybe we should trade Landry Fields for Dwayne Wade after.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              But wouldn't Bargnani's contract pretty much eliminate any chance of the Lakers making a run for LeBron in the summer of 2014 (something the rumour mill has stated they will attempt)? Assuming LeBron opts out, of course.
              oh, yeah I so forgot about that inevitability. D'uhhh where's my head at?

At any rate that's 2 years away, Lakeshow are IN THE MOMENT players they'll deal with Lebron when they are ready.
              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post

First ballot hall of famer for a guy who sends Kwame Brown Christmas cards thanking him for not making him the worst #1 draft pick in history.

1st ballot hall of famer who's 32, doesn't seem to be a great fit for the new system, has a huge contract and just revealed he has tendinitis in both knees....yeah, that'll draw big offers

Comment

I'm not going to say much about the 2014 crap...2 years away, and no way LA hangs onto a player until then JUST to let his contract expire. They'll make a move if they have to, and the one I suggest won't screw them in that sense. They get slightly less salary in return, and Gray and Kleiza (if it's Kleiza), both come off in 2014. They'd clearly still have pretty decent space, and they could always try and trade Bargs down the line just for cap relief if they really want to.

Comment

LA is not getting Bron Bron. I seriously doubt he'll leave Miami

Comment

Decision pt 2 would be the best thing ever: i'm taking my talents to Venice beach, then miami #6 jerseys burning everywhere, people crying, there.would be a video of rappers tripping their balls of watching it, Jack Nicholson having a heart atack ( because of hapines) and dying with a bonner but seriuosly Bron Bron aint going anywhere, he regained his popularity after winning the 'ship he wouldnt do anything to jeopradize it. Gasol is playing shitty right now, because of the culture change, he would do much better in toronto and as a fan i dont care about his salary, because, quite frankly, we would have the fucking flexibility, but wouldnt sign anybody relevant, we would overpay scrubs and would have to rebuild through the draft ( which is nearly imposible when youre constantly getting 7-13 picks)its better to overpay a semi-old allstar, than sign a SF that cant shoot, or sign a couple of other no name scrubs. Trade to win, play to win, improve the young ones, dont hord the bagage of the past (Bargnani) and when our team improves it will be much easier to get better free agents

Comment

Gasol would help JV with his development. Maybe even Ed Davis too

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post

olowakandi/oden

and landy and wades contracts don't match

Comment

This Trade works because everyone wins......Clips can start Hill or BArnes to balance out the starting 5 get a great facilitaor with calderon and a second option on the second unit with bargs alongside Crawford ....toronto gets a back pg and talented one at that with bledsoe and a starting caliber SF in Butler and a ok Pf with Odom ....... http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bq92q2h

Comment

Working...
                            X