Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Culture Change Needed

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt2

This article is at NBA.com and people can take a look at it. It's about the lakers and how they're worried about their roster not living up to its potential so they're willing to shake things up a bit.

I know it's about the Lakers, who I hate with every fibre of my being, but there's somethign underlying that struck me. This team is having a good season with a few bad losses and the management is not happy with the results. They're worried about losing home games, etc and I'm looking at it and thinking, we're happy about winning a game. We're happy when we beat the teams we're supposed to beat and it's ok when we lose to some of the better teams in the league.

This culture has to change and change soon. Nothing will define us more as a bad team than this attitude that there are certain teams that we can lose to. Technically we shouldn't lose to anyone and it should never be ok to lose even a single possession.

I don't know whether that's part of this whole rebuild that Colangelo is doing but there needs to be more of a Bayless attitude about losing. "it's unacceptable and embarassing" and then they need to go out and win. That's what every possession should be like. Give it your all and get a good look at the hoop. Turnovers are embarassing and unacceptable, 25+ points in a quarter for the other team is embarrassing and unacceptable, shooting below 50%, giving up fast-break points, Getting out rebounded, etc. That's how these kids need to feel and no one should be happy with mediocrity. If someone isn't willing to do their part then park them on the bench.

I know there will be kinks in the road because we're rebuilding and developing but this type of attitude can be instilled in these kids and HAS to be. They can start by playing hard defense and if your center doesn't want to hussle and play hard (blockign shots, getting rebounds, boxing out) then put dorsey in for 35 minutes. You know he'll go at people hard every time.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I think expectations need to be weighed when looking at something like this.
    For a team like the Lakers, its not about NOT making the Playoffs. Thats a given. So where a team like the Raps would be celebrating a berth in the Playoffs, a team like the Lakers is simply expecting that. That said, it's been said that losing in the Finals is INFINITELY harder than being knocked out in the first round. It's all about expectations.
    Its just like when Detroit had just finished making it to 15 Eastern Conference Finals in a row (or something like that ), but they still went and fired their coach and revamped everything. It was no longer acceptable to just be Good. The expectations make it so you must be the BEST. Once the 'culture' is changed, than hopefully these expectations will come about, but right now we're not even in the same league as the Lakers, and thusly can't even really compare situations. In my opinion. Was a great read though.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I don't disagree with any of this, but I think expectations need to be weighed when looking at something like this.
      For a team like the Lakers, its not about NOT making the Playoffs. Thats a given. So where a team like the Raps would be celebrating a berth in the Playoffs, a team like the Lakers is simply expecting that. That said, it's been said that losing in the Finals is INFINITELY harder than being knocked out in the first round. It's all about expectations.
      Its just like when Detroit had just finished making it to 15 Eastern Conference Finals in a row (or something like that ), but they still went and fired their coach and revamped everything. It was no longer acceptable to just be Good. The expectations make it so you must be the BEST. Once the 'culture' is changed, than hopefully these expectations will come about, but right now we're not even in the same league as the Lakers, and thusly can't even really compare situations. In my opinion. Was a great read though.
      I agree with you. I tried to emphasize the point at the end that rebuilding won't let us be at the same level as the lakers right now, but those thing I mentioned can start getting engrained now. Take it game by game and let the team know what you expect and then hold them accountable. You can't keep someone accountable who doesn't know the standards you've set and you can't expect them to keep your standards if you don't hold them strictly accountable. That can't start when the team grows to regularly being in the playoffs, that culture has to start now.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
        I agree with you. I tried to emphasize the point at the end that rebuilding won't let us be at the same level as the lakers right now, but those thing I mentioned can start getting engrained now. Take it game by game and let the team know what you expect and then hold them accountable. You can't keep someone accountable who doesn't know the standards you've set and you can't expect them to keep your standards if you don't hold them strictly accountable. That can't start when the team grows to regularly being in the playoffs, that culture has to start now.
        I Dig it.

Comment

100% agree!

Comment

This article is at NBA.com and people can take a look at it. It's about the lakers and how they're worried about their roster not living up to its potential so they're willing to shake things up a bit.

I know it's about the Lakers, who I hate with every fibre of my being, but there's somethign underlying that struck me. This team is having a good season with a few bad losses and the management is not happy with the results. They're worried about losing home games, etc and I'm looking at it and thinking, we're happy about winning a game. We're happy when we beat the teams we're supposed to beat and it's ok when we lose to some of the better teams in the league.

This culture has to change and change soon. Nothing will define us more as a bad team than this attitude that there are certain teams that we can lose to. Technically we shouldn't lose to anyone and it should never be ok to lose even a single possession.

I don't know whether that's part of this whole rebuild that Colangelo is doing but there needs to be more of a Bayless attitude about losing. "it's unacceptable and embarassing" and then they need to go out and win. That's what every possession should be like. Give it your all and get a good look at the hoop. Turnovers are embarassing and unacceptable, 25+ points in a quarter for the other team is embarrassing and unacceptable, shooting below 50%, giving up fast-break points, Getting out rebounded, etc. That's how these kids need to feel and no one should be happy with mediocrity. If someone isn't willing to do their part then park them on the bench.

I know there will be kinks in the road because we're rebuilding and developing but this type of attitude can be instilled in these kids and HAS to be. They can start by playing hard defense and if your center doesn't want to hussle and play hard (blockign shots, getting rebounds, boxing out) then put dorsey in for 35 minutes. You know he'll go at people hard every time.
            The big problems with the Lakers is that Pau Gasol has clearly lost a step, he can`t be the intimidating factor in the post he was for the last 2 years for the Lakers because he is old already.

Couple that with the offensive and defensive struggles of Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant`s show when his teammates don`t show up by not passing the ball and going 1 against 5 and Andrew Bynum`s knee problems - that is a double whammy.

Imo, I don`t see Lakers passing the Spurs(especially if it goes to Game 7 where the Spurs will be at home and have had an excellent home record already) or the Dallas Mavericks in the West. I see a Spurs - Celtics NBA finals where Celtics deal the Spurs their first NBA finals loss under Tim Duncan and have banner number 18 on their rafters.

Comment

+1 about the attitude change for the Raps though. We are the nice guys of the NBA, we are being punked and are a joke of the league every game. What is that saying again - ``Nice guys finish last``.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                The big problems with the Lakers is that Pau Gasol has clearly lost a step, he can`t be the intimidating factor in the post he was for the last 2 years for the Lakers because he is old already.
                How did Pau lost a step?
                He is averaging the same numbers for the last 3 years.18-10-50%
                I would blame more Kobe rather than Gasol for some losses,as he is their primary offensive player,and often tends to shot too much(takes some bad shots).

Comment

core2man wrote: View Post
                  How did Pau lost a step?
                  He is averaging the same numbers for the last 3 years.18-10-50%
                  I would blame more Kobe rather than Gasol for some losses,as he is their primary offensive player,and often tends to shot too much(takes some bad shots).
                  When someone loses a step - it might not how up in numbers(this is why I am not a fan of statistics as it does not show the whole picture, it is better to watch the game instead to see what is happening).

I have watched Lakers games this year - one thing is apparent guards and big men get into the paint now without a fear of getting blocked or draw Pau Gasol out of the paint and put 2 big men in the paint on a "broken down" Andrew Bynum for a likely offensive rebound.

If that is not losing a step, I don't know what is considering that Pau Gasol in the past two years has been an excellent post presence for the Lakers in terms of intimidation and blocks(whereas now, he has reverted back to the 2008 Pau Gasol that was soft).

I will give you the Kobe Bryant "black hole" stuff though(He is a surefire first ballot hall-of-famer but could have won more games, rings and MVPs if he were not such a blackhole or ball hog - case in point 6-25 shooting in Game 7 of the NBA finals if the Celtics were just adequate in rebounding(not dead last in rebounding they have been for last year) and had Kendrick Perkins, they would have won the championship).

Comment

Working...
                  X