2012 Raptors Republic Mock Draft: Fan Edition - 2nd Overall Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I chose MKG.

Yes, he's far from a reliable perimeter scorer right now, but Charlotte is so far away from "contention", they can afford to bring him along slowly. He could [arguably] be the best player from this draft class in 4-5 years. Jordan's got to be thinking long-term here.

Comment

Then again, there were rumblings that Charlotte would be looking to move the pick, so any selection they make, could in theory, be on behalf of another team (which throws our guess work out the window completely...lol).

Comment

I chose Robinson. If the Raptors were there MKG. Both are leaders. MKG can defend multiple positions. With his work ethic and being just 18 he has much growth left in his game (his shot, ball handling).

Comment

MKG

I think he's #2.

Comment

#3 should be interesting...
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

MKG is such a terrible shooter, they would do nothing about their already terrible offense if they pick him. Considering MKG isn't head and shoulders above all other possible picks (from what I've read) it would make sense to go with a player who isn't that much of a project with more skills. Gonna be hard to get some positivity in town and attendence numbers up knowing you are again going to be the worst team in the NBA by a longshot.

Comment

Beal

I chose Beal.

Charlotte certainly needs a lot more talent if they hope to climb out of the bottom. Scoring is one of their major weaknesses (last in fg% - last in 3pt%). As such, with the need for talented shooters, and Beal having the knack - this is where I think they may go.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                  MKG is such a terrible shooter, they would do nothing about their already terrible offense if they pick him. Considering MKG isn't head and shoulders above all other possible picks (from what I've read) it would make sense to go with a player who isn't that much of a project with more skills. Gonna be hard to get some positivity in town and attendence numbers up knowing you are again going to be the worst team in the NBA by a longshot.
                  Always go with the top talent and worry about making it work later. A trade is a lot easier to explain than passing on a star or superstar.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Always go with the top talent and worry about making it work later. A trade is a lot easier to explain than passing on a star or superstar.
                    I agree with that in part. But I don't think he is higher on the talent ladder than some other players, thus not making him the (consensus) best player available. In fact, my personal opinion is that he is one of the most likely busts, because if he can't fix his shot all he is ever going to be is Julian Wright. If he had been on a less talented college team where he had to be the go to guy, how high would he have been projected?

Furthermore, if a player a team drafts doesn't look that good because of a bad fit or a logjam (think Williams, 2nd pick from last year) it will be very hard to trade him for the value of a 2nd pick. If you look at what OKC has done in the draft with Westbrook and Harden; i don't remember them being the (consensus) best players available (in hindsight, yes maybe); they were - at least partly - selected because of need and fit (without being enormous reaches) and projected roles.

In general I'd say that you go with the best player available if there is a clear best player available (like Davis);otherwise you need to take fit and need into account, because for one, if the fit's wrong, the production will be less and the drafted players value will go down and secondly it's not that easy to get what you need and for the value you want (money as well as talent level) in a trade later on.

I have to put in the disclaimer that besides some scouting videos and some parts of the NCAA tournament my knowledge is only based on what I've read.

Comment

I'm not sure the Bobcats will care what Chad Ford or DraftExpress.com think. They'll have their own draft board. They have to live with the pick long term. They need to make sure they get the best guy. It's not like we're talking about a team that's one player away from contending. This team is absolutely horrible and 95% of this roster will not be in Charlotte in two to three years. So, to take one guy who you might not feel is as good as the top guy on your draft board but fills a hole is kind of short sighted in my mind. It's sounds like what the Raptors did when they took Hoffa over Iggy.

Comment

You would be right if they would pick Leonard, but not if they instead go with someone like Beal where I believe it's hard to say that MKG is (clearly) the better talent.

How was this during the draft of Araujo? I didn't follow much of the drafts in those years; was Iguodala considered in the same tier or as a clearly better talent?

Comment

I would have to agree, I don;t think there is a clear second. I would say Beal or Robinson are the safest pick at 2 and 3. Now that their heights have been confirmed in a positive manner I think they will be the next two taken. I think with Byombo being such a raw player, why would you take another in MKG? They both bring energy, but little else on the offensive end after that.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            You would be right if they would pick Leonard, but not if they instead go with someone like Beal where I believe it's hard to say that MKG is (clearly) the better talent.

How was this during the draft of Araujo? I didn't follow much of the drafts in those years; was Iguodala considered in the same tier or as a clearly better talent?
                            Yes, even Chuck $&@? a brick when Hoffa's name was called. It was a unanimous W.T.F. moment.

Comment

There is obviously a reason why MKG is rated so high by the scouting community. That reason I believe is his ferocious tenacity, physicality and the hidden skills like setting v. good picks and great defense. There is no question that he has a flaw in his shot and would have trouble immediately trying to create a shot in the half court but if he got the ball in the paint he is very proficient getting to the rim. There is one anecdote about him when he first joined UK (just turning 18) about how he managed to get everyone on the same page, subjugated his game and was accepted as the unquestioned leader on that team...why? because he did things to enable wins. This was a special group of athletes and we know how many will get drafted from it this year. He is immediately on offense, in crunch time, be an asset as an inside scorer (or get fouled) alongwith his defensive stops. And the guy is humble. I am obviously biased (lol) having also caught about 6-7 of his UK games and the stuff written about him and his relationships.

I will accept that he does need some talent around him for his skills to fully be displayed but he is reportedly a very hard worker in practice and with his current age, in time, improve the skills he is currently lacking.

Comment

Bobcats considering trading the 2nd pick?

Coincidentally I read that the BobCats maybe considering trading their 2nd pick.

It's a Bleacher scoop!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...all-draft-pick

Should the Raptors kick the tires here? Would they go for the 8th and Bargnani? Would BC do it?

ps...I just threw AB's name in without too much thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X