The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stooley wrote: View Post
    0 defense though, not a casey player, and questionable whether his skills will translate to the NBA when super athletic 3s are guarding him
    I see the D problem, but he is a smart player on both ends.

As for skills translating on O, it's a tough call, but it's not like he was an iso player. He uses screens well and can pass out of the post. So if he can run a p'n'r as a secondary ballhandler with GV on the floor, and make some plays out of the post, that's pretty good. He doesn't have to beat athletes one on one. He's a great passer and his shot is pretty good in terms of him maybe being a threat to knock down open 3s.

Remember I also compared him to the option of Daniels, who Masai said could be stashed, and at best is a 3 and D SF down the line. So it's not like there was another home run option. If you take Kyle and Bruno that's two of the higher potential guys left on the board. I see Kyle as having good 6th man type potential. At 20, that's better than most options, who project more as complimentary role players.

Comment

• I think the Spurs are the best place for Anderson to learn defence.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Kyle Anderson is gonna average like 20 assists per game on the spurs

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• I knew Ujiri saw him at Basketball without borders, but I didn't know his role in the org. I do find that interesting, although I don't think it amounts to any kind of conspiracy. Also, it doesn't bother me that he took him at 20.

More people knew about him than was initially believed, and it doesn't seem like he would have been available at 37. He's a risk/project, but that's okay. Hopefully there's some buy-in from Casey to at least let him on the court a couple times next season.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
            Kyle Anderson is gonna average like 20 assists per game on the spurs

3 years from now when he actually gets playing time
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
              Kyle Anderson is gonna average like 20 assists per game on the spurs

Nah, that's Cory Joseph's job.
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• How about another theory?

Masai is affiliated with a competition in which Bruno became MVP of. Masai therefor had exposure to a player no one else knew about. This player can shoot, dribble, play defense, is 6'9'' swing man with 7'7'' wingspan, is agile and explosive, and only 18. Masai saw enough potential to roll the dice on with a pick outside of the lottery (crapshoot).
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• I had a moment of clairvoyance where I came to peace with the pick... if all Bruno turns into is a pesky wing defender (shows a lot of promise as that) who can knock down open 3s (in the footage I've seen that looks to be the case) Is that alone not worth a 20th pick? He has heart (which you can't teach), and is a gym rat...so ANYTHING he does beyond defense and 3pt shooting will be a bonus.
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                    I had a moment of clairvoyance where I came to peace with the pick... if all Bruno turns into is a pesky wing defender (shows a lot of promise as that) who can knock down open 3s (in the footage I've seen that looks to be the case) Is that alone not worth a 20th pick? He has heart (which you can't teach), and is a gym rat...so ANYTHING he does beyond defense and 3pt shooting will be a bonus.
                    Michael Grange said it best: "if Caboclo is a bust it won't be because he doesn't have the tools to be an NBA player. Impressive."

Comment

• The fact that our GM saw him in person a few times, and was heavily scouted by the org (multiple guys went multiple times) means i'm pretty good with this pick. Either our scouting team is good or it isn't. And if it isn't, there's not much we can do about it but get a new front office.

I don't know whether this guy is going to make an impact or not, but I like the logic behind the selection.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• This thread is ridiculous. Ask yourself, how many times did BC scout any player that he picked? The Raptors brought in more basketball players than they have EVER brought in before the draft. EVER. Those were all guys that they had scouted in advance. That means all those guys had been seen live playinggames by multiple members of the scouting staff.

Additionally, every member of the scouting staff was slipping down to Brazil to scout this kid, probably scouting other kids in other parts of the world as well. After all that, the GM went down multiple times, additional to scouting in Europe and NCAAs. When they were confident about the kid, they had Casey run him through his paces.

The last time Casey got excited over a kid it turned out to be Terrence Ross. I trust his ability to evaluate talent.

According to your theory the GM, every member of the scouting staff, and the head coach must care more about a program -- that has already discovered multiple players who have had opportunities in NCAA, Euroleague and the NBA -- than they care about the team, corporation, and fanbase they are responsible for.

You're saying that BWB is more important than his job? He doesn't direct BWB if he has no job!

Wasn't Alabi picked in the 50's with a bought pick? Wasn't he a BWB player that was scouted through his time at Florida State?

You know Vasquez was discovered by Masai through BWB. He helped him get into high school in the US. Masai has ties to a lot of players. But he's not going to choose to make a team built with players he's known since they were kids over job security, or winning.

Comment

• I

AM

GROOT
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• shoot, wrong thread
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post

I

AM

GROOT
                              He really doesn't look that raw to me. He will obviously make a lot of rookie mistakes and he has a lot of learning to do but I was expecting him to look a lot worse from the way people were talking. He has some skill already.
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                                He really doesn't look that raw to me. He will obviously make a lot of rookie mistakes and he has a lot of learning to do but I was expecting him to look a lot worse from the way people were talking. He has some skill already.
                                Those 3 pointers looked niiiiiiice.

Comment

Working...
                                X