How Can We Upgrade This Offseason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I don't think there other picks are high either.
    Correct.

•Pick #1: Their own.
    •Pick #2: Minnesota Timberwolves, top-13 protected.
    •Pick #3: Indiana Pacers, top-14 protected.
    •Pick #4: Washington Wizards, top-12 protected.

They'll have 4 picks, and not one will be in the Lottery.
    Sure they could package them, but 4 picks in the 15-30 range can't be THAT tempting.
    Granted, more enticing than our lone pick in the 15-20 range.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Except their pick is now very likely not even Lottery. And had we given them an All-Star, they'd be even better than they are now .. not worth it.
      They have lots of picks though. Including the 2015 Lakers pick, which is very possibly lottery. Cap space, several picks. There's actually an interesting trade idea in the trade section along those lines.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
        They have lots of picks though. Including the 2015 Lakers pick, which is very possibly lottery. Cap space, several picks. There's actually an interesting trade idea in the trade section along those lines.
        It's going to be very interesting to see what they do with all those picks.

Comment

Correct.

•Pick #1: Their own.
          •Pick #2: Minnesota Timberwolves, top-13 protected.
          •Pick #3: Indiana Pacers, top-14 protected.
          •Pick #4: Washington Wizards, top-12 protected.

They'll have 4 picks, and not one will be in the Lottery.
          Sure they could package them, but 4 picks in the 15-30 range can't be THAT tempting.
          Granted, more enticing than our lone pick in the 15-20 range.
          right but what if you packaged those picks to move into the top 5?
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            right but what if you packaged those picks to move into the top 5?
            Right, but what I'm saying is, no team is going to trade out of the Top-5 for 4 15-30 picks.
            Or I just don't see it happening anyway.

Comment

Right, but what I'm saying is, no team is going to trade out of the Top-5 for 4 15-30 picks.
              what about a couple picks and Lowry?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I don't expect any lottery picks to be moved. There's too much hype this year on the draft. It's GM suicide. IMO, it'll be very tough to win a trade involving lottery picks going out this year.

Comment

Lakers might. They're committed to Kobe and Nash (cap wise) and need depth. Right now they have a bunch of scrubs/ d leaguers, I say they're more interested in fillings their roster with cheap, young rotation guys in a deep draft than their 1 lottery pick who will be more expensive
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

The lakers pick is the one I'd be targeting along with washingtons

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      Lakers might. They're committed to Kobe and Nash (cap wise) and need depth. Right now they have a bunch of scrubs/ d leaguers, I say they're more interested in fillings their roster with cheap, young rotation guys in a deep draft than their 1 lottery pick who will be more expensive
                      Mitch Kupchak is always thinking about stars first, depth distant second. He's actually been pretty terrible and negligent as far as getting depth. If he gets a top 5 pick and a chance at someone like Jabari Parker, I think he's going to take him and be happy. Unless he gets offered Love, Kyrie or some other star.

Comment

Mitch Kupchak is always thinking about stars first, depth distant second. He's actually been pretty terrible and negligent as far as getting depth. If he gets a top 5 pick and a chance at someone like Jabari Parker, I think he's going to take him and be happy. Unless he gets offered Love, Kyrie or some other star.
                        Fair enough, I guess I'm not as familiar with the inner workings of Mitch Kupchack. Me, I'd take the chance to shore up my squad with players who will grow in cheap contracts and then hope to sign free agents when they become available (they still have Kobe for 2 years and big names are always willing to at least listen to LA's offers. With 4 starters on rookie salaries, some minimum salary role guys and Kobe retired, that's a lot of cap space to play with for Love, Melo, Durant or whoever he wants.
                        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Fair enough, I guess I'm not as familiar with the inner workings of Mitch Kupchack. Me, I'd take the chance to shore up my squad with players who will grow in cheap contracts and then hope to sign free agents when they become available (they still have Kobe for 2 years and big names are always willing to at least listen to LA's offers. With 4 starters on rookie salaries, some minimum salary role guys and Kobe retired, that's a lot of cap space to play with for Love, Melo, Durant or whoever he wants.
                          important to remember that the lakers drafted kobe and then got shaq to play with him. I see their ideal situation being drafting a parker, then going after their big FA in 2015
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I agree.

A cast of low first round picks and or 2nd round picks allows them to sign a max free agent in 2014, 2015, and 2016 when Kobe comes off books again.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I agree.

A cast of low first round picks and or 2nd round picks allows them to sign a max free agent in 2014, 2015, and 2016 when Kobe comes off books again.
                              It also gives another year for the young guys to grow and the team to really establish an identity.
                              I like the kind of ball they are playing, and it would be a shame to bring in a star and have to re-work the whole team.

Comment

I wouldn't, if I'm rebuilding a team I would try to get a foundational player. A top 5 pick in this draft seems way better than a bunch of out of lottery picks. Out of lottery, you might get starters or you might not, but chances of getting a star are low.

I'd much rather get a prospect with a legit chance to be a star, and then add another big piece or two via free agency, while that rookie is still under contract.

Either way, yeah, Kupchak has never been one to concern himself with depth. The Lakers model has been collecting several stars, and then hoping that Los Angeles and a chance at rings can attract some good cheap veterans via exceptions and minimum contracts.

Comment

Working...
                                X