Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisholm: In Raptorland, The Key Word Is 'Patience'

Tim Chisholm wrote a very interesting article on the TSN website - LINK

"Bryan Colangelo cannot be a happy man right now. In one summer he's lost his franchise's biggest name in Chris Bosh, he's lost out on a sweetheart of a deal because of an eleventh-hour reneging by Michael Jordan and he's had his salary cap acumen dragged through the mud after word leaked that he'd reached an impossible agreement with free agent Matt Barnes. While he'd no doubt love to point to the positive output of his youngsters in Summer League or the fact that he shed Hedo Turkoglu for a far better contract in Leandro Barbosa, even Colangelo knows that with each botched deal the need to complete something meaningful only swells amongst the public and the media at large...

While the Raptors team may need a sphere of patience to shield them from undue expectations, the Raptors organization and corporate entity needs razzle dazzle to keep the tickets selling and the viewers watching. To split this difference is the job of Colangelo this summer, to balance the imperatives of the club against the realities of the business world. It says here, though, that one of the largest stumbling blocks he is facing right now is the fact that so few teams are in a position to deal with the Raptors in a meaningful way...

Would Colangelo like to get something done sooner rather than later? Yes, no doubt he would. His reputation has taken a bit of a beating this summer and he could use an unequivocal win to boost his reputation. Not a win that involves sending away his best player (though he did hold out for a pure trade exception, with no players to dilute its value) or one that involves admitting one of his biggest roster mistakes (even if turning four guaranteed years into two at a lower rate was an unexpectedly positive return), he needs a win, period. He needs a deal that shows that he's still got some improvisational muscle in NBA circles. The thing is, right now it's not about what's best for Bryan Colangelo, it's about what's best for the Toronto Raptors...
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Sat Jul 24, 2010, 11:11 PM. Reason: Posting entire articles is strictly prohibited!

I read this on his blog/website.

He usually writes good stuff. This was no exception.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

do any of you think the raptors have a realistic chance of getting chris paul
      ya dun noe

Comment

No, They don't

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
          No, They don't
          ya i dont think they do and even if they did it would be stupid to trade for him because we would have to give up derozan and some other young talent only for paul to leave in 2 seasons i think its not completely impossible because the hornets will accept the best offer and tell paul to fuck off but it would be stupid to trade for him
          ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
            The Raps could get CP3 if they're willing to give up Demar/Bargs/picks/etc...

The problem is they don't have a realistic chance of re-signing him when he becomes an UFA in two years.
            RR OG

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
              No but the Hornets are obviously entering rebuild mode.

The Raptors have everything they need to get Okafor. Expiring contracts, TPEs, draft picks, young players. I think the Hornets would probably jump all over Banks, Evans and part of the TPE(The $2.7M TPE would be more than enough and save the big TPE for later use) for Okafor. With a guy like Okafor at center, Bargnani would have a lot less pressure on him and could move to the 4. Davis and Johnson would be excellent substitutes. Hell, with Johnson's athleticism he might even be able to start at the 3. No doubt DeRozan would have to step up in a big way on offense for that to work though. I read a rumor that stated the Hornets would want to move Okafor and Paul together. Well, that's not likely because of the amount of salary. If the Hornets could cap dump Okafor and land good young pieces and expiring contracts for Paul they could do a complete rebuild next summer.

The Raptors tried to land Chandler and failed. Okafor is a lot better player than Chandler. Okafor could be a strong leader on a young team like the Raptors. He's strong, tough, works hard and plays defense. He's not flashy but he's exactly the kind of guy the Raptors could use anchoring the middle.

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
              The problem is they don't have a realistic chance of re-signing him when he becomes an UFA in two years.
              Exactly. It makes no sense for the raptors to make a play for Paul. They need to build a good reputation before they start taking gambles on star players placing their long term careers in the hands of the Toronto Raptors. If I was Chris Paul I would be out of Toronto as soon as I could. A guy like that wants to play in a winning situation. He wants to be in a proven environment. The Raptors have 10 out 15 years of mediocrity under their belts. On top of that Paul is good friends with James, which means LBJ's new sidekick is probably going to be in Paul's ear too. What do you think Bosh is going to tell Paul about the Raptors organization? I know two things he won't be telling Paul about. One, how his Raptors championship ring fits and two, Toronto Raptors playoff glory stories. Paul is a pipe dream. Maybe if he was Canadian. Maybe.
              Last edited by Apollo; Sat Jul 24, 2010, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                No but the Hornets are obviously entering rebuild mode.

The Raptors have everything they need to get Okafor. Expiring contracts, TPEs, draft picks, young players. I think the Hornets would probably jump all over Banks, Evans and part of the TPE(The $2.7M TPE would be more than enough and save the big TPE for later use) for Okafor. With a guy like Okafor at center, Bargnani would have a lot less pressure on him and could move to the 4. Davis and Johnson would be excellent substitutes. Hell, with Johnson's athleticism he might even be able to start at the 3. No doubt DeRozan would have to step up in a big way on offense for that to work though. I read a rumor that stated the Hornets would want to move Okafor and Paul together. Well, that's not likely because of the amount of salary. If the Hornets could cap dump Okafor and land good young pieces and expiring contracts for Paul they could do a complete rebuild next summer.

The Raptors tried to land Chandler and failed. Okafor is a lot better player than Chandler. Okafor could be a strong leader on a young team like the Raptors. He's strong, tough, works hard and plays defense. He's not flashy but he's exactly the kind of guy the Raptors could use anchoring the middle.

Exactly. It makes no sense for the raptors to make a play for Paul. They need to build a good reputation before they start taking gambles on star players placing their long term careers in the hands of the Toronto Raptors. If I was Chris Paul I would be out of Toronto as soon as I could. A guy like that wants to play in a winning situation. He wants to be in a proven environment. The Raptors have 10 out 15 years of mediocrity under their belts. On top of that Paul is good friends with James, which means LBJ's new sidekick is probably going to be in Paul's ear too. What do you think Bosh is going to tell Paul about the Raptors organization? I know two things he won't be telling Paul about. One, how his Raptors championship ring fits and two, Toronto Raptors playoff glory stories. Paul is a pipe dream. Maybe if he was Canadian. Maybe.
                he's definitely not. and we have a better chance of getting steve nash than paul. I wonder if bryan has ever tried to acquire steve at any point over the years he's been here?
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I truly believe if Colangelo had been able to acquire Chandler, there would have been a big trade with NOH but not for CP3.

Comment

Patience - mabey when BC 1st arrived but not now. From Division champs to Conference chumps- and now Bargnani is BC's untouchable Franchise player.........

YG'z >>>> Bargnani

Comment

Working...
                    X