Terrence Ross is over-rated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps.

...but only because the fans have not seen that much explosivness from a guard before(in a while). He also can have a lot of impact on a game in short period of time, which reminds us of allstar qualities.

This is his rookie year, so its too early to tell how complete a player he becomes, but, he has shown a tool set that many, many players do not have entering this league. If he understands his best cards and plays them consistently he might become one hell of a player.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
      Perhaps.

...but only because the fans have not seen that much explosivness from a guard before(in a while). He also can have a lot of impact on a game in short period of time, which reminds us of allstar qualities.

This is his rookie year, so its too early to tell how complete a player he becomes, but, he has shown a tool set that many, many players do not have entering this league. If he understands his best cards and plays them consistently he might become one hell of a player.
      +1
      It's way too early to judge this kid in any kind of legit way. Except for a very small handful of players like LeBron, Chris Paul, it's folly to judge a player in his rookie year, good or bad. History shows there have been many players that people go nuts over in their 1st and/or 2nd year and declare them future superstars, only to see them flame out and become end of bench guys by their 3rd or 4th year. Conversely, there has also been many players who are underwhelming in their 1st/2nd years, yet their skillset, combined with hard work turn them into stars. This kid has some natural abilities that not many rookies have, and some people who know him much better than any of us think he has the mindset to work hard and become a very valuable player. You don't see the true colours and value of the majority of players coming out of NCAA until their 3rd year.
      Last edited by p00ka; Sat Feb 9, 2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

For real

You can see him gaining confidence over the last little while, I think this kids for real. I also think a bonus of the Gay addition is that he will act as a mentor for Ross and aid in his development. JVal and Ross as a future is a lot to get excited about.

Call me crazy but I can see MoPete-level consistency from this kid with his outside game and ... wait for it ... early TMac-level game with his athleticism. If he keeps going to the hoop he'll really develop a good inside outside game.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
          I don't get why people say this kid is untouchable. I know he's athletic and could develop into a nice piece, but has anyone looked at his stats? His shooting is terrible and that's supposed to be his best trait (41% fg, 33% 3 pt). His handles are average at best, he doesn't have any size advantage at his postion, his defense, while better than expected, has not been great, and he's already showing an alarming desire to take long shots instead of trying to drive. He's average at best for a first rounder.

I'm not saying that Ross can't become a nice player, I think he could even be a starter eventually if he works hard, but the only reason you make a young player untouchable is if he looks like he is going to become a star for you, and that is not Ross.

His trade value is very high, and I think that if you get an oppurtunity to improve your team by using him in a package with a high priced player, you do it.
          For one, 'optimism' is the name of the game for a fan. Just like we Rap fans like to think that Ross is going to be 'something', so are fans of other teams with their Rookies.

As far as Ross is concerned, using numbers to gauge his potential is wrong IMO. Being a Rookie, a lot of things are against you. Nerves of being in the NBA, having to live up to the expectation of the GM and Co. that drafted you, fan expectation and so on. In other words it's simply a lot of 'pressure'. Some do well despite the pressure and others take some time. Ross is not one to have lit it up but has not stunk at the same time. His performance has been so-so but there have been signs of brilliance. Does this mean you just trade him for anything? I don't think so. I totally agree if trading him means a complete change in the fortune of the team. For example, if he was part of a package that netted us back Dwight Howard, of course it should be done. Until then though, I'm in favour of keeping him for at least a couple of years.
          Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:17 AM.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

having demar there i think is what will take him to the next level. demar does all the other things ross needs to do to become a star. good mid range game and good at attacking and finishing. if he goes through what demar did which he is more than capable of considering hes already a higher iq player then he will be elite. demar just needs to make sure he puts in as much time

Comment

Compared to derozan at this stage of his career ross is a better shooter, a better defender, a better rebounder, and more athletic. He has developed tremendously just since the beginning of the year, hes even won us a few games already. Just based on that you have to be excited.

He has a sweet shooting stroke, hes humble, a good defender, and a high flier. He needs consistent minutes, maturity, and better shot selection.
              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                Compared to derozan at this stage of his career ross is a better shooter, a better defender, a better rebounder, and more athletic. He has developed tremendously just since the beginning of the year, hes even won us a few games already. Just based on that you have to be excited.

He has a sweet shooting stroke, hes humble, a good defender, and a high flier. He needs consistent minutes, maturity, and better shot selection.
                Agreed with everything BUT the bold. Ross doesn't play inside nearly as much as Derozan.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Ross has not received as many minutes on the floor as a lot of the other rookies. Time on the hardwood in real game situations is an enormous asset in terms of development. It is one of the reasons the recent calls for him and JV to play more have been heard, both here and from various sports journalists/pundits. #LetRossPlay.

Comment

Im sorry. You can call him over-rated all you want, in my opinion he is UNDER-rated.

I have never seen a player with his diverse skillsets on the raptors... ever.
                    The only thing holding him back is time, experience, and maturity.
                    This kid is going to blossom into EXACTLY what we need. Im talking deadly 3pt shot (wait for his shot selection to get better), unbelievable quickness, unbelievable explosiveness (on every rebound you can see it), he can get up higher than everybody and quicker than everybody (Bothers Jumpshooters the most Ive ever seen from any player.. ever), the dunks go without mentioning, all he is missing is a more natural feel to the game.

Offensively AND Defensively this kid is going to be something to get excited about.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

the next MJ lol

Comment

Its very rare that you find a decent sized guard that can both shoot very well from the perimeter and also finish plays explosively at the rim with athleticism. Not only that, Ross has great defensive instincts and defensive foundation. He seems to have a high basketball IQ and wants to get better. Not to mention this is his first year in the NBA and has shown all that he has in very limited minutes. It would be a very big mistake to give up on him now especially knowing the type of strides players can make between first and second and even third years. Look at Paul George's numbers in his rookie year and his minutes and ask yourself if he should have been traded or not considered untouchable.

Comment

CDashQ wrote: View Post
                          Its very rare that you find a decent sized guard that can both shoot very well from the perimeter and also finish plays explosively at the rim with athleticism. Not only that, Ross has great defensive instincts and defensive foundation. He seems to have a high basketball IQ and wants to get better. Not to mention this is his first year in the NBA and has shown all that he has in very limited minutes. It would be a very big mistake to give up on him now especially knowing the type of strides players can make between first and second and even third years. Look at Paul George's numbers in his rookie year and his minutes and ask yourself if he should have been traded or not considered untouchable.
                          Best first post ever. +1000
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

If Ross was picked 8th, it means that the organization sees some value and need some time to benefit from it. I think Colangelo is doing the right thing now. Every body agrees that Bargnani for the money paid has more value than Boozer? Same is with Gay. We got him for Davis (considering Calderon gone at the end of the season); I don't think was a bad trade. We will see what is next till Feb 21st.

Comment

This is the most ridiculous thread on this entire board. I remember when we drafted him, all you RR guys complained, because that's what you do. You guys never saw a Huskies game. I watched the video of the RR draft party, and the overwhelming opinion of the people there was... "who?". That's because people like to go for the flashy name, rather than the guy with the skillset. In college, he was one of the best dunkers and shooters in the game. He's very long and athletic. Now, he's learning how to play OFF the ball, which he rarely did at Washington. Go back and watch some first and second year DD clips. DD's handle was crap - but he progressed. Ross' handle needs to get better, which will allow him to drive and create his own shot easier, but look at what he already has. He already has a quick first step. He already has freakish athleticism (1.8% bodyfat!!!). He's already extraordinarily long, and a decent defender of SGs. He already has a quick release and an easy, repeatable shooting motion. He's one of the best leapers in the game. His transitional offense is right up there with DD/Gay. Do you know how hard those skillsets are to get with the 8th pick? Plus, if you watched any of his college games, you'd know he's tenacious as heck. He's not getting minutes currently, and is asked to play as a spot-up shooter. Rarely do rookies shoot a high % (especially guards), so I'm not worried in the slightest about his shooting %.

Terrence Ross is going to be very good in this league, I've watched him enough at Washington to know that. He's a very hard worker, has a good attitude, and to me it is only a matter of time until he becomes a really good player in this league.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                Agreed with everything BUT the bold. Ross doesn't play inside nearly as much as Derozan.
                                He's not asked to, it's the system, not the player. Watch him at Washington and tell me he's not a VERY GOOD rebounder at the SG position. He's asked to spot-up shoot for the raptors, while Gay/DD go inside.

Comment

Working...
                                X