No announcement yet.

ESPN Insider - NBA Draft Blog Sneak Peek - Beal, Marshall, Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with mediumcore. At the 6 or 7 Barnes is a steal. I think as he is right now he is a better player than DeMar. His not a bad defender either. 6'9 223 bls on the wing and his lights out and probably the clutchest player in the draft. Do we really not want this on are team?
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Interesting.

We know that Barnes is a good shooter, so you have to think at the NBA level he'll be able to take advantage in a half court set when defences are spread out and playing man to man which they do the majority of the time. Sort of what everyone says about DeMar needing to improve his shooting to take advantage of his drive...except Barnes is already a good shooter. Keep in mind he's a rookie and will improve at all facets of the game. Also I'd have to say that he has good size and mobility to be a good defender. He's willing to be coached so he can learn to be a better defender, as by all accounts Barnes is a student of the game.

He may not excel in the open court breaking a guy down of the dribble, but we know most of the time the game is played in half court sets and in the playoffs when the game slows down you need guys whom can score in a half court set.

MKG has a great motor, can lock a guy down on D (and I'm not looking past how improtant that is), and brings some great intangibles but I'm not convinced he can be a legitimate scoring threat in the NBA. We know he currently is not a good shooter and I haven't seen him take guys off the dribble and get to the rim like like a Kobe or Wade. On the Raptors he will be a very good defender on a team that is currently struggling find consistent scoring options imo. Having said that I'd love to have him on the roster.
      Good points - especially on the defense-system comments.

I hope I didn't make my comments sound as if I absolutely did not want Barnes. My personal big board is starting to take shape:

1) Davis
      2) Beal
      3) MKG
      4) Barnes
      5) Please God deliver one of the previous 4.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Good points - especially on the defense-system comments.

I hope I didn't make my comments sound as if I absolutely did not want Barnes. My personal big board is starting to take shape:

1) Davis
        2) Beal
        3) MKG
        4) Barnes
        5) Please God deliver one of the previous 4.
        Not at all. I was just looking for information other than "Barnes = Barf" (kidding Ceez), as to why it seemed he was really far off some peoples radar.

Comment

Yeah, it's the fear of Barnes' one-dimensionality (I just made up a word) for me too. I have no doubt that he'll help whichever team he ends up with, but the Raptors need MORE help than what Barnes is capable of providing.

Players like MKG or Beal seem to fill the void better.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Yeah, it's the fear of Barnes' one-dimensionality (I just made up a word) for me too. I have no doubt that he'll help whichever team he ends up with, but the Raptors need MORE help than what Barnes is capable of providing.

Players like MKG or Beal seem to fill the void better.
            I get the impression from sites like ESPN/CNNSI/TSN etc.. that MKG and Beal have both moved ahead of Barnes and will likely stay there until the combine and workouts. I now see the draft as a pretty unanimous #1, a #2-4 group (MKG, Beal and Robinson) and then big groups that fall into 'bigs', 'wings' and 'pg'. I think it's now time to start comparing Barnes to the likes of Lamb, Jones, PJ3 and Miller, instead of MKG and Beal. I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of uncertainty/surprises and potentially trades, once we get to the #5 pick.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I get the impression from sites like ESPN/CNNSI/TSN etc.. that MKG and Beal have both moved ahead of Barnes and will likely stay there until the combine and workouts. I now see the draft as a pretty unanimous #1, a #2-4 group (MKG, Beal and Robinson) and then big groups that fall into 'bigs', 'wings' and 'pg'. I think it's now time to start comparing Barnes to the likes of Lamb, Jones, PJ3 and Miller, instead of MKG and Beal. I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of uncertainty/surprises and potentially trades, once we get to the #5 pick.
              ESPN and DraftExpress are the two I put the most faith in. DraftExpress has Barnes at 7 and ESPN has him at 8.

I agree with your thinking at number 5 - especially considering teams like Portland, Utah, and Houston could have 2 lottery picks.

Comment

man if only Q.Miller didn't get injured. He'd easily be top 5 in the draft and we'd be perfect for him. He's got killer handles and elite athleticism

Comment

Uh huh
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I still don't think he is or was an elite athelete
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      I still don't think he is or was an elite athelete
                      i think he was/is. Baylor's offense sucks ass so we won't know

Comment

Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Harrison Barnes and Michael-Kidd Gilchrist. These 4 are in the conversation of being top 3.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Harrison Barnes and Michael-Kidd Gilchrist. These 4 are in the conversation of being top 3.
                          And Brad Beal according to Chad Ford.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            And Brad Beal according to Chad Ford.
                            For me as well however he is the pick I want so hopefully the Raps are in a decent spot after the lottery.
                            Wrt Beal it's interesting people think he is an inch too short (potentially) but at 18 it is not inconceivable that he could grow another inch or so.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                              For me as well however he is the pick I want so hopefully the Raps are in a decent spot after the lottery.
                              Wrt Beal it's interesting people think he is an inch too short (potentially) but at 18 it is not inconceivable that he could grow another inch or so.
                              He also has a good frame/build. His body is pretty much NBA ready, in my opinion.

He is also taller than Eric Gordon, for what it is worth.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                                I read somewhere that he has grown since the start of the season. He said himself that he's up to 6'5" now (sorry, no source).

Comment

Working...
                                X