Anti-Tanker? Introducing the 'Wheel'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p00ka wrote: View Post
    Lowe calls this "the most fleshed out proposal"? LOL, he's way too full of himself. If he thinks it's unseemly how teams try and manipulate the current system, the league would be a far greater debacle if they adopted this silliness. Anything remotely close to this will never happen. No, I don't wish to spell it out. Don't like? *shrug*
    Do the manipulations you anticipate affect wins and losses within a given season? If not, wouldn't it make sense to trade current on-court manipulations for future off-court ones....especially coming from an anti-tanker?

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
      The current system is OK in principle, but overly rewards failure. Here's an alternative weighting:
      1. Give each non-playoff team lottery balls: 17 for the worst down to 3 for the best (140 balls total).
      2. Have the top 14 picks all be done by lottery: draw #1, remove the winning team's balls, then re-spin for #2, etc.
      This is the current system with slightly different odds.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I like this.

Too much collusion possible with wheel.

How would people feel if Miami drafted Parker, wiggins, smart, exum, embiid this year?
        i dunno...how do people feel about building a team with the intent to tank and getting to draft one of them? i say that as a part of tank nation, btw. and in all honesty, yeah, if this proposal (which, as was stated in the article, couldn't be implemented until all future draft picks involved in a trade were passed) went into effect this year, and by some miracle miami (or another top team) won this year's pick, then yeah, that would totally suck, for anyone not a heat fan.

can you describe what you mean by collusion?
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

fuck it, they should simply bash it, contract 14 teams leaving only the top 16 financial markets in place. Every team makes the playoffs.

the way they market now, they only care about those anyhow ( imean really, for a shitty team, toronto gets a shit load of coverage, I hear zero about the other have nots)

This solves everything.

Comment

oh and the draft....no draft. Players get hired just like any other employee anyplace else. but if you hire one, you gotta fire one. Since there are only 16 teams, there arent any shitter on the bench, so you have to let value walk.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
              This is the current system with slightly different odds.
              This is the current system ... with VERY different odds.

Today, the worst team has a 100% chance of a top 4 pick.
              In my proposal, the worst team has a ~45% chance of a top 4 pick.

Today, the 5th worst team has a 30% chance of a top 4 pick (and a 100% chance of a top 8 pick).
              In my proposal, the 5th worst team still has ~30% chance of a top 4 pick (and may pick as low as 14th).

Right now, tanking from 5th worst to worst increases your chances of a top 4 pick from 30% to 100%: quite the reward.
              In my proposal, tanking from 5th worst to worst increases your chances of a top 4 pick from 30% to 45%: much less payoff!!

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                Can you describe what you mean by collusion?
                He means Toronto going to Wiggins and saying "we're drafting #24 in 2014 but #1 in 2015 ... why don't you stay at Kansas another year".

Comment

Today, the 5th worst team has a 30% chance of a top 4 pick (and a 100% chance of a top 8 pick).
                  In my proposal, the 5th worst team still has ~30% chance of a top 4 pick (and may pick as low as 14th).

Right now, tanking from 5th worst to worst increases your chances of a top 4 pick from 30% to 100%: quite the reward.
                  In my proposal, tanking from 5th worst to worst increases your chances of a top 4 pick from 30% to 45%: much less payoff!!
                  Much less, but teams will still tank. The point is to get teams to stop tanking and ruining the game for the fans.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    Scrapping the draft would solve tanking. The best players would often sign where they figure to be the best fit and would have the opportunity to develop their game. With a hard cap and a rookie scale in place, Parker would likely end up in Chicago or LA. Wiggins and his agent would look long and hard at the Raptors and their need for a 3.
                    A hard cap would be a good way to make sure the small market teams struggle to remain financially viable. If the league has approx. $2b in payroll, and you set the hard line say around the luxury line of $70m, then that`s over $90m in payroll that the smaller payroll teams are required to pay. The $2b figure doesn't change per the CBA, so essentially a hard cap would push the salary floor much higher.

Anyways, without looking at numbers, I can see having a free market for rookies work if the rookie scale is increased dramatically (and maybe decreased in years), on the condition that teams are limited in how much rookie contract money they have over a multi-year period. So if the Lakers want to spend 3 years worth of of their rookie money on Jabari, fine, but they will not have any rookie money in the next two years. That's clearly not any kind of simple solution, and would likely require the CBA to double in size, but I've yet to hear of any "simple" solutions that do not have large holes in their logic.

Comment

I would rather see the NBA draft disappear entirely.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                        I would rather see the NBA draft disappear entirely.
                        then how do you keep the league competitive?
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                          force a GM to start trying to get better immediately.
                          The trick is convincing the owners to value results over bottom line profits. Look at the new owners in Sac Town or James Dolan, Prokhorov etc. - pushing their GM's into making lots of terrible trades/taking on payroll/sending out years worth of picks, and next to no future planning.

Comment

I really like this idea.

Comment

the penalizing idea's are ridiculous.

the draft, as set up i perfect.

the problem is much deeper.... and it has everything to do with how the league has promoted certain markets and fucked over other.

with media and marketing attached to agents and agencies who have ties to the markets.... its a lose lose for some markets.

Comment

I don't think there will be that much collusion under the 'wheel' system.
                                You may see a few guys decide to stick around college for an extra season if there's a better team sitting with the number one pick the following year, but most guys are simply going to start making their millions as soon as they can. There's a risk of injury or falling down the draft board if a player opts to get cute by trying to land himself in a specific spot.

The other reason I don't think this will be much of a problem is that the more successful team isn't always the most appealing for a rookie. Sure, the chance to compete for championships right off the bat will be nice but a lot of the top picks will be looking for an opportunity to play a ton of minutes and show out themselves as they enter the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X