Can ANYONE explain coach Casey?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I agree that he is using his assistants during games for sure, and that these people are much better than last year. At the same time, it is so confusing to me as to why after the trade, he started going with a strict 9 man rotation. He is playing 9 guys every game. What happened? He used to play 10-12 every game.

For me, this was the strangest, yet most significant change since the trade.

Maybe he had a meeting with his staff and they all agreed to make changes to their strategy? I think that there was a conversation about it where the coaches decided to make changes. Nothing else makes sense to me
    Well they couldn't get much going early and Casey was just fuddling with lineups trying to find a combination or two that could give him solid minutes. Bring in the SAC guys from the trade and poof, you have a pretty good bench in one savvy move. Hans gets hurt and voila, you have your solid 9 man rotation. I think if we were completely healthy, we'd have a 10 man rotation being used regularly with Hans included.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      Well they couldn't get much going early and Casey was just fuddling with lineups trying to find a combination or two that could give him solid minutes. Bring in the SAC guys from the trade and poof, you have a pretty good bench in one savvy move. Hans gets hurt and voila, you have your solid 9 man rotation. I think if we were completely healthy, we'd have a 10 man rotation being used regularly with Hans included.
      It makes sense. I guess what's so off-putting is how simple it all is.

I would literally yell at my TV trying to figure out what DC was doing over the last couple of years with the rotations.,...then poof!

But i guess the simple answers are the right ones sometimes. I've just never seen something like this happen, where 4 new players are brought in and all of a sudden the team has a .655 wuinning percetnage

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
        It makes sense. I guess what's so off-putting is how simple it all is.

I would literally yell at my TV trying to figure out what DC was doing over the last couple of years with the rotations.,...then poof!

But i guess the simple answers are the right ones sometimes. I've just never seen something like this happen, where 4 new players are brought in and all of a sudden the team has a .655 wuinning percetnage
        Yeah, it's crazy alright. It seems to me now that maybe Rudy had very little interest in being here. He has adjusted his game successfully in SAC. Maybe the team just placed a larger burden on him than he could handle, or maybe he just tried to do too much, but clearly he wasn't a good fit for this team as we have developed a personality since he has left and we are not just relying on a single guy to carry the team. It's equally hard to believe that one guy could have that much effect on the coaching staff or that the coaching staff has adjusted their tactics so well since he has left.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
          Nick Nurse and Casey make a great team, also The team has finally bought into what he wants. Less defenseive liabilities in Bargnani and Calderon... No blackholes and guys putting themselves above the teammates Gay, Bayless and Johnson. No worthless vets coming off the bench.... Gray, Butler, Carter. A GM that values his input in Masai Ujiri.
          This too. Casey's fundamentals are all on the defensive end. The team's most important players - Bargs, Jose, and Gay - either couldn't or didn't want to execute so much of what Casey was preaching. If players aren't executing the coach's basics, how do you move on to the finer points of game management? The head space of the whole team is effed up, even if they're a bunch of nice guys who refuse to blame anyone.

Now your core players are executing the basics and everybody can focus on game-to-game tactics, which are also carried out by the personnel.

Basically the coach finally has players who will do what he wants them to do.

The assistant coaches point is also a great one, as is the "coaches learn too" point. Maybe that missed late game foul was a bit of a wake-up call that drew Casey's attention to some of his weaknesses.

Again, what a great discussion! "Why is our coach so much better than we thought he was?" I love it.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            This too. Casey's fundamentals are all on the defensive end. The team's most important players - Bargs, Jose, and Gay - either couldn't or didn't want to execute so much of what Casey was preaching. If players aren't executing the coach's basics, how do you move on to the finer points of game management? The head space of the whole team is effed up, even if they're a bunch of nice guys who refuse to blame anyone.

Now your core players are executing the basics and everybody can focus on game-to-game tactics, which are also carried out by the personnel.

Basically the coach finally has players who will do what he wants them to do.

The assistant coaches point is also a great one, as is the "coaches learn too" point. Maybe that missed late game foul was a bit of a wake-up call that drew Casey's attention to some of his weaknesses.

Again, what a great discussion! "Why is our coach so much better than we thought he was?" I love it.

Hahaha....well it really makes me think.

He's never had the same roster year over year. What could he do with some continuity? I think that you could argue that if he had a long leash, like woodson did in atlanta or scott brooks in OKC or Spoelstra in miami, maybe he'll be even better?

We forget that he has playoff experience as an assistant, and he's won the championship. Not a lot of coaches have the experience that he has. Since day 1 our team is rarely outworked in a game, no matter how good our team is.

he's making me a believer

Comment

He's the same coach, morons...can you hear yourselves? team lose, coach bad, team win, coach smart.

Comment

jamesk wrote: View Post
                He's the same coach, morons...can you hear yourselves? team lose, coach bad, team win, coach smart.
                Have you misplaced your punching bag?
                The thread is enlightened by your very presence.

Anywhom, I believe someone mentioned the key point earlier:
                The players have bought in.

I was a critic of Casey before (a big one), and I believe my criticisms stand.
                Casey would not thrive in all circumstances.
                Casey would not be that guy you bring in to make Kobe and Dwight work in LA.
                But, with the departure of Gay and the influence of MLSE and Masai on Lowry, the players have just shut-up and listened.
                And it turns out Casey knows how to run a ball club.

Comment

jamesk wrote: View Post
                  Do you even watch raptors games?
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
                  X