Butch Carter on Prime Time Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butch Carter on Prime Time Sports

He was on PTS with Bob McCown today. All i can say, i could listen to this guy talk about basketball all day. He knows the game.

They also talk about the Raps. He pretty much said everything's that's been said here. He mentioned that he thinks the Raps should move Bargnani. He praised how much DD has improved his game. And he thinks one of the reason the Raps struggle early in the season specially in the 4th is the substitution pattern.
    Last edited by The Great One; Thu Nov 22, 2012, 07:22 PM.
    Mamba Mentality

TRex wrote: View Post
    He was on PTS with Bob McCown today. All i can say, i could listen to this guy talk about basketball all day. He knows the game.

They also talk about the Raps. He pretty much said everything's that's been said here. He mentioned that he thinks the Raps should move Bargnani. He praised how much DD has improved his game. And he thinks one of the reason the Raps struggle early in the season specially in the 4th is the substitution pattern.
    I heard him on the show last week as well. I'd like to see him get another kick at the can, but if I remember correctly he's said in the past that he's retired from coaching? Not sure, but I think I've heard that be said. He speaks the TROOF and was a pretty good coach for us.

Comment

Butch ruled
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Here is the interview (gotta skip ahead a bit)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime_time_sports/

Very great interview. Butch knows what he's talking about.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Butch ruled
          When he wasn't fighting with his own players or dreaming up crazy plots being perpetrated by opposing players. Butch turned the raps around but also had VC and TMac just as they were getting their isht together and he got waaaay crazy in the playoffs.
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Butch Carter on Prime Time Sports

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/11/...stephen_brunt/

A good interview if you can hear it. Carter is very candid and talks about a number of things including:
            - injuries
            - developing players
            - summer league being a waste
            - JV/Bargnani tandem
            - More Bargnani, and the idea of trading him
            - Talks about how important it is to win the first quarter and why

Comment

Butch was great in Toronto. His firing had nothing to do with his abilities/inabilities as a coach.

Comment

Liked him as a coach,

but the man has issues that have kept him from the league for a reason. He points fingers and creates scape goats. If its not Camby, it is Grunwald, always knows best with 20/20 hindsight.

He was more of a distraction and divider to the team, rather then someone who brings people together. If he was such a great coach, he would have mitigated the Tmac VC dilemma, but he is a finger pointer and a chameleon.

Even tried to get an ownership share, by telling management he had control of the Tmac situation. He is an unchecked ego and he is lawn bowling for a reason.

Comment

That part where he analized the way AB shoots with his right foot forward. I always noticed there was something off about the way he shot the ball, but never realized what it was.

Comment

There you go, the ego on the man is humongous... the one thing that Andrea does better than most is jump shoot, but that still does not stop Butch from being an expert on Andreas shot and form.

I bet you he has the answer for all of our problems.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                      Liked him as a coach,

but the man has issues that have kept him from the league for a reason. He points fingers and creates scape goats. If its not Camby, it is Grunwald, always knows best with 20/20 hindsight.

He was more of a distraction and divider to the team, rather then someone who brings people together. If he was such a great coach, he would have mitigated the Tmac VC dilemma, but he is a finger pointer and a chameleon.

Even tried to get an ownership share, by telling management he had control of the Tmac situation. He is an unchecked ego and he is lawn bowling for a reason.
                      You blame Butch Carter for T-Mac not re-signing in Toronto?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/11/...stephen_brunt/

A good interview if you can hear it. Carter is very candid and talks about a number of things including:
                        - injuries
                        - developing players
                        - summer league being a waste
                        - JV/Bargnani tandem
                        - More Bargnani, and the idea of trading him
                        - Talks about how important it is to win the first quarter and why
                        Someone should send this tape interview to Colangelo.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                          Someone should send this tape interview to Colangelo.
                          Its on Sportsnet, chances are he already knows. If he doesn't know that Bargnani should be traded, then he needs to be fired
                          Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Thu Nov 22, 2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Everything Butch says is fact. He has always been great in the film room, and in analysis. He never was a good people-person.
                            • You can't have a starting 4 who is quiet on defense when you have a young 5.
                            • Bargs has mechanical issues -- anyone who says he is a good jump shooter isn't looking at his fg%
                            • It's obvious that DeMar does work during the summer, and Bargs does not.
                            • Trading Bargs does not mean that Bargs is a bad player. You can argue that it means multiple teams like him.
                            • If BCo doesn't move Bargs, and the season continues like this -- BCo will be fired.

--Don't rip this because who the messenger is.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                              You blame Butch Carter for T-Mac not re-signing in Toronto?
                              Butch made it clear to management that HE had the cache to make TMac stay. In fact, he used it as a bargaining chip. That tells me, he could pull or slack on the rope when it benefited him.

I certainly think a less ego driven coach could have been a mitigating factor in creating a cohesive environment for the two cousins to get along. That is part of good coaching, making sure that players understand their importance and value, spotting the issues before they get out of hand, knocking down egos when they get too big.

The problem was that Butch paid more mind to his own image/position than he paid to the polarity of teammates. So much so, that he egotistically proclaimed to management that, he and he only could deliver TMac on a plate. To me that is pissing on the club and the city. Your job to begin with, was to keep a cohesive team. You should always strive to make sure players re-sign, not give the impression, that you are holding back, for strategic contract reasons.

Think the guy is an egotistical mess and it showed when he tried to sue Camby in the playoffs. There is a reason why he never coached again.
                              Last edited by BasketballCrush; Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X