Mitchell had restrictions when coaching Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    I really don't care much for Mitchell's perception of things. This is the guy who said, "it's not about the x's and o's, it's about the jimmies and the joes," - and this was coming from our COACH.
    that particular quote has been around for quite a while, and (unless i'm mistaken) isn't credited to any one individual. smitch may have said it...but so have countless others (and it's in jack armstrong's contract that he say it at least 3 times/broadcast).

it's kind of amazing to me how much flak smitch seems to be taking for his statements re. bargnani...he's essentially confirming what most people said/thought AT THE TIME HE WAS FIRED. i think half-a-decade later is long enough to wait to hear the 'truth' from someone who should be given more respect in terms of what was actually going on at that time with the team than pretty much anyone else.

unless you want to hear an account of things from BC? because everyone knows that we only get the straight shit re. bargs from him, right? caliper test, baby!
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

top down*

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Just to play devil's advocate:

Could any part of this be Mitchell jumping on the blame Bargnani bandwagon to make himself look better? Sam has had difficulty getting back in the league. Spent 1 year as an assistant coach with the Nets before being replaced by PJ last season.

I don't doubt what he is saying but I question the motives.

Not sure that making your old GM look like a schmuck is the best way to land a new coaching gig..

Comment

Vince Carter got into a wrestling match with Sam, it was not the other way around. Carter slammed sam on the massage table, after Sam asked him about his heart and disintrested style of play.

I am glad he asked, but, it seems a lot of you would jsut given Andrea and Carter a pass.

Comment

Vince Carter got into a wrestling match with Sam, it was not the other way around. Carter slammed sam on the massage table, after Sam asked him about his heart and disintrested style of play.

I am glad he asked, but, it seems a lot of you would jsut have given Andrea and Carter a pass.

This altrication became public, because Sam mentioned it. Said he wished he saw that sort of heart on the court instead of the trainning room.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
              that particular quote has been around for quite a while, and (unless i'm mistaken) isn't credited to any one individual. smitch may have said it...but so have countless others (and it's in jack armstrong's contract that he say it at least 3 times/broadcast).
              I remember it as being Smitch's go-to, and I remember hearing him say without irony. And after watching years of brutal offence in which every play was 'horns up', it really did seem like his philosophy.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

BTW, both Carter and Sam walked away from altrication without incident and Carter a week later said he was willing to do whatever the coach expected of him. However, Babcock had diffrent plans.

These incidents happen quite a bit behind the scenes, without fans knowing about it. Like the time Morise Petterson and Andrea got into fist fight in the weightroom due to rookie and vet hostillities. This is why Morris Petterson found his way out of town even though a lot of you still have him as your favourite player.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                  BTW, both Carter and Sam walked away from altrication without incident and Carter a week later said he was willing to do whatever the coach expected of him. However, Babcock had diffrent plans.

These incidents happen quite a bit behind the scenes, without fans knowing about it. Like the time Morise Petterson and Andrea got into fist fight in the weightroom due to rookie and vet hostillities. This is why Morris Petterson found his way out of town even though a lot of you still have him as your favourite player.
                  Are you sure? I am not questioning what you said. I just never knew about this incident involving Mo Pete and Andrea. It makes sense. And of course I would choose Mo Pete to stay over Bargnani.

Comment

There was a game early in the season, or preseason that year when both took the floor with shiners. Something was alluded by the announcers that practice somtimes gets physcial.

Comment

they also said andrea was a stuborn rookie and could hold his own against anyone - but i heard behind the scenes they went at it

Comment

I know I can't be the only one that heard this. Someone should be able to confirm it. Teams dont usually let fisticuffs make headliens and the reporters dont report on personal stuff out of respect, this kind of stuff happens a lot more frequently than people expect, boys will be boys.. I heard Bryan was pissed and that is why Mo was in the doghouse and on the trading block. I am fairly sure there was thread about it back in the day.

Comment

pcrombeen wrote: View Post
                          Not sure that making your old GM look like a schmuck is the best way to land a new coaching gig..
                          Good point but saying nothing about the situation does not appear to have helped him either - lol.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                            I know I can't be the only one that heard this. Someone should be able to confirm it. Teams dont usually let fisticuffs make headliens and the reporters dont report on personal stuff out of respect, this kind of stuff happens a lot more frequently than people expect, boys will be boys.. I heard Bryan was pissed and that is why Mo was in the doghouse and on the trading block. I am fairly sure there was thread about it back in the day.

Dont want to say you're wrong but honestly I hadn't heard of anything between the two of them. Probably because like you said it was mentioned during the broadcast and not much was made of it. However I dont recall an article or anyone going on the record about it.

Comment

I never read about it either, tried asking someone who would know and never got a satisfactory answer about it either way. Maybe its a raptor urban legend. However, I do remember both with shiners, so at the time the story made sense to me, and I sort of rationalized mo petes isolation that year by that incident.

Comment

Also, the way the story broke to me was some dude posted before hand on a message board that there was an incident in the weight room and two players would be sporting shiners. Next game, my jaw dropped as both andrea and mopete were sporting shiners. So I thought it was something that was kept under wraps.

Even the massage room incident with Carter, did not make the rounds till Carter's mom said she overheard Sam say that Carter sure had a lot of heart when he slammed on the message table, so she is the one that blew the whistle to the papers. Carter and Sam kept it between themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X