On Valanciunas - The blasphemy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon wrote:
    You mean you'll beat me up if I don't agree?
    No I mean I was 17/18, 6'7" and 185lbs with a 6'10" wingspan.

I played university ball.

I worked my ass off and end of my 2nd year and 20 I was 220, by my 5th year and 23 years of age, I was 235lbs.

After playing I have fluctuated between 240-260 - sometimes solid, sometime not lol

I'm a living walking breathing ectomorph who is telling you you can add size and strength with work. I can't imagine what I would have done with world class facilities and trainers.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

I worked my ass off and end of my 2nd year and 20 I was 220, by my 5th year and 23 years of age, I was 235lbs.

After playing I have fluctuated between 240-260 - sometimes solid, sometime not lol

I'm a living walking breathing ectomorph who is telling you you can add size and strength with work. I can't imagine what I would have done with world class facilities and trainers.
      I had to look up "ectomorph."
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

This, 6'3 with a 6'10 wingspan here and I went from 170 or so in freshman year to like 200 now. Being an "ecto" doesn't mean you can't add muscle.

Comment

• it's pretty obvious to me that JV put on too much weight too quickly. With so much money tied up into these guys, it surprises me that they don't have trainers and nutritionists around them 24/7 to make sure they increase strength without putting on bad weight. We've ruined bargnani, rudy gay, and jonas (the first two being relatively shit ball players in the first place), when are we going to learn?

Comment

• wow guys... stop talking about "somatotype" shit. Are you freaking scientists? It can be changed or it can't be changed who the hell knows. Some human beings have different bone structure which would definitely affect "changing samototype". Personally I think humans have combination of "somatotypes", but I'm not scientist so.. Stucking on treadmill machine, doing weight training and eating right diet is just a way to stay healthy, perform, feel and look better ( more muscles, less fat ).

Remember that NBA players have 82+ games a season. Every minute in the game is like HIIT exercise and some guys just can't grow muscle during the season - which is ABSOLUTELY normal. The only thing JV needs to do now is continue to work hard in the gym, get proper coaching, eat right diet,supplements and he'll do just fine.

I have no doubts he'll look bigger and will be stronger in few years, but it doesn't mean that's because his "somatotype' has changed.

Comment

• Jonas doesn't need to be Hakeem - some of this discussion is ridiculous.

He's got a very realistic shot at a Marc Gasol-type career, with a chance of being a bit better if everything goes well.

Gasol is easily talented enough to be the backbone of a championship-level team. As has been mentioned, a very rare commodity at 7 feet & competent at both ends of the floor.

Check out their rookie season per 36's (Gasol was four years older):

Link: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...anjo01&y2=2013
              Last edited by S.R.; Mon Nov 25, 2013, 11:36 AM.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                I had to look up "ectomorph."
                I'm no scientologist, but I believe this is an ectomorph

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

That is a great point.

Parker for JV
                  Harden for JV

Both reportedly offered.
                  We should've taken anyone of those offers! I thought you were finished waiting for "potential"? Didn't you say you only now give 1-2 years to players after the whole Bargs fiasco (7 years)? I wonder when you will turn on JV and Ross.....i'm patiently waiting.

Also, before you fanboys get all pissed off. I actually really like JV. To me he's old school. Back to basics type of guy. Hustle hard and play like a true C. I am far from racist and thought it was ridiculous to hear someone say that they would only trade Lebron or Durant for JV. I would gladly trade "potential" for legit all-stars.

For the record I think he WILL be a good player. Franchise player? I just don't see it right now. Hopefully, i'm wrong!

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                    Ectomorph doesn't mean "tall", it means naturally thin. I never said ectomorphs can't add size through working out. The same amount of work practiced by a mesomorph or endomorph will produce much quicker, better results. No ectomorph is ever going to change his body from what it is into a pure meso like Dwight Howard or Ben Wallace though. The broad shoulders thickly muscled on that kind of frame is just out of reach by nature. And certainly those features were a tremendous asset to those players. You must think that the non-mesos that fail to live up to that standard just don't work at it.

From the weight numbers you're throwing around it doesn't sound to me like you're a pure ectomorph.
                    You don't think 185lbs and 6'7" is thin? It was rail thin.

So now the goal lines are being moved.

JV is a tall, lean, athletic build.

Someone had a post showing JV at 16, 17, 18, 19, 1st year NBA. Noticeable gains each and every year. I imagine it will be the same until he is 24-25.

Him being an ectomorph as you've labelled him is not going to hinder his career.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                      We should've taken anyone of those offers! I thought you were finished waiting for "potential"? Didn't you say you only now give 1-2 years to players after the whole Bargs fiasco (7 years)? I wonder when you will turn on JV and Ross.....i'm patiently waiting.

Also, before you fanboys get all pissed off. I actually really like JV. To me he's old school. Back to basics type of guy. Hustle hard and play like a true C. I am far from racist and thought it was ridiculous to hear someone say that they would only trade Lebron or Durant for JV. I would gladly trade "potential" for legit all-stars.

For the record I think he WILL be a good player. Franchise player? I just don't see it right now. Hopefully, i'm wrong!
                      Did I miss JV's second season?

Pretty sure he is 13 of 82 games in.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        wow guys... stop talking about "somatotype" shit. Are you freaking scientists? It can be changed or it can't be changed who the hell knows. Some human beings have different bone structure which would definitely affect "changing samototype". Personally I think humans have combination of "somatotypes", but I'm not scientist so.. Stucking on treadmill machine, doing weight training and eating right diet is just a way to stay healthy, perform, feel and look better ( more muscles, less fat ).

Remember that NBA players have 82+ games a season. Every minute in the game is like HIIT exercise and some guys just can't grow muscle during the season - which is ABSOLUTELY normal. The only thing JV needs to do now is continue to work hard in the gym, get proper coaching, eat right diet,supplements and he'll do just fine.

I have no doubts he'll look bigger and will be stronger in few years, but it doesn't mean that's because his "somatotype' has changed.
                        Yep. Too many doctors around.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                          No disagreement with any of that, except that, as an inside player, his lack of strength compared with some of the guys he'll face will hold him back a bit.
                          You can also add strength without size.

I'm going to have to disagree with you and leave it at that.

I find this line of reasoning similar to the notion that a guy can't rebound because he isn't the tallest yet some of the best rebounders of the last 30 years have been 6'9" and under: Malone, Rodman, Barkley.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                            The classification system is a 7 point scale using 3 main body types -- endomorph (naturally fat), mesomorph (naturally well-muscled), ectomorph (naturally thin). So, the possibilities are 73, or 343 different body types.

Endomorphic types like Shaq and Barkley easily put on weight. You are an endomorph if you gain weight by looking at pictures of food.

One of the main features that can distinguish a mesomorph, in my experience, is broad, thickly muscled shoulders. By way of example: D12, Karl Malone, Ben Wallace, Anthony Mason, David Robinson.

Those shoulders are genetically out of reach to someone like Mo Farah. No amount of weight training will change him into U-Bolt. He can train, and he can add good weight, but there's a genetic threshold he cannot cross.
                            If you have ever stood beside the guys mentioned, you would see that in reality, they are pretty much well built ectomorphs, Mason and to an exten malone, notwithstanding. They are still very long thin guys.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              I'm no scientologist, but I believe this is an ectomorph

Hahaha. That's just full of win.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                                The Raps have the first two:
                                Athletic
                                Closer

Now they need three \MORE wings for
                                Ball Handling Skills
                                Great Defense
                                High IQ

Ball Handling Skills-
                                Great Defense- t Ross our slam dunk champion
                                High IQ- Landry fields

just sayin
                                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Working...
                                X