No announcement yet.

The Official "Welcome to Toronto, Jonas Valanciunas!" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valanciunas needs to start hanging out with Mosgov and Asik and get on the "How to get big like a young euro nba prospect" diet regiment.
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• those early vids of sabonis are nice but sabonis looks way stronger than this kid is now.

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
        Jonas Valanciunas Is Not Andrea Bargnani
        I don't think anyone is concerned that he will be like Andrea on offense. I think the concern is more that he will be like Andrea on the boards and/or on D. (and when I say 'like' its relative because I don't think I've ever seen a starting C that was so disinterested in playing D or rebounding in my life)

I'm not saying he will be, but no one can tell differently (one way or the other) until he's spent some time in the NBA. I doubt he will be either, but there sure seem to be alot of positive people based on scouting reports and youtube clips that are, time and again, proven wrong. When guys as good as Carlos Boozer, Manu Ginobli, Dennis Rodman and Mark Price can go in the 2nd round (or a guy like Ben Wallace undrafted), and guys as bad as Adam Morrison, Darko Milic and Kwame Brown can go in the top 5 (with rave scouting reviews) its hard to put much faith in them.

Comment

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
          I don't think anyone is concerned that he will be like Andrea on offense. I think the concern is more that he will be like Andrea on the boards and/or on D. (and when I say 'like' its relative because I don't think I've ever seen a starting C that was so disinterested in playing D or rebounding in my life)

I'm not saying he will be, but no one can tell differently (one way or the other) until he's spent some time in the NBA. I doubt he will be either, but there sure seem to be alot of positive people based on scouting reports and youtube clips that are, time and again, proven wrong. When guys as good as Carlos Boozer, Manu Ginobli, Dennis Rodman and Mark Price can go in the 2nd round (or a guy like Ben Wallace undrafted), and guys as bad as Adam Morrison, Darko Milic and Kwame Brown can go in the top 5 (with rave scouting reviews) its hard to put much faith in them.
          I don't understand your argument. I can understand wondering whether Valanciunass will be able to rebound and defend at the same level as he does in Europe, but to wonder whether he's like Bargnani on defense and the boards doesn't make sense. You just have to watch him for a minute to realize he's nothing like Bargnani, in this respect. He has an interest in rebounding and defense, which Bargnani never has. Bargnani's lack of defense and rebounding were an issue when he was drafted, so it's not like they came out afterwards.

And one never knows if a player's skills will be able to translate to the NBA. Will Biyombo's? Or Knight's? Who knows. The things that work in Valanciunas' favour are that he has shown a lot of improvement over the last few years, he's a VERY hard worker, he's mobile, he hustles and he isn't afraid to do the dirty work. There's ALWAYS a place in the league for guys like that. Especially if they're 7 feet.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He is the polar opposite of Bargnani. There are full game video of him on YouTube - not just highlights.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
              I don't understand your argument. I can understand wondering whether Valanciunass will be able to rebound and defend at the same level as he does in Europe, but to wonder whether he's like Bargnani on defense and the boards doesn't make sense. You just have to watch him for a minute to realize he's nothing like Bargnani, in this respect. He has an interest in rebounding and defense, which Bargnani never has. Bargnani's lack of defense and rebounding were an issue when he was drafted, so it's not like they came out afterwards.

And one never knows if a player's skills will be able to translate to the NBA. Will Biyombo's? Or Knight's? Who knows. The things that work in Valanciunas' favour are that he has shown a lot of improvement over the last few years, he's a VERY hard worker, he's mobile, he hustles and he isn't afraid to do the dirty work. There's ALWAYS a place in the league for guys like that. Especially if they're 7 feet.
              And to Matt52 aswell:

Maybe my statement needss to be read again or rephrased "(and when I say 'like' its relative because I don't think I've ever seen a starting C that was so disinterested in playing D or rebounding in my life)" Maybe the choice of words is poor... but when I say "like Bargnani" I mean poorly. Not "like Bargnani" because he will stand there like a rock picking his ass.

Comment

And to Matt52 aswell:

Maybe my statement needss to be read again or rephrased "(and when I say 'like' its relative because I don't think I've ever seen a starting C that was so disinterested in playing D or rebounding in my life)" Maybe the choice of words is poor... but when I say "like Bargnani" I mean poorly. Not "like Bargnani" because he will stand there like a rock picking his ass.
                But why question whether he can rebound anymore tnan any other big man? There is literally no indication at all he will be even a below average rebounder in the NBA. He's active, tall, and has put up VERY good numbers in Europe. I just don't understand why you'd question it. Do you wonder the same thing about Biyombo? Or Tristan THompson?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  But why question whether he can rebound anymore tnan any other big man? There is literally no indication at all he will be even a below average rebounder in the NBA. He's active, tall, and has put up VERY good numbers in Europe. I just don't understand why you'd question it. Do you wonder the same thing about Biyombo? Or Tristan THompson?
                  Why? He's thin, not very athletic and looks very uncoordinated at times. I want this kid to be good to. I want him to contribute. I know he's young so he'll put on some size, but enough? I hope so. But he's the kind of guy that if he can't develop his body significantly in the next few years is going to be eaten alive out there. He's definetely looks active, he definetely sounds hard working, and I know any NBA organization would help him work on his muslce mass... but if he is gonna play close to the bucket he's got a long way to go.

To be honest when i see him play... i see a short Shaun Bradley running around. And that definetely keeps my excitment level with him in check

Comment

• I found this jonas to be out of position alot on defense and not very good post defender but he rolls to the basket hard

Comment

Why? He's thin, not very athletic and looks very uncoordinated at times. I want this kid to be good to. I want him to contribute. I know he's young so he'll put on some size, but enough? I hope so. But he's the kind of guy that if he can't develop his body significantly in the next few years is going to be eaten alive out there. He's definetely looks active, he definetely sounds hard working, and I know any NBA organization would help him work on his muslce mass... but if he is gonna play close to the bucket he's got a long way to go.

To be honest when i see him play... i see a short Shaun Bradley running around. And that definetely keeps my excitment level with him in check
                      You completely lost me at unathletic and not very coordinated. I really have no idea where you got that because those are two of his biggest pluses. He's quite athletic and coordinated for a guy his size. And, actually, that was one of the attractions to Shawn Bradley. The biggest difference between Bradley and Valanciunas is that Bradley was not simply not very dedicated (case in point, his taking two years off to do the mormon thing). Bradley had the physical skills to be a Hall of Fame player, but just didn't have the mental part of the game. Valanciunas is apparently VERY dedicated and a intense competitor who loves the game. Unlike Bradley, he's not playing it because he's tall.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

I found this jonas to be out of position alot on defense and not very good post defender but he rolls to the basket hard
                        He's 19. You go look at most big men, even in the NCAA and you'll see the same thing. He's got good instincts, though. They just need to be honed.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• I guess I have to learn how to spell this guys last name.

How do you pronounce it?

Actually let's come up with a solid nickname I don't have time to spell all that I'm a busy guy.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Big Val
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Val Venis
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• The Panty Dropper
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...