Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less ISO with dd and rg. More post work for JV. Pick and roll with Lowry and Amir. And if we had better outside shooting, I think Lowry would be more effective. But defenses can hold up in the paint, suffocating any potential drive and kick by Lowry. This team turns the ball over alot in the paint. Better spacing, more ball movement, better work on screens and rotations on defense. This isn't all on Casey, but it is his job to get the guys going. We really do need a knock-down outside shooter, and more touches down low for JV. That could really change the offensive flow. But like others have said, this team lacks an identity, and desperatley needs one to go forward.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
      What BC(not Casey) claimed was that they believed they had a chance to make the play-offs. Not only did BC claim that but the Media, Experts, Analysts etc, thought so as well. Not a definite play-off team but a team that will, if not barely make it, at least be close. The question is - did BC have reason to say that? Based on his off-season acquisitions and LAST YEARS SUCCESSFUL CULTURE CHANGE the answer is 'yes'.

This is where Casey has failed. From a defensive team last year they went to a run and gun team and then back to a defensive team and then neither to no identity whatsoever. This is not to say that he's not trying.
      -Lets see. Last year Nets finished 6th worse. They basically added JJ & tons of long term contracts. Now they are top 10-12.
      -Raps finished 8th worse (or 7th). We have added Lowry, JV & Ross (2 promising rookies & a solids, not great PG) without any major loses. WE jumped from 8th to what 10th worse?
      -Also we have a much healthier roster (at least compared to last year), with a fair amount of depth.
      -Last, but not least a full training camp under now second year coach.
      Seeing the above, I think it was reasonable to expect at least a comparative improvement to Nets.
      This has NOTHING to do with BC. Strictly Casey. Most nights I do not understand his rotations nor sub patterns.
      Consistent fourth Q collapse is NOT BC.
      The worst part: No playoffs, lose a first rounder, not a huge youth development & strapped against cap.
      Only possible "tradeable" asset -Bargs (and maybe Ross) & too many holes to plug.
      Scary!

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
        -Lets see. Last year Nets finished 6th worse. They basically added JJ & tons of long term contracts. Now they are top 10-12.
        -Raps finished 8th worse (or 7th). We have added Lowry, JV & Ross (2 promising rookies & a solids, not great PG) without any major loses. WE jumped from 8th to what 10th worse?
        -Also we have a much healthier roster (at least compared to last year), with a fair amount of depth.
        -Last, but not least a full training camp under now second year coach.
        Seeing the above, I think it was reasonable to expect at least a comparative improvement to Nets.
        This has NOTHING to do with BC. Strictly Casey. Most nights I do not understand his rotations nor sub patterns.
        Consistent fourth Q collapse is NOT BC.
        The worst part: No playoffs, lose a first rounder, not a huge youth development & strapped against cap.
        Only possible "tradeable" asset -Bargs (and maybe Ross) & too many holes to plug.
        Scary!
        If you misunderstood, I'm blaming Casey too. I disagree however on the assets in the off-season. Depending on who's coming back, every player is trade-able.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
          If you misunderstood, I'm blaming Casey too. I disagree however on the assets in the off-season. Depending on who's coming back, every player is trade-able.

Here are my thoughts u can clearly see the help rotations on D....you see the player mistakes when it happens. On offense you see what they are trying to do on offense and you see the player mistakes.

What I am trying to get at is players are making mistakes not the coach

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post

Here are my thoughts u can clearly see the help rotations on D....you see the player mistakes when it happens. On offense you see what they are trying to do on offense and you see the player mistakes.

What I am trying to get at is players are making mistakes not the coach
            To ensure players minimise mistakes is the Coach's responsibility. The lesser the mistakes, the better the Coach.

The other and most important thing is the teams lack of IDENTITY. One would expect a D Casey team to be a strong defensive team. Unfortunately this team is not.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Another thing Casey is failing to do of late: motivate the team.

The Raptors are 3-12 in their last 15.

It appears to me the collective group has mailed it in.

I think he has lost the locker room which would make sense when you continuously harp on doing things the right way (ie. your way) while the losses continue to mount.

Comment

And hes playing the rookies 30 minutes a night its not about ws right now guys hes giving JV and Ross major burn despite them being absolutely terrible on the defensive end I seriously dont think its hes (lost the room) hes swallowing his pride and playing the youngins.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  And hes playing the rookies 30 minutes a night its not about ws right now guys hes giving JV and Ross major burn despite them being absolutely terrible on the defensive end I seriously dont think its hes (lost the room) hes swallowing his pride and playing the youngins.
                  JV is the second best big the Raptors have.

Ross has played well when given consistent minutes this season.

Who is being docked at the expense of Ross? KLeiza? Pietrus?

Also, Fields is just 24, owed another $12.5M, and buried behind Anderson.

Don't buy the Casey/Colangelo spin. This team brutally constructed and horribly coached.

Comment

Fields being buried behind Anderson was valid. He couldn't find his offense at all still cant really but doing a lot better making some shots easier on himself with great off ball movement. Fields has a bad contract because BC gave it to him how much money you make doesnt guarantee you playing time he wasnt doing much defensively and literally nothing offensively earlier in the season.If Casey is preaching Defense and rookies aren't playing good D hes right to hook them if thats the identity we want to have.

Still not co signing the horribly coached approach everyone is getting at when the team is 6 guys + spare useless end of the rope inconsistent guys you have a problem and you aren;y going to win many games. Casey's history is impeccable.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                      Fields being buried behind Anderson was valid. He couldn't find his offense at all still cant really but doing a lot better making some shots easier on himself with great off ball movement. Fields has a bad contract because BC gave it to him how much money you make doesnt guarantee you playing time he wasnt doing much defensively and literally nothing offensively earlier in the season.If Casey is preaching Defense and rookies aren't playing good D hes right to hook them if thats the identity we want to have.

Still not co signing the horribly coached approach everyone is getting at when the team is 6 guys + spare useless end of the rope inconsistent guys you have a problem and you aren;y going to win many games. Casey's history is impeccable.
                      IMO, you are talking out of your bum - that is cool though, I do it all the time.

My post will compare 2 periods: full season and post Gay trade (February 1st). All stats from NBA.com.

First and second bold:
                      Despite Fields struggles with his elbow/shot this season:

On the season, Player/OffRtg/DefRtg/Net:

Fields/105.4/107/-1.6
                      Anderson/103.7/107.7/-4.0
                      Ross/103.8/1.6.3/-2.5
                      DeRozan/101.2/104.7/-3.5
                      Gay/101.5/98.3/+3.2

Since Gay trade, February 1st, Player/OffRtg/DefRtg/Net:

Fields/100.8/109.1/-8.2
                      Anderson/100.3/112.5/-12.2
                      Ross/101.1/108.5/-7.4
                      DeRozan/99.3/104.3/-5.0
                      Gay/102/100.4/+1.6

As bad as Fields has been he is still better than Anderson on season and since Gay trade on both sides of the ball. He is also younger, under contract for 2 more seasons, and does not duplicate the skills of any player currently on the roster.

Third bold:
                      Except the Raptors are tied for 23rd in defensive rating on the season and 20th since the Rudy Gay trade. If defense is the identity Casey is looking for then it is a massive failure. Personally, I don't think the team has an identity and that is also on Casey.

Final bold:
                      Incredible how DC had less talent last year and had much more success on defense. For all the gains on offense and additions to the talent base of the team, he is only on target for 2 more wins based on winning percentage of an 82 game season. I sum this up going back to the earlier gripe as I do not want to forget the original point which spurred replies: the team has tuned DC out, he has lost the locker room, and the Raptors are limping to the finish line in pathetic fashion. Tying this in to recent thoughts from other threads: Casey is not maximizing the talent on the roster this season - especially since the Gay trade.

Comment

I wasnt saying fields has been a bad player but even if the contract is a big one if he is a negative on the team you have to turn else where and all the raps have is Anderson. Last season we were a much slower team less possessions Calderon doesnt make silly turn overs on the bold plays Lowry goes for. Last season there was no Bargnani and the line up though bad was coherent Calderon Bayless> Lowry LLucas. The rookies dont know what they are doing and of people on the squad its just DeRozanm Amir Gray and Bargnani now leftovers from that last season preaching defense. The team didnt go into the camp or season wanting to be a defensive team BC wanted a run and gun if a guy is your boss you give him what he wants not until recently has Casey been coaching his way again, the loses.

the flak going Casey's way is very unfair the team as a whole is pretty awful yes I love me some JV and Ross its great they are getting their burn, but with extended play you are going to get loses on elder players just exposing them all night and thats whats been happening. Not so much Casey losing the room but on the players phoning it in with thoughts of having nothing to play for. Next season will be a time to fairly judge Casey, till then in a second season its premature.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Fair enough but lets focus on the other 80 games.
                          I would but they don't agree with my point so I wanna focus on the two that do
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Tying this in to recent thoughts from other threads: Casey is not maximizing the talent on the roster this season - especially since the Gay trade.
                            Is it too early to start a Casey replacement thread?
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                              Is it too early to start a Casey replacement thread?
                              Wasn't there one (or two) of those a few weeks ago? Or is it just that every Casey thread eventually comes down to replacements...

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                I would but they don't agree with my point so I wanna focus on the two that do
                                Fair enough.

But the original point still stands: fouling is not good defense and the Raptors are not a good defensive team.

The Raptors are 1st in personal fouls this season at 1619. 2nd (GSW) have 1567 in 2 MORE games played!

The Raptors also lead the league in opponent free throws attmepted (1889) and made (1421).

Comment

Working...
                                X