Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It is amazing what you'll find on a Google search of "toronto raptors trade Rudy Gay":

I don't know anything about GantDaily.com. Not sure if the league source is from Zach Lowe's Grantland piece from Friday as this was published at 5:16am on Saturday morning. This is on the site's national sports page at the bottom between "Mannny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez V eyed for September" and "Report: Cycling great Lance Armstrong to publicly admit doping."

If the trade did not include Ross, I think I'd be fine.
    That article seems sketchy.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      That article seems sketchy.
      It does..... but that won't kill my Saturday night fun with the ESPN trade machine..... and here goes:

The always popular 4-team trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bedzxxr

Toronto: Gay, Burks, Foye
      Memphis: Udrih, Harris, Dunleavy, GSW 1st rd pick via Utah, 2nd rd pick from Toronto
      Utah: Calderon, Kleiza
      Milwaukee: Marvin Williams, DeRozan, Selby

Why?

Toronto: Gay starting SF. Ross starting SG. Fields 6th man. Burks scoring slasher off bench. Ilyasova stretch 4 who Casey seems to desire and Toronto is reportedly interested in via trade and was interested in last summer as FA.

Memphis: Udrih back up PG (Bayless is sucking majorly in Memphis this year). Dunleavy starting SF floor spacer (42% 3pt) with visions of 2 year ago playoff run minus Gay. Harris SF of future. Picks. $5M in salary cap space taken off and they are no longer tax payer.

Utah: Starting PG acquired while keeping most valuable trade assets in Millsap and Jefferson. Trade one useless combo forward for another but save $3M doing so. Also free up 2 roster spaces should they trade Jefferson's big contract.

Milwaukee: Build their back court of the future with hometown reunion of Jennings and DeRozan. Anderson makes the numbers work. Williams is a player option of $7.5M next season and becomes their SF. Foye is backup PG to replace Udrih. Selby is a throw in for roster space. Milwaukee still has Ellis (and Sammy D's expiring contract) to pursue other trades or if Ellis opts out, he (and Sammy D) becomes cap space.

Reportedly Milwaukee wants to move Ilyasova. Raps trade Bargnani in a package to get Gasol to Minnesota and receive Derrick Williams, Raps could send him to Milwaukee for Ilyasova. That swap would factor in to the above as well because assuming it was all done at same time it might be reported as one big trade but it would technically be 2 separate trades.

When the dust settles, Raps lineup:

PG: Lowry, Foye, Lucas
      SG: Ross, Burks, Anderson
      SF: Gay, Fields
      PF: Davis, Ilyasova, Acy
      C: JV, Amir, Gray

Bigs are set.
      Wings are thin but Ilyasova could play some 3.
      PG is thin.

Conspicuous by his absence in all of this is #tradeBargnani who I am going to assume has been moved for pieces (backup PG and backup wing).

**for the record, not suggesting this plausible or possible, just having fun on a Saturday night with my wife out and kids in bed**

EDIT: Dammit. I hate it when you take off the blinders and realize that if the Bucks could essentially get Gay for all of their assets, well, why wouldn't they take Gay instead of helping Toronto land him. If the Bucks took him on they'd have 11 players under contract for next season with a payroll of about $67.9M assuming Jennings was resigned for $10M, Ilyasova was kept, and Ellis was not traded while exercising his option. I guess it would all depend on how much money Milwaukee wanted to spend and if they thought they could compete with that team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9wenvv7

EDIT 2: But wait, there is more. Lets assume Bargnani is dealt and Derrick Williams comes back in any package i.e. Raps facilitate a Gasol to Minny deal. Again, don't worry about the players, just look at salary numbers: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=acbm36j Raps would also be able to trade Williams immediately after obtaining as it would be (hypothetically, of course) a 1-for-1 trade to get Ilyasova. Raps would also keep Anderson. So if you were Milwaukee, would you rather go ahead with a Jennings-DeRozan-Williams trio or a Jennings-Ellis-Gay trio? Ellis could leave this summer or next summer as an UFA. Jennings-DD-Williams would be about $25M over the next 2 years while Jennings-Ellis-Gay would be about $39M.... and Williams could very well be a bust.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Jan 5, 2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

It does..... but that won't kill my Saturday night fun with the ESPN trade machine..... and here goes:

The always popular 4-team trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a8tqnsn

Toronto: Gay, Burks
        Memphis: Udrih, Harris, Dunleavy, GSW 1st rd pick via Utah, 2nd rd pick from Toronto
        Utah: Calderon, Kleiza
        Milwaukee: Marvin Williams, Foye, Selby

And to just make it all the more plausible, a separate trade that would be needed to be done under NBA rules but would be reported as all one big trade (ignore the players on Milwakee's side and focus on $7.9M salary which is what Ilyasova makes):

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aet4xga

Milwakee: DeRozan, Anderson
        Toronto: Ilyasova

Why?

Toronto: Gay starting SF. Ross starting SG. Fields 6th man. Burks scoring slasher off bench. Ilyasova stretch 4 who Casey seems to desire and Toronto is reportedly interested in via trade and was interested in last summer as FA.

Memphis: Udrih back up PG (Bayless is sucking majorly in Memphis this year). Dunleavy starting SF floor spacer (42% 3pt) with visions of 2 year ago playoff run minus Gay. Harris SF of future. Picks. $5M in salary cap space taken off and they are no longer tax payer.

Utah: Starting PG acquired while keeping most valuable trade assets in Millsap and Jefferson. Trade one useless combo forward for another but save $3M doing so. Also free up 2 roster spaces should they trade Jefferson's big contract.

Milwaukee: Build their back court of the future with hometown reunion of Jennings and DeRozan. Anderson makes the numbers work. Williams is a player option of $7.5M next season and becomes their SF. Foye is backup PG to replace Udrih. Selby is a throw in for roster space. Milwaukee still has Ellis (and Sammy D's expiring contract) to pursue other trades or if Ellis opts out, he (and Sammy D) becomes cap space.

When the dust settles, Raps lineup:

PG: Lowry, Lucas
        SG: Ross, Burks
        SF: Gay, Fields
        PF: Davis, Ilyasova, Acy
        C: JV, Amir, Gray

Bigs are set.
        Wings are thin but Ilyasova could play some 3.
        PG is thin.

Conspicuous by his absence in all of this is #tradeBargnani who I am going to assume has been moved for pieces (backup PG and backup wing).

**for the record, not suggesting this plausible or possible, just having fun on a Saturday night with my wife out and kids in bed**

EDIT: Dammit. I hate it when you take off the blinders and realize that if the Bucks could essentially get Gay for all of their assets, well, why wouldn't they take Gay instead of helping Toronto land him. If the Bucks took him on they'd have 11 players under contract for next season with a payroll of about $67.9M assuming Jennings was resigned for $10M, Ilyasova was kept, and Ellis was not traded while exercising his option. I guess it would all depend on how much money Milwaukee wanted to spend and if they thought they could compete with that team.

EDIT 2: But wait, there is more. Lets assume Bargnani is dealt and Derrick Williams comes back in any package i.e. Raps facilitate a Gasol to Minny deal. Again, don't worry about the players, just look at salary numbers: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=acbm36j Raps would also be able to trade Williams immediately after obtaining as it would be (hypothetically, of course) a 1-for-1 trade to get Ilyasova. Raps would also keep Anderson. So if you were Milwaukee, would you rather go ahead with a Jennings-DeRozan-Williams trio or a Jennings-Ellis-Gay trio? Ellis could leave this summer or next summer as an UFA. Jennings-DD-Williams would be about $25M over the next 2 years while Jennings-Ellis-Gay would be about $39M.... and Williams could very well be a bust.
        Lol as long as we're posting Rudy gay trades
        [url]http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bjzfmff[\url]
        Toronto receives
        Rudy gay
        Josh selby

Phoenix receives
        Andrea Bargnani
        Sacramento 2014 2nd round pick via Toronto
        Toronto 2013 2nd round pick

Memphis receives
        Jose Calderon
        Michael Beasley
        Alan Anderson
        Minnesota 1st round pick via Phoenix

Why Toronto?
        Rudy gay. That is all.

Why Phoenix?
        Beasley isn't the player he was expected to be when they signed him, so they drop his massive contract. They get Bargnani to back up scola and start when scola retires or leaves as a free agent.

Why Memphis?
        Key here is cap space. They're deep into the tax and Memphis isn't exactly a big market. They get 10 million dollars off the books from Calderon at the end of the season and get rid of Rudy gays large contract. Hopefully with a change of scenery michael Beasley can perform better or not. First rounder evens it out. Anderson has been playing great and has shown he can 100% be a serviceable backup

Toronto lineup
        Kyle Lowry/John Lucas/Josh Selby
        Demar Derozan/Terrence Ross
        Rudy Gay/Landry Fields/Mickael Pietrus
        Ed Davis/Quincy Acy
        Jonas Valanciunas/Amir Johnson/Aaron Gray

Comment

Shhhh stop giving Milwaukee ideas

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
            Lol as long as we're posting Rudy gay trades
            [url]http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bjzfmff[\url]
            Toronto receives
            Rudy gay
            Josh selby

Phoenix receives
            Andrea Bargnani
            Sacramento 2014 2nd round pick via Toronto
            Toronto 2013 2nd round pick

Memphis receives
            Jose Calderon
            Michael Beasley
            Alan Anderson
            Minnesota 1st round pick via Phoenix

Why Toronto?
            Rudy gay. That is all.

Why Phoenix?
            Beasley isn't the player he was expected to be when they signed him, so they drop his massive contract. They get Bargnani to back up scola and start when scola retires or leaves as a free agent.

Why Memphis?
            Key here is cap space. They're deep into the tax and Memphis isn't exactly a big market. They get 10 million dollars off the books from Calderon at the end of the season and get rid of Rudy gays large contract. Hopefully with a change of scenery michael Beasley can perform better or not. First rounder evens it out. Anderson has been playing great and has shown he can 100% be a serviceable backup

Toronto lineup
            Kyle Lowry/John Lucas/Josh Selby
            Demar Derozan/Terrence Ross
            Rudy Gay/Landry Fields/Mickael Pietrus
            Ed Davis/Quincy Acy
            Jonas Valanciunas/Amir Johnson/Aaron Gray
            Didn't solve the luxury tax issue for Memphis this year! lol

Comment

i really don't think the team will trade demar. i also wouldn't want them too. i understand the reasoning behind it but i would rather keep someone who has shown improvement/work ethic and love for the city. i think toronto needs a spokesman for other players. i think that a player suck as demar who came when we sucked and hopefully will be here as we continue to improve sends a message that we are real.

if we send him out i think it only emphasizes that this team is a revolving door for players waiting to get to america. hopefully he isn't included. i would love gay but not at the cost of any of the young players. not for ed/demar/ross/val. anyone and anything else is ok for me. unfortunately we don't even know what draft we have to give up a pick so we can't include one.

i have a question i hope someone can answer. i know we have to have a pick bi-annually, but does it have to be a raptors pick? if we trade/buy the 30th pick in the draft does that count as one of our picks in 2 seperate years?

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                i really don't think the team will trade demar. i also wouldn't want them too. i understand the reasoning behind it but i would rather keep someone who has shown improvement/work ethic and love for the city. i think toronto needs a spokesman for other players. i think that a player suck as demar who came when we sucked and hopefully will be here as we continue to improve sends a message that we are real.

if we send him out i think it only emphasizes that this team is a revolving door for players waiting to get to america. hopefully he isn't included. i would love gay but not at the cost of any of the young players. not for ed/demar/ross/val. anyone and anything else is ok for me. unfortunately we don't even know what draft we have to give up a pick so we can't include one.

i have a question i hope someone can answer. i know we have to have a pick bi-annually, but does it have to be a raptors pick? if we trade/buy the 30th pick in the draft does that count as one of our picks in 2 seperate years?
                and you don't think obtaining Rudy Gay would get rid of the notion we can't get big name players?

Comment

Oof get Burks, Gay and Foye while not trading Ross? So in.

Sweet sweet Burksy
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                    and you don't think obtaining Rudy Gay would get rid of the notion we can't get big name players?
                    gay comes and plays for 3 or 4 years and leaves. not a guarentee but follows a pattern. i think acquiring gay is a good idea but not at the expense of a hard worker/younger/cheaper/signed longer and has let it be known he enjoys it here. i would rather reward demar then roll the dice gay stays after this contract or we trade our youth for a 3 year window before val becomes a restricted free agent and we are forced to max deal him.

if gay comes in i dont want the young guys going out. that is why i think cleveland gets him with their picks because i doubt they want to give up their young guys as well.

Comment

+1. I'd like to keep the younger players, because they work hard, and seem like they want to be here.

Gay, I don't know if he'd resign unless we're going to offer him max or start being a serious contender.

Comment

This morning I came up with the following Raptors/Gay trade:
                        http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ap3f96f

Toronto gets Gay and Gortat
                        Phoenix gets Bargnani and 2nd rounder (from Toronto)
                        Memphis gets Reddick, A Johnson, 2nd rounder (from Toronto)
                        Orlando gets Fields

For Toronto I got the idea from the Matt Moore piece on RR last week. He suggested a trade of Gortat for Bargnani and I think Gortat would be a really great big to have in the line up to help JV become a better player.

Memphis needs to shed salary (this way they save $4.3M thus getting them below luxury tax this year), and get a shooter which they need. If Reddick does not resign they save an additional $6M once his contract goes off the books.

Orlando does a lateral move by swapping Reddick for Fields. Fields is younger and can play SF which is perfect since Turk is a pile of poop. Orlando would not get cap relief if Reddick doesn't resign but they would not be a free agent destination anyway.

Comment

Hey Matt,
                          as to why Cleveland may not be interested, it is probably because we have a wing (Waiters) whose skill set overlaps a lot with Gay's. Nowhere near the same level at this time, but the guy looks he could potentially be a minor star.

What Cleveland needs most is a wing defender who is also a very good jump shooter, especially from the three. It's basically why I was hoping they pursued Nicolas Batum much harder than they did.

The Cleveland boards (and I) are not that high on Gee. Very athletic but I can't see him being more than a 20-24 mpg player in a couple of years.

Btw, the Canadian boy is doing very well since he was unmasked. Most of his points are coming off hook shots (a few more from the right hand than left) and he's rebounding at a tremendous pace (these numbers will likely go down when Andy is back). Part of the improvement may be that Big Z has been practicing with him one on one to improve his play on offense.

Comment

Why would Orlando trade Reddick for Fields?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              This morning I came up with the following Raptors/Gay trade:
                              http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ap3f96f

Toronto gets Gay and Gortat
                              Phoenix gets Bargnani and 2nd rounder (from Toronto)
                              Memphis gets Reddick, A Johnson, 2nd rounder (from Toronto)
                              Orlando gets Fields

For Toronto I got the idea from the Matt Moore piece on RR last week. He suggested a trade of Gortat for Bargnani and I think Gortat would be a really great big to have in the line up to help JV become a better player.

Memphis needs to shed salary (this way they save $4.3M thus getting them below luxury tax this year), and get a shooter which they need. If Reddick does not resign they save an additional $6M once his contract goes off the books.

Orlando does a lateral move by swapping Reddick for Fields. Fields is younger and can play SF which is perfect since Turk is a pile of poop. Orlando would not get cap relief if Reddick doesn't resign but they would not be a free agent destination anyway.
                              Ya this is really one sided for Toronto. Reddick is playing at an Allstar level, no way fields would be enough for Orlando. Gortat is worth a lot more than Bargnani and a second rounder, and gay is probably worth more than reddick and Amir.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                                Hey Matt,
                                as to why Cleveland may not be interested, it is probably because we have a wing (Waiters) whose skill set overlaps a lot with Gay's. Nowhere near the same level at this time, but the guy looks he could potentially be a minor star.

What Cleveland needs most is a wing defender who is also a very good jump shooter, especially from the three. It's basically why I was hoping they pursued Nicolas Batum much harder than they did.

The Cleveland boards (and I) are not that high on Gee. Very athletic but I can't see him being more than a 20-24 mpg player in a couple of years.

Btw, the Canadian boy is doing very well since he was unmasked. Most of his points are coming off hook shots (a few more from the right hand than left) and he's rebounding at a tremendous pace (these numbers will likely go down when Andy is back). Part of the improvement may be that Big Z has been practicing with him one on one to improve his play on offense.
                                I always thought Gay is a pretty good defender.

Can't Gay and Waiters (SG & SF) play together?

Comment

Working...
                                X