Wing Regression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enlightenment wrote: View Post
    The huge regression in Fg% says otherwise. He was a lot more comfortable on the floor last year for some reason, now he looks confused as if the game has quickened its pace without him. His turnovers are up, his fouls are up, his rebounds are slightly down, his Fg% is greatly reduced (thus affecting his pts) all during the same amount of minutes!

Expecting him to remain on par with last year I think is incredibly realistic (especially considering he's young and is SUPPOSED to improve!), yet he's fallen below that expectation, and in my books thats called a regression.
    His expectations were he was going to become an all-star this season. We all saw why he didn't make it....

Definition of Regression: A return to a former or less developed state.

He didn't return to the raw player he once was when he first came into the league, if anything he became better with the three point shot. His stats have declined from last season, but it isn't what it was when he was a rookie. IMO, I agree with Matt. He hasn't regressed, just hasn't reached his expectations.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Although he has regressed overall this season one thing he has improved this season is his passing. His drive and kick game is coming along very well.

Comment

why_you_mad_tho wrote: View Post
        Although he has regressed overall this season one thing he has improved this season is his passing. His drive and kick game is coming along very well.
        Disagree with the regression, agree with the drive and kick. He seems to have underrated court vision.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          His expectations were he was going to become an all-star this season. We all saw why he didn't make it....

Definition of Regression: A return to a former or less developed state.

He didn't return to the raw player he once was when he first came into the league, if anything he became better with the three point shot. His stats have declined from last season, but it isn't what it was when he was a rookie. IMO, I agree with Matt. He hasn't regressed, just hasn't reached his expectations.
          Clearly im not comparing this to his rookie campaign (unfair comparison due to lack of minutes) but rather directly comparing it to last year which in comparison is a true regress. I dont know how you can argue that? Your definition proves my point! he has returned as a less developed state this year when compared to last, therefor he has regressed since last year! (other than 3pt shot)
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_derozan/
            dds' numbers this year vs career. most numbers are up. a huge 8% on his 3s if that can continue wow. assists up rebounds up.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_...eer_stats.html
            directly compared to last year slightly down in most categories but we need to wait until the end of the year to see if he can even them out. pretty sure last year was a slow start and strong finish as well.

does anyone have the numbers of the first 41 games last year compared with the first 32 games this year?

really not much of a regression at all given the circumstances of this year.

Comment

Clearly im not comparing this to his rookie campaign (unfair comparison due to lack of minutes) but rather directly comparing it to last year which in comparison is a true regress. I dont know how you can argue that? Your definition proves my point! he has returned as a less developed state this year when compared to last, therefor he has regressed since last year! (other than 3pt shot)
              He didn't become a worse player than he was last year......

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_derozan/
                dds' numbers this year vs career. most numbers are up. a huge 8% on his 3s if that can continue wow. assists up rebounds up.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_...eer_stats.html
                directly compared to last year slightly down in most categories but we need to wait until the end of the year to see if he can even them out. pretty sure last year was a slow start and strong finish as well.

does anyone have the numbers of the first 41 games last year compared with the first 32 games this year?

really not much of a regression at all given the circumstances of this year.
                +1

Yeah, Demar has a consistency of starting weak, finishing strong i.e USC, rookie season, last season.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                  He didn't become a worse player than he was last year......
                  thats not what the stats say, or how he looks on the court. How can you say that a drop from .467 FG% (last year) to .409 FG% (this year) (.500 FG% in his rookie year)

Ill even get into the more advanced stats:
                  Last year TS%: 53% This year TS%: 49.6% = regression by 6.4% ([53-49.6]/53)
                  Last year Eff: 14.11 This year Eff: 11.41 = regression by 19%
                  Last year WS: 3.58 This year WS: 1.5 = regression by 58%
                  Last year PER: 14.47 This year PER: 12.11 = regression by 16%

Infact even when compared to his ROOKIE campaign he's got a lower WS, PER (only slightly), TRR, TS%, and Ast%.

He's regressed incredibly on his 10-23ft jump shot when compared to last year
                  He's regressed with his Ast:TO
                  He's regressed with his Steals

INFACT, the only few things he's actually improved or maintained would be his 3pt% (still not a very good %) and his ability to dish out assists (encouraging statistic! Although due to higher turnover rates STILL regresses with Ast:TO)

Now please enlighten me, how has he NOT become a worse player when compare to last year (and even arguably his rookie season)???

How is this not a "return to an original or less developed state"???

Comment

thats not what the stats say, or how he looks on the court. How can you say that a drop from .467 FG% (last year) to .409 FG% (this year) (.500 FG% in his rookie year)

Infact even when compared to his ROOKIE campaign he's got a lower WS, PER (only slightly), TRR, TS%, and Ast%.

INFACT, the only few things he's actually improved or maintained would be his 3pt% (still not a very good %) and his ability to dish out assists (encouraging statistic! Although due to higher turnover rates STILL regresses with Ast:TO)

Now please enlighten me, how has he NOT become a worse player when compare to last year (and even arguably his rookie season)???

bring up the stats before the all star break last year. let him finish this year and then make the comparison. he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. last year he played for a different minded coach who preached all offense. had way more easy runs at the basket and this year is for the first time playing in a structured offense.

the lack of training camp and practice time these players are getting can't be understated.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/paul_p...eer_stats.html
                    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kobe_b...eer_stats.html
                    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dirk_n...eer_stats.html

here are three players who i would say have also not regressed even though their numbers are all off of last years numbers.
                    this year the league is generally not as good as last year. it is happening across the board.

Comment

Regression in stats sure. As a player? I don't believe so one bit. He isn't declining as a player and gives you bad stats. Regression is usually what you see from older players my friend. Where they start great, and then finish off lower, lower, and lower, and just can't do the things that they use too i.e Slash, drive, dunk, all this athletic stuff. Demar is inconsistent, a lot of players are inconsistent, but it doesn't mean they regress from who they are. Nick Young is an example, Joe Johnson his PPG has gone down since the 08-09, 09-10 season, his RPG and APG are down, and so is his field goal percentage. If you're constantly going to look at stats than you could almost include any player with stats going down from a year to year.

I can tell you Demar hasn't reached his potential, and neither did he or will live up to the expectations this season, but I don't believe he's regressed as a player. He can still do everything that he's originally had, and has added more to his initially raw game.

Rookie season? Most "raw" player in the draft. Second year? Added a jump-shot and confidence, and BAM he was a good player. This year? Added the three point shot, and got bigger than he was last year (but not big enough). He has had some very good games, and has had very big impact in games as well. It's not like his ABILITIES to put up the stats has regressed, it's just his ability to be ABLE to put them up has been INCONSISTENT. Not regressed, he was inconsistent from the start of the season, then progressed. Post all-star break he's been much better in scoring the basketball and what not, so IMO, he just didn't reach the initial expectations he had in front of him, which is in my opinion, not a regressed season, but a non-lived up season.

Comment

He just didn't get to where he wanted to be. He's young and will go through ups & downs and his inconsistencies. It's just IMO, Matt said it best where you don't live up to expectations is different from regression.

Comment

I understand what you mean by his abilities have not regressed,it may just be his current play that has, and in that sense i completely agree. Ive always been the one to maintain hopes for demar, and I still believe he'll become a great player based on potential.

At the same time you cannot argue against the fact that his play on the court this year has been noticeably worse than previous years, and in that term he's regressed in the sense of his play rather than his abilities.

I love demar though, specifically because of his work ethic I believe he will improve in those aspects of his game that lack (we've seen him take significant steps in terms of capabilities since his rookie campaign). Handling and consistent shooting will come, Im not worried about him.

I still find it peculiar to see him and others (like Young) regressing in play when historically at this time of their careers (the cliche: the third year should tell you what kind of player he'll be) they should be improving or reaching their potential. Id like to know why he's regressed (in play) and if it is a league wide phenomena in this shortened season?

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            http://www.nba.com/playerfile/paul_p...eer_stats.html
                            http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kobe_b...eer_stats.html
                            http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dirk_n...eer_stats.html

here are three players who i would say have also not regressed even though their numbers are all off of last years numbers.
                            this year the league is generally not as good as last year. it is happening across the board.
                            but I disagree with those three players not regressing, clearly all three of them are on the downward slope of their careers!

It would be interesting to see league-wide stats compared from this year to last! (league wide TS%, AST%, TRR, etc) I wonder if the players collectively are experiencing some sort of statistical regression. I heard Matt mention how scoring has been down from last season, perhaps thats a telling sign?

Comment

but I disagree with those three players not regressing, clearly all three of them are on the downward slope of their careers!

It would be interesting to see league-wide stats compared from this year to last! (league wide TS%, AST%, TRR, etc) I wonder if the players collectively are experiencing some sort of statistical regression. I heard Matt mention how scoring has been down from last season, perhaps thats a telling sign?
                              http://www.basketball-reference.com/...012_stats.html
                              http://www.basketball-reference.com/...011_stats.html

all i could find. cant get the two full seasons with all players mushed together averages though and i doubt either of us or anyone else is going through 1000 players haha

Comment

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...&order_by=wins

here is a better one. you can sort by whatever stat you want. i just scanned 3pt% and fg% and a large majority of the ones at the bottom are 2011-2012 teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X