Brian Colangelo's legacy in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Colangelo's legacy in Toronto

Roy Hibbert and LaMarcus Aldridge? NAAAHHH I want this guy..

Here are some hi-lights the most egregious of all (not posted) is drafting Bargs over Chris Bosh's high school pal LaMarcus Aldridge. 20pts/8reb %50 fgp 3 years and running.

Colangelo has tied his wagon to Bargs and made up the whole roster to support his perimeter style of play from the power forwards to the coaches right on down. When BC leaves town (sooner rather than later now I hope) it will be because that first critical move of Drafting Bargs.

September 12 2012 - Signed forward Dominic McGuire
    July 11 2012 - signed guard Landry Fields to an offer sheet.{omgthismayendhim}

December 12 2011 - Signed guard Anthony Carter.
    December 11 2011 - Signed center Aaron Gray
    December 10 2011 - signed forward Rasual Butler. {fail}
    November 20 2010 - JJack and Marcus Banks / David Andersen -> Hornets for Jerryd Bayless & Peja Stojakovic.
    July 8 2010 - signed center Solomon Alabi {fail}

August 18 2009 - Traded Carlos Delfino / Roko Leni Ukic Bucks -> Amir Johnson / S Weems.
    July 21 2009 - Signed guard Jarrett Jack (one of his best moves IMO gave up nothing)
    July 4 2009 - Signed Hedo Turkoglu $54M {fail}
    May 11 2009 - Signed head coach Jay Triano to a contract extension.{fail}

December 14 2008 - Signed center Jake Voskuhl.{fail}
    December 3 2008 - Fired head coach Sam Mitchell and named Jay Triano interim head coach.{fail}
    July 28 2008 - Signed guard Willie Solomon.{fail}
    July 16 2008 - Signed guard Roko Leni Ukic.{fail}
    July 9 2008 - Traded TJ Ford, forward Maceo Baston, center Radoslav Nesterovic &Roy Hibbert to the Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal & Nathan Jawai; {hugeepicfail}
    July 8 2008 - Signed guard Hassan Adams.
    Draft 2008 - Selected center Roy Hibbert (17th overall pick).
    October 31 2007 - Signed forward Kris Humphries to a contract extension.
    Signed forward Maceo Baston.
    July 11 2007 - Signed forward Jason Kapono {fail}
    July 10 2007 - Signed forward Jamario Moon
    May 22 2007 - Signed head coach Sam Mitchell to a contract extension.{fail}
    October 31 2006 - Signed guard TJ Ford to a contract extension{fail}
    July 27 2006 - Signed forward Uros Slokar.{fail}
    July 26 2006 - Signed guard Fred Jones {fail}
    July 25 2006 - Signed forward PJ Tucker.
    July 24 2006 - Signed forward Jorge Garbajosa.
    July 13 2006 Signed guard Anthony Parker and waived guard Andre Barrett.

BC I used to be a fan but now I am done... go away.
    Last edited by charlz; Fri Nov 9, 2012, 02:06 PM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Those are some stinkers, but trading away Hedo and managing to get Lowry bring things back a little bit

Comment

its funny, but for all the issues at SF we've had over the years, and yet we traded away a guy like Delfino who's actually quite effective. I never really understood what happened there.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

we had chris bosh as our pf why draft aldrige ???the only prob is thinking bargs was a center

Comment

*BRYAN Colangelo's legacy will be two Daniel Stern trophies(once they rename it in 10 years). Until then he'll keep selling us on crap every year.

Can we please stop with the Roy Hibbert pick. He wasn't likely to be our pick anyways, we drafted him only to trade him for JO who was a proven commodity back then.

Comment

ab7 wrote: View Post
            we had chris bosh as our pf why draft aldrige ???the only prob is thinking bargs was a center
            Not drafting a player, especially when you are in the lottery let alone the #1 pick, because you have someone else already at that position should never be a reason or an excuse. This entire scenario is a great example of why.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              *BRYAN Colangelo's legacy will be two Daniel Stern trophies(once they rename it in 10 years). Until then he'll keep selling us on crap every year.

Can we please stop with the Roy Hibbert pick. He wasn't likely to be our pick anyways, we drafted him only to trade him for JO who was a proven commodity back then.
              What would have kept him from being Toronto's pick? The fact that Toronto traded for O'neal is evidence they wanted a C, and Hibbert was right in and around that range in alot of mock drafts.

There is as much evidence that they would have picked him as not. Either way the pick they did trade was Hibbert, so in essence they traded Hibbert for O'neal.

Comment

I can't find an article confirming, but I seem to remember that Aldridge came out and said he wasn't interested in coming to Toronto, so drafting a 7 foot sharp-shooter with better athleticism than Dirk was the only choice to make. Even if LA hadn't made those comments, drafting Bargnani was the right pick at the time. Hindsight with drafting is too easy. Technically speaking, I'd argue that the player to draft from that class should have been Rajon Rondo, but I would have been laughed at if I had tried to argue him for the top pick back then.

You could also add Rudy Gay and Kyle Lowry to that discussion (and Brandon Roy if you don't count injuries). Either way, the Raps picked at the top of one of the weakest drafts ever. Can't knock them for taking one of the 5 (or 6 if you count Roy) best players in that draft. That is still a heck of a lot better than a lot of top picks. I'm sure there were people back then who wanted Adam Morrison taking #1, so at least BC got that one right.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  its funny, but for all the issues at SF we've had over the years, and yet we traded away a guy like Delfino who's actually quite effective. I never really understood what happened there.
                  But the Delfino deal was one of the better moves. Amir and Sonny fit well into the young athletic mold the team was building, and both still do. Bring back Sonny!!
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

dont forget Rondo was in bargs draft too..& Sonny is a scrub..he can stay were he is

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                      What would have kept him from being Toronto's pick? The fact that Toronto traded for O'neal is evidence they wanted a C, and Hibbert was right in and around that range in alot of mock drafts.

There is as much evidence that they would have picked him as not. Either way the pick they did trade was Hibbert, so in essence they traded Hibbert for O'neal.
                      I thought we drafted Hibbert because that was who Indiana had the hots for!

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                        I thought we drafted Hibbert because that was who Indiana had the hots for!
                        Yeah, I'm pretty sure we picked Hibbert on Pacers' behalf.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

hibbert wouldn't have helped things at the time (prevented bosh from leaving) he had very little impact his first couple of years in the league

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                            hibbert wouldn't have helped things at the time (prevented bosh from leaving) he had very little impact his first couple of years in the league
                            Precisely. I forget the other names being bandied about for us at the time, but I recall them saying he wasn't really in our mix.

Comment

Notable players drafted after Hibbert in 2008:

- JaVale McGee
                              - JJ Hickson
                              - Ryan Anderson
                              - Courtney Lee
                              - Serge Ibaka
                              - Nic Batum
                              - George Hill
                              - DeAndre Jordan
                              - Omer Asik
                              - Luc Mbah A Moute