SGs: Who will not return next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special1 wrote: View Post
    Your right ....it is somewhat similar to other franchises.....BUT doesnt it appear that we're ALWAYS hoping for things that others expect??? Like hoping to make the playoffs??....Hoping to get rid of useless players..... I'm patiently waiting for us to get some breaks!

However, I know who the culprit is. His name is Brian Collangelo. We had an all-star and he let him walk for nothing. He tried to change the Raptors into a Euro Style team and it backfired because he didn't even get us the best European players!

I don't want him touching the roster again! This means I don't want him trading ANYONE. I don't even want him firing Dwane Casey. He already got rid of Jose (who only received praises from BOTH Sam Mitchell and Dwane Casey).

As much as others want to blame Jose for our losing seasons I just don't buy it. I watched Jose make players around him better. I TRULY believe that if Jose had a better roster to work with (A Real PF/C - NO AB) I think we would be in the playoffs just as we were in his sophmore year. Jose also had a very young DD to work with in the starting line up for many years.

Come to think of it - Jose also had scrubs such as:

Jamario Moon, Petrius, Antoine Wright, Julian Wright, Hedo Turkglu for stretches in the starting lineup. WTF is this?? I guess people just forget that BOSH or JOSE never really got good players in their prime to work with. I guess this is why they never got out of the first round.

It's all on BC.

Let's not lose sight by thinking of players to trade and coaches to hire. I WANT A NEW GM to come in and make these decisions.

End Rant.
    What does that have to do with this thread, regarding the wings that will/won't / should/shouldn't be here next year? Essentially we're all stepping into BC's shoes to discuss the topic, based on our own observations, evaluations, insights and preferences.

Who the GM and/or coach is now or next season has no bearing on my opinion of this team's strengths/weaknesses, roster structure or preferred methods of asset & salary cap management.

I still think that Gay & DeRozan in the same lineup is recipe for disaster, since they're both so inefficient with their scoring. Gay is likely untradeable at this point, plus I think he's way better overall than DeRozan. Fields provides defense and off-ball play, while Ross is a cheap rookie with big potential. It has nothing to do with DeRozan, either personally or as a player; it's all about asset & salary cap management.

DeRozan is young, talented, has potential and I'm guessing that other teams are still willing to overlook his weaknesses at this point in his career. The fact that he's one-dimensional and being defended, despite his significant shortcomings as a player, is eerily reminiscent of all the Bargnani debate around here the past few years. Trading DeRozan and his $9.5M contract this offseason will give the other team a good player, while enabling the Raptors to take back up to $11.975M in salary (ie: a big name player). If the Raptors are going to trade a wing player, it makes sense for DeRozan to be the odd man out, despite the fact that he is a good player and should continue to improve - you have to giveup quality to get quality!
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Apr 8, 2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

You should probably change your Avatar...... the Dumbest thing you ever said was Fields is better than Demar starting with Gay. Are you serious???? Honestly, how so? Where's the evidence of this? Fields has played limited minutes because he can't shoot, misses layups and NOBODY even tries to guard him.

ALSO

When did Rudy become this great passer??
      Why do you think fields will even be useful? Are you that impressed by his play to declare him a starter?

Fields is a scrub - to be bluntly honest. He's not a starter. You and Matt52 can hope for the best all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that he sucked last year and he sucks this year. He's damaged goods and he's overpaid. We need to get rid of him and keep Demar (If possible).

PLUS - When it comes to the ball movement..... Who is to blame for that?? Doesn't Lowry and Casey have more to blame? "Here Rudy, Here Demar ....now go get us a basket" THATS what i see every game. Jose got others involved (see ED and AMIR) and i know he would've built good chemistry with JV as well. Please take off your homer glasses for a second here......DD is fine, he'll be better.

I would honestly get rid of Lowry and Gay (an overpaid less efficient version of Demar).
      You actually think DeMar and Rudy compliment eachother well? what team are you watching? take off the homer shades and look at reality for a change. DeMar and rudy are pretty much the same player except Rudy can actully create his own offense. Once fields gets his shot back he can be a spot up 3pt shooter and lockdown defender beside Gay. Like Sefalosha for OKC. Just because DeMar and rudy are both althetic doesn't mean that they can form a Wade, Lebron wing duo. You need your best 5 not your 5 best players.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        Fields misses layups and has hit little to no jumpers all season... the only time he does score is on cuts and dunks because there are better offensive players out there taking attention away from him how many times has he been wide open to miss whatever he attempts unless he is already in motion? Countless. Im sorry I just dont see what everyone else sees in Fields beside the little things he does thats why he is a bench player.. His injury as well is a big lingering one it doesnt go away hes going to be having it looked at every so often..

At the end of the day its about making the team better, Id rather DeMar moved for something good and Ross start in his place and have Fields remain off the bench until his contract is up and he just leaves T.dot or stays for a new cheaper deal.
        Fields doesn't have his shot and he's still more efficient than DeMar. Why don't you let that sink in for a bit

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          But Fields is a strange fellow when it comes to shooting. He wasn't a particular good shooter (mechanically) in college but somehow suddenly was shooting better in his rookie year. I doubt that it's just his injury and the need for rehabilitation.
          You don't think a player at 22 years of age is capable of adding to his game?

Landry had a nice stroke in video of his rookie year. I think that stroke can be returned.

And from a confidence perspective I would think knowing his shooting woes have a source other than a lack of or decline in skill is comforting.

Comment

• Moving Demar and Bargs for a big is the best thing BC could possibly do at this point. Let Fields and Ross man the SG position with Fields playing some spot minutes at the 3.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Landry had a nice stroke in video of his rookie year. I think that stroke can be returned.

And from a confidence perspective I would think knowing his shooting woes have a source other than a lack of or decline in skill is comforting.
              Plus it's not as though he'd be counted on primarily for his scoring, or to pickup the slack for DeRozan. He'd be a complimentary piece, the 5th scorer, asked to play to his strengths: solid perimeter defense, rebounding, strong off-ball play, facilitating ball movement and knocking down the occassional open 3. I can't get the Anthony Parker comparison out of my mind... if Fields could average 8-10 points on 4/6 shooting, while doing all the little things well, I'd be quite happy!

Gay, Lowry, Valanciunas and the starting PF (be it Johnson or TBD) would be relied upon for the scoring. A much improved bench should also be able to contribute more consistent scoring; Johnson & Ross are a good start for a solid 2nd unit.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                Moving Demar and Bargs for a big is the best thing BC could possibly do at this point. Let Fields and Ross man the SG position with Fields playing some spot minutes at the 3.
                DeMar and Bargs for Pau?

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Comment

DeMar and Bargs for Pau?

I'm not sure how I feel about that.
                  Pau looks done in my eyes. I think the injuries have gotten to him, he's not the same player anymore.

Comment

Of course adding is possible (not overly confident the Raptors are the most proficient organisation to facilitate that, but that's another story). But, that's something else than just getting over an injury and rehabbing. His shot was suspect before his rookie season and again after. It's just that I don't know what to make of that and that I wouldn't bet big money on his rookie season shot coming back. I'm hoping it does (if that's allowed) because there's a lot to like about Fields.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Pau looks done in my eyes. I think the injuries have gotten to him, he's not the same player anymore.
                      It would be interesting to go through the entire league and see which teams could potentially have a use for DeRozan, while also having a good PF available. Unfortunately, it could be a short list. The only PF rumors we really heard about at the deadline were about Gasol, Boozer and Jefferson/Millsap. Ideally the player would be relatively young (to grow with the team's core) and an upgrade over Johnson. Millsap is the only player I can come up with off the top of my head, as a reasonable option...

Comment

To be honest....I don't think i've seen LF shoot 20 jumpers post surgery (and when he has its been pretty ugly). Check out the sample sizes....they are incredibly small. No matter how you try to spin it - Landry Fields can't shoot! I think its unrealistic to think that he will be anything more than a bench player UNTIL we see how he comes back next season.

Hope springs eternal in Raptorland.... It seems all we ever do is hope.

Hope Kyle can be a better all-around point guard.
                        Hope Rudy Gay will finally realize what a bad shot looks like.
                        Hope Bargs can net us a decent piece or hope he plays better.
                        Hope Landry Fields can figure out how to shoot.
                        Hope JV can turn into an all-star.
                        Hope TRoss can improve greatly next year.
                        Hope Demar learns how to be a better defender and 3 point shooter.
                        Hope DC figures out how to be a better coach and actually hold players accountable.

I just Hope BC gets fired (told to get lost)!
                        But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

He's at his best when he's in the scoring mentality. Other players can always feed off of this.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                          Of course adding is possible (not overly confident the Raptors are the most proficient organisation to facilitate that, but that's another story). But, that's something else than just getting over an injury and rehabbing. His shot was suspect before his rookie season and again after. It's just that I don't know what to make of that and that I wouldn't bet big money on his rookie season shot coming back. I'm hoping it does (if that's allowed) because there's a lot to like about Fields.
                          He went an entire season shooting 40% at 22 years of age in the NBA. I was alluding to your college comments. He was a rookie at 22 years of age and he had a very nice stroke that he did not seem to possess in college. Compare video of him in his rookie year to this season. I think that is 100% correctable. Unless there is permanent nerve damage - which there has been no indication of - I don't see why he can't regain the stroke and form he showed just 2 years ago. The guy is only 24 and has shown dramatic improvements from his return in December.

Comment

• With his injury just be prepared or nights where he provides nothing botched plays isnt playing at all or the reason Raptors lose. Ross over DeMar is an argument for future starting SG Fields is not. Fields has a high percentage because more of what he does is layups and dunks off his cuts, he has no range and hasnt been a 3 point shooter since his rookie season Knicks were glad hes gone.

Careful what you wish for fans. IF DeMar gets moved its to start Ross and throw him into the fire and I'll be excited for that but it wont be for Fields starting im sorry it just isnt. Basketball a guy that can score the ball is just a valuable commodity and DeMar can do that.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              With his injury just be prepared or nights where he provides nothing botched plays isnt playing at all or the reason Raptors lose. Ross over DeMar is an argument for future starting SG Fields is not. Fields has a high percentage because more of what he does is layups and dunks off his cuts, he has no range and hasnt been a 3 point shooter since his rookie season Knicks were glad hes gone.

Careful what you wish for fans. IF DeMar gets moved its to start Ross and throw him into the fire and I'll be excited for that but it wont be for Fields starting im sorry it just isnt. Basketball a guy that can score the ball is just a valuable commodity and DeMar can do that.
                              Bold:
                              So 21 foot jump shots is the shot of choice? Clearly a viewer and fan of Raptor basketball and the low 30 winning percentage of the last few years.

Underlined:
                              And DeRozan does?

Comment

Bold:
                                So 21 foot jump shots is the shot of choice? Clearly a viewer and fan of Raptor basketball and the low 30 winning percentage of the last few years.

Underlined:
                                And DeRozan does?
                                More than Fields, Matt52 are you really arguing that Fields is the Raptors long term answer at starting 2 guard seriously?

Like I said earlier you think its DeMars fault why Raps lose games?

Comment

Working...
                                X