2011 NBA Draft - Who should be pick + International Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trife76 wrote: View Post
    Ummmm Ed Davis was never projected to be a top 5 player in the 2010 draft...stop making shit up..
    Most mocks had Davis a top-5 pick up until his injury.

Comment

Joseph's not a bad player - I just don't think he's on the same level as Irving, Selby or Knight. I don't think he'll be a one and done player thought - with Thompson on the team now and Kabongo on the way, I think those 3 might want to stay a year or two together and soaking up the college life.

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
        Ummmm Ed Davis was never projected to be a top 5 player in the 2010 draft...stop making shit up..
        No one is making anything up.As MangoKid stated, Davis was in the top 5 in several mock drafts early in the season, last year. Stop accusing people of making stuff up.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I am hoping to catch some college games on TV this year in order to actually be able to get a look at some of the top prospects (reading about them only takes you so far...). Does anyone know what channels show NCAA games here in Canada?
          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
            I am hoping to catch some college games on TV this year in order to actually be able to get a look at some of the top prospects (reading about them only takes you so far...). Does anyone know what channels show NCAA games here in Canada?
            Rogers usually has those specialty channels (I think it's like $30/month) that show college ball games. Doesn't MTS offer the same channels? I thought they would.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              Rogers usually has those specialty channels (I think it's like $30/month) that show college ball games. Doesn't MTS offer the same channels? I thought they would.
              My hope was that channels like The Score, TSN, or even CBS would be showing a number of games.

Comment

ABC and CBS usually start broadcasting the saturday games once college football season is over. the score carries all of the tournament, and a lot of the ESPN regular season games. often on wednesday nights, packaged before or after court surfing. they might get some thursday night games now too since it looks like the TNT NBA games have been picked up by sportsnet or TSN/TSN2.

apart from that, yeah, specialty channels. big ten network shows big ten games. in vancouver (shaw) we'll get games on channel 47 (peachtree, which shows SEC games) and 64 (no idea what network that is but they show ACC games), again, once college football season is over.

Comment

Kyrie Irving is the prospect who appeals to me the most. He strikes me as a fantastic blend of skills and seems to be a down to earth guy from the interviews I have watched with him. Forecasting right now, I would take him over any one else. In his first game for Duke, Kyrie dropped the following line:

17 points/9assists/4rebounds/1turnover/2steals/1block. He shot 4-10, 3/6 from three point, and 6/6 from the line. Oh yeah, he did all of this in only 25 minutes on the court.

I know that is a small sample size, but those are great numbers. He lead the team in assists and tied for lead in rebounds...a PG who controls the flow, scores when needed, and rebounds well. Those are some really nice numbers.
                  i have not yet seen a single game by any of these prospects you guys are talking about (and i suspect most of you are in the same boat)... but having said that, yeah, i'm behind everything you said about irving.

the biggest factors for me are that 1) from what i've read, he's the most highly touted recruit at puke in a long time, and, as much as i hate them, they seem to be a reasonably successful program. and 2) he's starting ahead of seth curry*, who led his league in scoring at liberty as a freshman and whom many scouts think has the potential to be better than his brother.

*side note - if we drop in the draft, and if curry comes out, i'd really like it if we nabbed him, provided he shows anything resembling that potential scouts are so excited about. because his brother's already one of my favourite players in the NBA, who i think will be one of the best guards of his generation.

Comment

@Chris Thanks!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      At this point, I haven't seen Joseph rank as even a lottery pick next year. I'd love for him to be a great player, but let's wait and see what he does. Besides, I don't know if you really want to make him the first ever Canadian player playing in his hometown. Great for the fans, bad for Joseph. Too many distractions.
                      re: playing in your hometown - depends on the player. if the kid has his head screwed on right i don't think it matters at all, seems to be working out alright for rose and roy (not quite his hometown but close enough). though if you're talking about the enormous PRESSURE lumped on him of being the first canadian on the raps by toronto's ridiculous media, then i might be inclined to agree.

also agree that being canadian should be the last on our list of credentials for drafting a player.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
                        i have not yet seen a single game by any of these prospects you guys are talking about (and i suspect most of you are in the same boat)... but having said that, yeah, i'm behind everything you said about irving.

the biggest factors for me are that 1) from what i've read, he's the most highly touted recruit at puke in a long time, and, as much as i hate them, they seem to be a reasonably successful program. and 2) he's starting ahead of seth curry*, who led his league in scoring at liberty as a freshman and whom many scouts think has the potential to be better than his brother.

*side note - if we drop in the draft, and if curry comes out, i'd really like it if we nabbed him, provided he shows anything resembling that potential scouts are so excited about. because his brother's already one of my favourite players in the NBA, who i think will be one of the best guards of his generation.
                        That is why I am wanting to be able to catch some games. I am really wanting to catch some of the top talent before March Madness hits. From the highlights, stats, and articles I have seen about Kyrie Irving, he seems like an incredible talent who I would love to see in a Raptors uniform. The problem is that it might be hard for me to see him in a Duke uniform until March comes around.

That is also the big downside to Enes Kanter being ruled ineligible to play at Kentucky. I would have loved to see what he could do, especially after reading about the 34point/13rebound game he had against the USA in the Hoops Summit. He is a little short for a center, but is apparently being compared favourably to Horford.

Comment

That is why I am wanting to be able to catch some games. I am really wanting to catch some of the top talent before March Madness hits. From the highlights, stats, and articles I have seen about Kyrie Irving, he seems like an incredible talent who I would love to see in a Raptors uniform. The problem is that it might be hard for me to see him in a Duke uniform until March comes around.

That is also the big downside to Enes Kanter being ruled ineligible to play at Kentucky. I would have loved to see what he could do, especially after reading about the 34point/13rebound game he had against the USA in the Hoops Summit. He is a little short for a center, but is apparently being compared favourably to Horford.
                          i don't suspect you'll have much trouble finding televised puke games... they're ranked number 1, and with that roster i expect them to maintain it until the tournament starts. they're also arguably the most popular program of all time (along with NC, UCLA, and kentucky). games don't usually start getting televised until january (after bowl season), but once they start you'll probably be wishing that the game that is on wasn't another goddamn puke game.

yeah bummer about kanter... now he'll go in to the draft as another relatively unknown euro, albeit one with a little more hype than most. woulda liked to see him in kentucky

Comment

None of the top guys minus Perry you should have a problem seeing...Kentucky,UNC,Dook are all going to be on natl tv every saturday....

Comment

Donatas Motiejunas aka Bargnani 2.0 (2.0 because from reading the profile it seems that he can rebound, play better D and is more aggressive)

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/donatas-motiejunas

You can't go wrong with 2 jumpshooting 7 footers :P

Strengths: Versatile lefty bigman with a high ceiling ... Has a lot of potential due to his size, agility and offensive development ... A finesse 4-man with excellent versatility, but shows the toughness to play inside with contact ... Shows a strong ability to run the floor and change directions, start and stop ... Has great legs (strong) and feet (quick) ... Has inside/outside ability with the ability to defend inside and play with his back to the basket, as well as knock down shots on the perimeter ... His outside shot has both range and consistency, and he has begun to develop some excellent moves including a jump hook, a turnaround fadeaway as well as fakes to draw opponents off their feet and excellent footwork ... Shows a competitive fire. He has a strong desire to win and improve, he just needs to show that at all times ... Gets off the floor quickly and has solid explosiveness ... A solid shot blocker ... Comfortable handling the ball when necessary to break the press and has solid vision and passing ability ... Has a very good body and appears that he will be able to add upperbody strength and become a solid rebounder and interior post player at the NBA level ...

Weaknesses: Is extremely talented and he knows it. At times he doesn't keep the pedal to the metal, exhibiting some lapses in focus and intensity (laziness) in practices ... Sometimes appears content to be better than others without dominating them the way he's capable ... That's the type of thing that he'll need to mature out of, learning to work hard at all times in order to reach the stature of a Gasol or Nowitzki ... Still needs to add polish on his moves on the perimeter but has excellent potential to do so ... Has thin arms and upperbody, although he has solid strength. He'll need to get stronger to contend with NBA bigs ... Solid length (6-11 wingspan) but nothing extraordinary ... Not as experienced or established as other European talents (such as Gasol or Nowitzki) were when they entered the NBA.
                              (on NBAdraft.net he's listed at #5/#6 overall)

--------------------

All joking aside, if we get the #1 pick I hope we get a PG, I want Weems to stay as the starting SF.
                              Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Thu Nov 18, 2010, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X