A positive review from NBADraft.Net's Sam Littman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Why would the Fields contract change the grade? It's what, maybe $1-1.5M more than it should be? He was a RFA, so overpaying is always going to be a reality.

This team is still under the salary cap (since the writer assumes the cap will increase), has $11.5M - $25.6M in expiring contracts (Calderon - $10.6M, DeRozan - $3.3M with QO, Davis - $2.2M with team option, Kleiza - $4.6M with player option, Gray - $2.5M with player option, Lucas - $1.5M with team option, Anderson - $0.9M) and will still have the amnesty available to them next offseason (Amir - $6M or Bargnani - $10M). That means they could theoretically have as much as 4.8 + 25.6 + 10 = $40M+ in cap space next year!

The only 100% guaranteed, cannot-use-amnesty-on contracts they have after this season are:
    1. Lowry - 1yr @ $6.2M
    2. Fields - 2yr @ $6.25M (from a cap perspective)
    3. Valanciunas - 1yr @ $3.5M (+ 2 team option years, then QO year)
    4. Ross - 1yr @ $2.7M (+ 2 team option years, then QO year)
    5. Acy --> likely 1 yr @ $1M (+ 2 team option years, then QO year), though I haven't seen any official numbers released
    6. Amir/Bargnani - since they can't amnesty both
    --> that's only approx. $26M (keep Amir) or $30.5 (keep Bargnani) in 100% committed salary for the 2013-14 season, and 4/6 of them are technically expiring after that season

I think it's time we all stop viewing the Fields contract as some sort of albatross that is crippling the long-term financial flexibility of this franchise. The Raptors are in great shape financially speaking, even with the Fields contract.
    +1 Not to mention he's a good on-court asset. Whether Fields does not live up to the contract, he can be used as a trade chip in the future, because of his expiring approx. 8$ million on the last year. If he DOES, live up to the contract, likewise can be used as a trade chip as an expiring contract + a good asset, or re-sign with the team.

The contract is seriously not that bad, maybe it was a signing where Fields was found to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, because his continued excuse for the "bad" signing was for the full out chase of Steve Nash. Who I'm quite excited that didn't come here, because we got someone who will develop better for the future of the franchise. No more quick fixes BC, this may be your last!
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Thomas A. wrote: View Post
      "It's a make or break season for Derozan in Toronto and he appears primed to bolt when his rookie contract expires at season’s end, he doesn’t project to be a part of the Raptors future, but he could also potentially yield something for the team via trade."

It drives me crazy how many writers seem unable to grasp what Restricted Free Agent status is.

would you match 8-10 a year for demar? i think 8 a year is as high as i would go.
      Last edited by Miekenstien; Thu Aug 23, 2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Scarsville wrote: View Post
        terrible article...I doubt he paid any attention to the Raptors last season...in my opinion there were a couple of dumb things he said, like amir's contract is terrible (20 mil over 3 years = 6.7 per season) but Linas' contract is even worse (9.2 over 2 years = 4.6 per season)....productivity wise and contract wise I would rather have Linas
        also...dude needs to stop talking about Ed Davis as if he's our next franchise player:
        "Unjustly buried in a frontcourt that will only grow more muddled with the addition of Valanciunas, Ed Davis has proved his worth as a reliable rebounder and shot blocker whose scoring ability on the block has always been underrated."

HUH??? Unjustly buried??? he was terrible...and Scoring ability on the block has always been underrated??? WTF??? ughhh. dude was terrible, I hope he comes around this season, but come on...can't stand these guys who write about teams they know nothing about!!
        MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
        Dude was turrible
        enlightenment wrote: View Post
        Umm.. explain to me how "terrible" 6ppg - 6.6rpg(Raptors top rebounder) - 1blk - 51%FG - in 23mins is terrible.
        agree with enlightenment. i have been pushing for the ouster of amir since we drafted bigV. ed is a player. amir is an excuse maker

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          would you match 8-10 a year for demar? i think 8 a year is as high as i would go.
          Really depends on how next season he shows out, because if he lives up to next season's expectations, that 10 million could prove to be a pure bargain.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            +1 Not to mention he's a good on-court asset. Whether Fields does not live up to the contract, he can be used as a trade chip in the future, because of his expiring approx. 8$ million on the last year. If he DOES, live up to the contract, likewise can be used as a trade chip as an expiring contract + a good asset, or re-sign with the team.

The contract is seriously not that bad, maybe it was a signing where Fields was found to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, because his continued excuse for the "bad" signing was for the full out chase of Steve Nash. Who I'm quite excited that didn't come here, because we got someone who will develop better for the future of the franchise. No more quick fixes BC, this may be your last!
            His contract salary for cap purposes (and trades) is 6.25 for 3 years, forget about the cash payment in year 3, the only people who care about that are the accountants.

Comment

Good article, nice to see someone who doesn't automatically label the Fields contract as horrible. I do agree that ED has loads of untapped potential but I don't think I've seen many postups on the block for him his first 2 years for it to be underrated. He does finish very well off dish and drives though.

Really depends on how next season he shows out, because if he lives up to next season's expectations, that 10 million could prove to be a pure bargain.
              DD will have to make a huge jump (and not just his scoring avg, he'd have to contribute something else for once) for $10M to be considered a bargain.

I a
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                His contract salary for cap purposes (and trades) is 6.25 for 3 years, forget about the cash payment in year 3, the only people who care about that are the accountants.
                Right, right, right. I keep forgetting it's only an overpay of 1-2$ million per year.

Mess wrote: View Post
                DD will have to make a huge jump (and not just his scoring avg, he'd have to contribute something else for once) for $10M to be considered a bargain.

I a
                Andrea is being considered a bargain at his 10$ million per year price compared to the bigs, and we all knew how long it took for him to 'get it.'

DeRozan yes will have to make a HUGE improvement for 10$ million to be a bargain, but with the expense that we've had to pay for good players in the past, DeRozan staying and constantly getting better would be really nice, instead of seeing our players walk away time and time again.

Demar was drafted to be an impact guy, and he sure as hell can do that with his scoring. We also saw in the past two years that if he really puts his mind to it, rebounding and finding teammates is second nature. Not to mention his athletic ability to play the passing lanes.

Comment

...We also saw in the past two years that if he really puts his mind to it, rebounding and finding teammates is second nature...
                  I haven't seen that. Not that Demar can't get better, but I was frankly disappointed in last years performance.

Comment

I think since the opposing teams were mainly defending him when Bargs was injured, he went to the most basic and inconsistent of his moves (you only do what you do naturally when under pressure, right?) which didn't usually work out well.

Now that we have another first option as well as a few more shooters and a big man working inside, I expect DeMar to show better production.

The only thing that might bar him having a decent season is thinking he's a first/second option (compared to years past), which I think DeMar doesn't have too much of an ego to think that.
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I haven't seen that. Not that Demar can't get better, but I was frankly disappointed in last years performance.
                      Well, I've watched Demar too closely not to see that he could do some of those things. In the last part of the season he got better at it, and had a couple of games where he was getting on the glass, making good passes, and being a play-maker.

I too was a little disappointed in him last season, but he had a lot going against him. The lockout, new coach and new expectations, new team dynamics, and past bad defensive habits with a past bad defensive coach.

In general, a lot of young players took hits like Demar during the lock-out season, that's why the veteran teams with experience and talent could really get past all the short notice of a season.

I can see a breakout season from Demar next season, I mean, it's hard not to after all the work he's been able to put in. USA select team, and working with coaches in Vegas, Italy with Andrea, and Los Angeles.

Comment

...I can see a breakout season from Demar next season, I mean, it's hard not to after all the work he's been able to put in. USA select team, and working with coaches in Vegas, Italy with Andrea, and Los Angeles.
                        Here's hoping.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          Here's hoping.
                          I'm quite optimistic, but it's fairly hard for me to see that he doesn't make any significant improvements come season opener. Just my opinion and my eye though. There's been quite a bit of negativity on Demar, and I believe he'll use that as motivation because everyone is writing him off.

Comment

I'm quite optimistic, but it's fairly hard for me to see that he doesn't make any significant improvements come season opener. Just my opinion and my eye though. There's been quite a bit of negativity on Demar, and I believe he'll use that as motivation because everyone is writing him off.
                            I think a lot of people just see/read everything related to DeRozan this offseason as a repeat of last offseason.
                            - hit the gym... check
                            - play/dominate in the drew league... check
                            - show off improved handles... check
                            - show off improved outside jump shot... check
                            - get everybody excited... check
                            - seem poised for a breakout season where he finally becomes a star... check
                            - carry over any of that into the actual NBA season... he's 0-for-1 so far, but here's hoping that this time it's legit!

The tough part for DeRozan is that he needs to show off significant and consistent improvement this year - handles, penetration/finishing, outside shot, defensive effort - AND he has to continue it next year, to prove to people that it wasn't just the motivation of the contract year driving his improvements.

I feel for the kid and hope he does live up to the hype... I'm just choosing to stay cautiously optimistic, personally speaking.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I think a lot of people just see/read everything related to DeRozan this offseason as a repeat of last offseason.
                              - hit the gym... check
                              - play/dominate in the drew league... check
                              - show off improved handles... check
                              - show off improved outside jump shot... check
                              - get everybody excited... check
                              - seem poised for a breakout season where he finally becomes a star... check
                              - carry over any of that into the actual NBA season... he's 0-for-1 so far, but here's hoping that this time it's legit!

The tough part for DeRozan is that he needs to show off significant and consistent improvement this year - handles, penetration/finishing, outside shot, defensive effort - AND he has to continue it next year, to prove to people that it wasn't just the motivation of the contract year driving his improvements.

I feel for the kid and hope he does live up to the hype... I'm just choosing to stay cautiously optimistic, personally speaking.
                              But you didn't realize the things that went against him, not to mention it hurt a lot of the young players as well trying to develop.

- Shortened Season
                              - Rare practice time
                              - New Coach
                              - New Expectations
                              - New Team Dynamics
                              - Short Training Camp
                              - No facility use
                              - No contact with coaches and head office

He had no guide in a year where he was to significantly improve. The guy basically went solo in terms of trying to improve individually on his game. After learning much by experience in the first couple seasons - the years where younger players learn the league specifically - new habits were added, to replace old ones, whether they are better or worse for the player. All depending on what they've learned in the past.

Injuries to Andrea, Barbosa, Jose. Guys that are other offensive threats on the court, were not always there. Demar would than be handed the keys to the number one option, thus being pressured more and being the key to the defensive game-plan on the opposition. He was being watched, he was the number one threat on the scouting report. As a younger player, he hasn't had the experience of facing that type of pressure.

Barely any practice time, and if there was practice, it was inconsistent in terms of schedule/time-tables. Not much time to focus individually, and really improving the team aspects of the game. In Dwane Casey's eyes, constantly improving defensively, and trying to score on teams. Remember when Toronto had the 2 week home-stand (Linsanity game-winner), Demar and Ed were playing horrid before that home stretch. During the home stretch, their production and play had improved significantly. There was practice time, the ability to watch tape, and more time to work with the coaches individually.

I'm not trying to find excuses for Demar in a fairly disappointing season, but he was not the only one affected by the lock-out season, and not many players in general in the league experienced the short-notice of game, flight, game, day-off, practice, game etc. Demar did the exact same things during his rookie off-season, and look what happened in his second year? A breakout.

That USA select team experience should really help Demar, and apparently, he's been working with Kobe Bryant. Only a rumour I read on or off this forum.
                              Last edited by ReubenJRD; Mon Aug 27, 2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X