Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE: Raptors Sign John Lucas III (#258)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't remember when, but I seem to remember either Derozan or Bargs saying something to the effect that Jose is good at getting the ball to where they need it to have an effective shot, or dunk.

Is that true? How do you measure that?

The reason I ask is, it seems that Jonas is a big picknroller who needs certain passes to be effective.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
      I seriously don't understand the absolutely negativity or hate on Jose. Am I really the only one who loves Calderon's time in Toronto? He's one of the most loyal Raptors of all time. Gives 110% every night. Sure he might have been a defensive liability, but he has shown willingness to change and get better. I am really gonna miss having Calderon as a Raptor. I hope near the end of his career, he can return back to Toronto and retire as a Raptor
      I'm with you. My favorite Raptor of all time. If he goes everybody will quickly realize just how good he is. Jose Calderon is definitely not the reason why the Raptors have struggled so bad in the last few years. Wish he could stay but don't blame him for wanting to start...he deserves it.

Comment

• Pele wrote: View Post
        I can't remember when, but I seem to remember either Derozan or Bargs saying something to the effect that Jose is good at getting the ball to where they need it to have an effective shot, or dunk.

Is that true? How do you measure that?

The reason I ask is, it seems that Jonas is a big picknroller who needs certain passes to be effective.
        You can measure it to some extent with metrics like AST% and AST/TO ratio.

And I agree Jonas' offense (outside of putbacks) relies entirely on receiving good passes on rolls or cuts to the basket. I do think he has the capability of developing a nice 15 footer but for his first year at least he's going to need a good passing point. From this perspective have Jose as a backup and running the pick and role with JV when they are on the court together would be a smart decision, but if Jose is going it would make sense to get a pass first back up.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• JL3 is a great signing. We get at least some toughness on this team. I loved that he got in LeBron's face after he got hit by that hard screen. He has the balls to hit big shots too. Looking at our bench, I don't see anybody that can get hot like him.

Comment

• RaptorDan wrote: View Post
            Since Bosh left town, Jose has been Toronto's best player.
            +1

And if Jose stays around next year, this team plus Jose (as backup, or if he proves himself better than Lowry - which most people don't expect - starting) will be stronger than this team without him.

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              And I agree Jonas' offense (outside of putbacks) relies entirely on receiving good passes on rolls or cuts to the basket. I do think he has the capability of developing a nice 15 footer but for his first year at least he's going to need a good passing point. From this perspective have Jose as a backup and running the pick and role with JV when they are on the court together would be a smart decision, but if Jose is going it would make sense to get a pass first back up.
              +1

Comment

• Yes, Jose and Big V would be a great combo. You can see it right now in the Lithuanian team. They have a point guard in his 30s who makes Val look great on offence when the get the pick and roll going ... and when Val played for his Lithuanian league team he didn't look as good, because the pg there was more of a Lowry type attacking player than a Jose type passing player.

I'd keep Jose, just to get Val broken into the league easily. Stick Gray on the starters lineup, have Jose and Val come in on the backups lineup, and we'll clean up some games.

Comment

• I'm not getting overly excited about the potential signing because I can't say I've actually ever seen him play. I mean, is this really a great signing?

Comment

• Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                    I'm not getting overly excited about the potential signing because I can't say I've actually ever seen him play. I mean, is this really a great signing?
                    Agreed. It could be, but at this time I can't say anything other than 'it's a signing'.

I also agree that if we lose Jose for nothing that would be our lose and regret. He would provide excellent depth if he could be ok with being our back up PG. I'd love to keep him, unless we pulled off a trade that gave us value back...no TPE!

We'll see how JLIII does, hopefully well!
                    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

I'm not getting overly excited about the potential signing because I can't say I've actually ever seen him play. I mean, is this really a great signing?
                      Solid third string PG. Takes Anthony Carter's place. Has experience playing that role. Will be more effective than Carter if Calderon or Lowry gets hurt. Not sure why anyone cares or why I am posting about it....

Comment

• keffyboy wrote: View Post
                        Acy can be traded. The delay rules only apply to Restricted Free Agents.
                        Calderon has always sucked. He's basically Chris Childs absent the drinking problem, or he hides it better. I can't take all night to explain basketball to you guys. You'll have to do some learning on your own.
                        +1

People see the big assist numbers low turnovers and great coach-ability and they are infatuated with Calderon. But in Reality he is a 2nd string PG who ranks among the worst defensively in the history of the game. And these days he has a hard time even getting his shot off the bounce. All he can do is be an average spot up shooter.
                        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• Didn't jl3 light us up in that big come back in Chicago? He hit like 2 threes

Comment

Depends how you look at it. If he's signed as a 3rd string it's a great signing. If he's signed as the 2nd string...not so much.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Solid third string PG. Takes Anthony Carter's place. Has experience playing that role. Will be more effective than Carter if Calderon or Lowry gets hurt. Not sure why anyone cares or why I am posting about it....
                              tucas wrote: View Post
                              Depends how you look at it. If he's signed as a 3rd string it's a great signing. If he's signed as the 2nd string...not so much.
                              Perhaps when we know the financial numbers I'll feel better. I just know he's always had high expectations (likely because of how successful his father was) and has never met them. Like you said, for a 3rd stringer it can't hurt, but depending on what they do with Jose we're in trouble if there's any prospect of him being a back-up to Lowry.

Comment

Perhaps when we know the financial numbers I'll feel better. I just know he's always had high expectations (likely because of how successful his father was) and has never met them. Like you said, for a 3rd stringer it can't hurt, but depending on what they do with Jose we're in trouble if there's any prospect of him being a back-up to Lowry.
                                High expectations??

He went undrafted and worked his ass off to get into and then back into the league, if his career ends tomorrow he's overachieved.

I'm a fan of JL3 and think he will do very well for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X