No announcement yet.

So Ed's probably going to get flipped huh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premature for this discussion. Let's play 66 and see where the rotation stands at that point. No decision on this issue needs to be made until the offseason anyway. The Raps are paper thin up front right now and they can't afford to move any bigs. Worst case scenario, you come back next year with Val, Bargs, Amir and Davis up front. There is nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Contra another poster above, I don't really care if Amir or Ed is happy being a 9th man. The Raps have them both locked up. Either guy can always leave when is contract is up or ask for a trade if he isn't happy .

Comment

Ahhhh shucks. Another embarrassing moment. Sorry LBF.

Comment

At this moment, trade Davis. However, it's unfair to judge his game when he gets insignificant minutes and is usually on the floor with unpredictable players like Barbosa/Bayless/Johnson. This makes it extremely difficult to have any sort of offensive notion, and he is running back frantically on defense because he doesn't know what offense is being played especially with that second unit.

Would Michael Beasley be a good fit?? He is a big 3 and a very capable scorer! It's only a matter of time Derrick Williams becomes the starter.... Just sayin.....

Comment

The dude hasn't played 82 games in the league yet, and you guys are shitting on him? Relax, he'll get two double-double's in the next 10 games and you'l be singing his praises.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

I think the vast majority (perhaps even everyone) here is under the impression that one of Amir, Ed, or Bargnani needs to be traded. This has been clear since the drafting of Valanciunas due to the added frontcourt depth that this brought to the organization. To have 4 young big men who needs minutes would be too much. But do we need to make a move now? With the depth that we currently have with our bigmen does it make sense right now? Gray is out for at least another 2 weeks (and potentially more if you look at Jonas Gustaffson of the Leafs), and Magloire needs to be heavily limited in minutes as well. The only other possibility is that by moving someone then Kleiza could play minutes at the 4 spot as well.

What I would prefer to see would be to move one of them pre-draft. But more then likely if Amir is the one who is moved it would be a trade deadline type of deal. With the way Amir is playing, along with his team-friendly contract, he could be an excellent pick-up for a contender at the deadline, and could bring back a good haul as well.
            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

It's not a matter of need, it's a matter of building a strong, balanced team. They also have a large window to play with here. Ed has another year plus a player option before the Raptors ever really need to think hard about moving him or paying him. Amir would only have one year left on his contract then.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                I think the vast majority (perhaps even everyone) here is under the impression that one of Amir, Ed, or Bargnani needs to be traded. This has been clear since the drafting of Valanciunas due to the added frontcourt depth that this brought to the organization. To have 4 young big men who needs minutes would be too much. But do we need to make a move now? With the depth that we currently have with our bigmen does it make sense right now? Gray is out for at least another 2 weeks (and potentially more if you look at Jonas Gustaffson of the Leafs), and Magloire needs to be heavily limited in minutes as well. The only other possibility is that by moving someone then Kleiza could play minutes at the 4 spot as well.

What I would prefer to see would be to move one of them pre-draft. But more then likely if Amir is the one who is moved it would be a trade deadline type of deal. With the way Amir is playing, along with his team-friendly contract, he could be an excellent pick-up for a contender at the deadline, and could bring back a good haul as well.
                I agree. No reason why anything has to be done this season. Of the three, I'd say Davis is the one that is being penalized the most since he plays only about 18-20 mpg, and plays with inferior talent. However no reason why anything has to be done now. However if there is an opportunity for a huge asset to come back (unconditional lottery pick, another stud), then I'm all in. But the chances of that are slim until the draft.

However during the draft, I'd love to see some movement. Preferably Bargnani first because I think his game will be too similar to a SF that also needs the ball in his hands to make a play. I think it would be difficult to give up Amir. No one is irreplaceable, but if Amir is dealt we better get some really good long term assets in return for him. For example, I'd take Amir over Kabongo.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I agree. No reason why anything has to be done this season. Of the three, I'd say Davis is the one that is being penalized the most since he plays only about 18-20 mpg, and plays with inferior talent. However no reason why anything has to be done now. However if there is an opportunity for a huge asset to come back (unconditional lottery pick, another stud), then I'm all in. But the chances of that are slim until the draft.

However during the draft, I'd love to see some movement. Preferably Bargnani first because I think his game will be too similar to a SF that also needs the ball in his hands to make a play. I think it would be difficult to give up Amir. No one is irreplaceable, but if Amir is dealt we better get some really good long term assets in return for him. For example, I'd take Amir over Kabongo.

A player like MKG next to Bargnani could make both players look really good if his college game transfer to the pro's.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    However during the draft, I'd love to see some movement. Preferably Bargnani first because I think his game will be too similar to a SF that also needs the ball in his hands to make a play.
                    Meh, put them on opposite sides of the floor or run a 2-man game with them. Bargs is good in pick and roll with a quality ball handler. If anything, having another effective scorer and creator on the floor would benefit Bargs as the defense couldn't key on him so much. If Lebron, Wade and Bosh can share the ball, I am sure a rookie and Bargnani can, too.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      The floating Doc Naismith head saying "JMO!" made me lol at work
                      blaze89 wrote: View Post

edit: in response to DOC's quote lol
                      Perverts ...... JMO (Just My Opinion)

Comment

Bargnani should still be the one to go, the three man rotation of Ed Amir and Val in the front court keeps me happy (lots of length, rebounding heart and hustle! every shift is an adrenaline boost from these guys!) and Bargnani's trade value is probably as high as its going to be through out his career. Trade bargnani while he's playing really well, get a real stud at the 3, and Im ecstatic!
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

why trade either? we have JV coming next year, and probably a good pick this year. unless a trade you cant say no to comes by that nets us a Star Pg/Sf, i say move AB

C. JV/amir/gray/alibi
                          PF. AB/ed/amir
                          SF.draft and/or free agency
                          SG. DD
                          PG.?/calderon?/bayless/free agency
                          No Dissrespect...
                          With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

It has to be Batum

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Right, and it's a good risk to take right now given that the Raptors aren't ready for the spotlight yet.

I'm not sure what the Raptors go looking for but let me toss out a list of names to stir the pot.
                            • Nicolas Batum
                            • Danilo Gallinari
                            • Chase Budinger
                            • Al-Farouq Aminu
                            • Dorell Wright
                            Disclaimer: I'm not recommending any of these just yet, just looking for reactions.

The Portland Trail Blazers forward Nicolas Batum is up for an extension and says that money won't be the ultimate factor in making his decision.

Batum joined the set of Rip City Live on Comcast SportsNet Northwest, and said he's a basketball player first and playing time would be the main factor in signing an extension.
                            The Blazers have until Jan. 25 to sign Batum to an extension, if an agreement is not reached by then, Batum will become a restricted free agent at season's end.
                            Source: csnnw.com

Of course he wants a lot more PT. He can see other examples around the league of young guys who were limited due to team depth, only to explode on a team that truly needed them. Batum is going to get paid whether it's in Portland or not. Batum isn't exactly close to legitimately contending in Portland given their current roster so staying to be competitive isn't really that big of a factor. He could come to a team like the Raptors for example and get huge minutes and as a key component to their success. If the Raptors can't get their wing in the draft or they opt for a PG then I could see Colangelo make a hard play for Batum. He brings perimeter scoring, he's long and athletic and he plays good defense. He's a breakout waiting to happen and the Blazer don't have the minutes to keep him happy it would seem(a little over 22 MPG so far this season).

Then factor in that Oden will be an unrestricted free agent this coming off-season, Camby's deal expires at the end of the season, Thomas' deal expires at the end of the season and both are in the twilight of their careers right now anyway. The Blazers are in need of a young, capable big man to log minutes and either Amir or Ed would be an excellent option for them.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Source: csnnw.com

Of course he wants a lot more PT. He can see other examples around the league of young guys who were limited due to team depth, only to explode on a team that truly needed them. Batum is going to get paid whether it's in Portland or not. Batum isn't exactly close to legitimately contending in Portland given their current roster so staying to be competitive isn't really that big of a factor. He could come to a team like the Raptors for example and get huge minutes and as a key component to their success. If the Raptors can't get their wing in the draft or they opt for a PG then I could see Colangelo make a hard play for Batum. He brings perimeter scoring, he's long and athletic and he plays good defense. He's a breakout waiting to happen and the Blazer don't have the minutes to keep him happy it would seem(a little over 22 MPG so far this season).

Then factor in that Oden will be an unrestricted free agent this coming off-season, Camby's deal expires at the end of the season, Thomas' deal expires at the end of the season and both are in the twilight of their careers right now anyway. The Blazers are in need of a young, capable big man to log minutes and either Amir or Ed would be an excellent option for them.
                              What do you think is a reasonable contract for Batum - forgetting about having to overpay to get him as RFA - just what do you think is a fair salary for him in comparison to the league.

Comment

I think they're also debating as to what to do with Gerald Wallace who can opt out of his contract at season's end, so that plays a bit part of what they'll do with Batum.

Comment

Working...
                                X