2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Houston would need to acquire a 1st round pick either this year or next year though, since you can't trade away all your 1st round picks in consecutive years (Houston doesn't currently own a 2013 1st round pick).
    It would just mean that the trade for Dwight (if it went down) takes place on draft night, with Houston making at least 1 of the picks on behalf of Orlando. Once the pick is made, they are in the clear as the rule only applies to future drafts.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Assuming this is all true, the difference in approach is comical. Here's Houston trying madly to get off the treadmill and make a trade to bring in a top of the food chain superstar to try and win a title. Meanwhile, Toronto is working just as furiously to get.... Kyle Lowry and the 16th pick in a draft. Or maybe even Rudy Gay! Awesome.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        if Lowry comes on board suddenly Jose becomes a unquestioned trade chip. lets do the damn thing.
        I'm in the camp that no matter what happens, Jose is an unquestioned trade chip.

Comment

• Big changes to the Draft Express board this morning. They now have the Raptors picking Waiters. Good to see Lamb finally sinking.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
            8 for Lowry and 16? So what's the damn hold up? I'd take that deal all day, everyday and twice on Sunday.
            And then draft Perry with the #16 pick.

PG: Lowry
            SG: DeRozan
            SF: Jones
            PF: Bargnani
            C: Valanciunas

I LIKE IT! And we still have a lot of cap space to get another free agent.
            Last edited by Sig; Mon Jun 25, 2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• More on PJ3

Peak Performance Project (P3) founder and director Dr. Marcus Elliott learned this after giving Jones a vertical jump test. Jones’ first couple of jumps did not drop jaws, then the 6-11 forward seemingly effortlessly elevated 41.5 inches into the air ...
              “He’s got a bigger work capacity than most of the athletes that we’ve had in, including NBA guys. He can go at high intensities for a long period of time.”
              Jones is a rare athlete, with one of the most unique sets of physical metrics Elliott has ever tested. “He’s without question one of the ten most athletic athletes I’ve ever tested, maybe top five,” Elliott said. “In any sport.” As well as his ridiculous vertical leap and his deceptive strength, Jones’ agility at his size makes him special. His 5-10-5 shuttle was faster than any big man ever tested at P3 and faster than all but three wings. While some question his natural position at the NBA level — Raptors executive vice-president Ed Stefanski said “that’s something we’ll discuss thoroughly” — Elliott believes that Jones can play small forward without question.

“If he was 6-6, people wouldn’t say he was slow. I guarantee if he was 6-6 and had the same movement that he has right now at 6-11 he’d be a natural three and they’d say that makes sense,” Elliott said. “Because he’s 6-11 people think that, I don’t know, that it’s some kind of stretch. But I can tell you it’s just because you’re not used to seeing guys that are 6-11 that can move like this this kid can move. They just don’t exist.”

“For a long guy, he is able to transition from eccentric to concentric movements, from down movements to up movements and all kinds of athletic movements faster than about any tall athlete we’ve seen,” Elliott continued. “Most big athletes have a little bit of a lag between, say, dropping into a depth jump and then coming out of it or loading onto a single leg and then driving out of it. He has no transition, he moves more like someone who’s 6 feet to 6-4 as opposed to 6-11.”
              No matter where Jones ends up, there will be more expectations. There will be more doubts, despite his skill level and his off-the-charts athleticism. It’s fair to say that he wasn’t assertive enough in college, but he’s hardly the first 6-11 player to not fully understand how to use his body at the age of 20. Call him a risky pick if you want, but perhaps it’s not such a leap of faith. You could do worse than betting on a guy with preposterous potential and a point to prove.
              http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012...i-at-his-peak/

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                It's hard to imagine a scenario where we get a better offer for the 8th pick.
                Or, why not think big, try to acquire another top 10 pick and do what Houston is doing? Or, even easier, what about Val and the 8th, plus the two second rounders and Calderon, for Howard? Why is some half-assed move for a second tier PG (I like Lowry but he's not a 10-win guy) and a mid-first rounder the best that can be imagined?

Comment

• If this trade goes through our lineup should be:

Lowry/Calderon/S.Machado(56th pick from Indiana)
                  Derozan/Forbes/Kris Joseph(37th pick)
                  Moe harkless or Quincy miller(16th pick)/JJ/Kleiza
                  AB7/Amir
                  Big v/gray/Big cat

Comment

• Oh wow. I made a whole new thread for this....

Anyways there are a lot or components to this trade because really, there are 4 teams involved overall. Orlando, Houston, Sacramento, and Toronto.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      If this trade goes through our lineup should be:

Lowry/Calderon/S.Machado(56th pick from Indiana)
                      Derozan/Forbes/Kris Joseph(37th pick)
                      Moe harkless or Quincy miller(16th pick)/JJ/Kleiza
                      AB7/Amir
                      Big v/gray/Big cat
                      I think #16 pick is still a big stretch for Quincy. Quincy I like going late, but he is a guy mocked 20 down for a reason. Harkless I wouldn't mind, but it'd be another 'Derozan' project. Up to this point I see Rivers still on that board, plus Terrence Jones and Terrence Ross.

Comment

• Miller is slotted 16 - 20 it's not really a stretch. If he can get healthy he would be the steal of the draft

Comment

• id rather take harkless if he was available

edit: or ross
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            id rather take harkless if he was available
                            But we would have to wait a fairly long time for him wouldn't we?

NoPropsNeeded: Miller is slotted 16 - 20 it's not really a stretch. If he can get healthy he would be the steal of the draft
                            I guess, but he could also steal from us with his ACL.

Gotta be honest, not too big on both names. I would rather take a player who will make an impact right away and improve right away. I am looking at Rivers still being on the board, Terrence Jones I am a big fan of, and Royce White. I'm starting to lose ground of Perry Jones III.

Comment

• i don't think rivers would be on the board at that point, but if he was they'd jump on him.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                                Or, why not think big, try to acquire another top 10 pick and do what Houston is doing? Or, even easier, what about Val and the 8th, plus the two second rounders and Calderon, for Howard? Why is some half-assed move for a second tier PG (I like Lowry but he's not a 10-win guy) and a mid-first rounder the best that can be imagined?
                                Because Houston is willing to do it without Howard signing an extension. If he gets traded to Houston and then choses not to sign with them long term they will have crippled themselves long term. Not a chance I would want Toronto (a cold weather city which Howard does not want to live in) to take.

If Toronto was going to make a play for a big time player I'd rather see them go after D. Will, but there is no chance of that happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X