No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL @ the hate towards Bargnani. I am fan so obviously I am labeled as biased and all, also because I'm Italian. But I think the guy gets too much shit. When he has a good game, which didn't happen often last year although he has had 3 or maybe just maybe 4 decent games this year already, people still either hate or say it was one game. When he plays badly then people hate. So unless he drops 30 and grabs 10 rebounds he will pretty much always get hate. I think it is unfair towards him, I actually don't like complaining about our players unless it's something really annoying like Bargnani's turnover last night (but he had a good game overall, c'mon) but complaining is alright. But many here go beyond complaining, people actually try and pick on every little defect, finding all the possible reasons to hate him. I don't see why Bargnani gets all this heat, yet Kleiza who has been semi-decent doesn't, and Amir who has had 2 great games this season after playing like shit for the first 10 days is considered "better" than Bargnani. If you dislike him, that's alright, but when you've put your point out there, there is no need to just keep on going on and on about what he's bad at.
    I'm sorry, but it really annoys be both as a Bargnani and Raptors fan.
    This forum is for discussion, which is why I joined it. It is to discuss the Raptors, about the games and how they play. Even when you talk about Bargnani, but people here when they start talking about Bargnani they just rant about him.
    Oh and by people I don't mean anyone in particular and not most people on this forum, just some people who are really persistent.

Comment

• Whether the team says it or not, Bargnani is #1 on this team. The #1 normally takes the most heat with the team struggles. Bargnani has been expected to do the heaving lifting on this team, Amir Johnson, has not. He only expect to bring energy and rebound, which he does when he's not fucking up by fouling everyone.

Comment

• I will back up Panini on this point. Just from reading these forums, I get the impression that Andrea has individually come to each poster's house and done the nasty with their mothers.
        Andrea is what he is, he is NOT the (only) reason the Raptors are 1-7. The reason we are 1-7 is because of:
        1. A coach who starts Evans, who can rebound and....and....grow a beard. Oh and he's also overrated as a one on one defender, has horrible hands and immediately guarantees a double team on your best player.
        2. A sophomore player who some have anointed the chosen one, even though he has yet to prove he's a deserving starter in this league. He's got potential, yes, but he's also kept some bad habits since last year that he should have exorcised by now (tunnel vision, poor screen and roll coverage, can get overly frustrated, etc.)
        3. A bench that consists of a Brazilian with a broken arm, Buddahfan's love child who has been about as consistent this year as Rolex from Pacific Mall (it's funny because it's a place!), an Aussie who's called "the poor man's Bargnani" (albeit, with nice dream shake against Stoudemire capabilities), Jamario Moon v2.0, and Julian Wright, who...I like. I'll say it.
        4. We have no one who can create their own shot aside from Barbosa, who looks like he'd rather die than pass to a teammate (although, would YOU pass to these teammates?)
        5. A starting PG who seems to think he actually deserves to be a starting PG in the NBA while playing like D-league all star, and a backup PG who looks like a Brad Pitt in the cop car at the end of Seven.
        6. A starting SF who...looked great in the World Championships, which always translates to NBA success and makes me long for the days of Turkeyglue and Belinelli.
        7. Jay "I'm a nice guy, and Canadian too!" Triano
        8. Bryan "I should be better than this" Colangelo

Honestly, we're like the Tea Party (movement, not so bad they're good band). We lost? Bargnani! We play terrible team D? Bargnani! We have no one who can create their own shot? Bargnani! Throw that bum out, let's elect these new bums who still report to the same chiefs, who still call all the shots and have left a situation so rotten that nothing short of bankruptcy and perhaps even a complete dissolution of power will save us!
        Last edited by Captain Haddock; Thu Nov 11, 2010, 12:56 PM.
        "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
        -Newsradio

Comment

• Captain Haddock wrote: View Post
          I will back up Panini on this point. Just from reading these forums, I get the impression that Andrea has individually come to each poster's house and done the nasty with their mothers.
          Andrea is what he is, he is NOT the (only) reason the Raptors are 1-7. The reason we are 1-7 is because of:
          1. A coach who starts Evans, who can rebound and....and....grow a beard. Oh and he's also overrated as a one on one defender, has horrible hands and immediately guarantees a double team on your best player.
          2. A sophomore player who some have anointed the chosen one, even though he has yet to prove he's a deserving starter in this league. He's got potential, yes, but he's also kept some bad habits since last year that he should have exorcised by now (tunnel vision, poor screen and roll coverage, can get overly frustrated, etc.)
          3. A bench that consists of a Brazilian with a broken arm, Buddahfan's love child who has been about as consistent this year as Rolex from Pacific Mall (it's funny because it's a place!), an Aussie who's called "the poor man's Bargnani" (albeit, with nice dream shake against Stoudemire capabilities), Jamario Moon v2.0, and Julian Wright, who...I like. I'll say it.
          4. We have no one who can create their own shot aside from Barbosa, who looks like he'd rather die than pass to a teammate (although, would YOU pass to these teammates?)
          5. A starting PG who seems to think he actually deserves to be a starting PG in the NBA while playing like D-league all star, and a backup PG who looks like a Brad Pitt in the cop car at the end of Seven.
          6. A starting SF who...looked great in the World Championships, which always translates to NBA success and makes me long for the days of Turkeyglue and Belinelli.
          7. Jay "I'm a nice guy, and Canadian too!" Triano
          8. Bryan "I should be better than this" Colangelo

Honestly, we're like the Tea Party (movement, not so bad they're good band). We lost? Bargnani! We play terrible team D? Bargnani! We have no one who can create their own shot? Bargnani! Throw that bum out, let's elect these new bums who still report to the same chiefs, who still call all the shots and have left a situation so rotten that nothing short of bankruptcy and perhaps even a complete dissolution of power will save us!
          Well said bro. Bargs is the default scapegoat for the ignorant on this board.

Comment

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
            LOL @ the hate towards Bargnani. I am fan so obviously I am labeled as biased and all, also because I'm Italian. But I think the guy gets too much shit. When he has a good game, which didn't happen often last year although he has had 3 or maybe just maybe 4 decent games this year already, people still either hate or say it was one game. When he plays badly then people hate. So unless he drops 30 and grabs 10 rebounds he will pretty much always get hate. I think it is unfair towards him, I actually don't like complaining about our players unless it's something really annoying like Bargnani's turnover last night (but he had a good game overall, c'mon) but complaining is alright. But many here go beyond complaining, people actually try and pick on every little defect, finding all the possible reasons to hate him. I don't see why Bargnani gets all this heat, yet Kleiza who has been semi-decent doesn't, and Amir who has had 2 great games this season after playing like shit for the first 10 days is considered "better" than Bargnani. If you dislike him, that's alright, but when you've put your point out there, there is no need to just keep on going on and on about what he's bad at.
            I'm sorry, but it really annoys be both as a Bargnani and Raptors fan.
            This forum is for discussion, which is why I joined it. It is to discuss the Raptors, about the games and how they play. Even when you talk about Bargnani, but people here when they start talking about Bargnani they just rant about him.
            Oh and by people I don't mean anyone in particular and not most people on this forum, just some people who are really persistent.
            As someone who has much doubt about Bargnani's defensive game and his ability to improve going forward (because of age and his niche as a big man who can shoot from the outside solidified) he really shouldnt be blamed for that last shot situation. He was not put in a good position to shoot a 3, he was being guarded by one of the clutch man defenders in the league and there is doubt whether he was not fouled on the steal. And no, the record is not because of Bargnani's play entirely but the team...plenty of holes and "blame" in quite a few places. The org. really has to seriously look at whether long term B is the centre on the Raps in terms of the style they want to play and the complement he affords other players around him as the starting centre. At one point in a run&gun system envisioned by BC he was probably a good choice and would still be for such a team. We are not that anymore.

Comment

• ^ Can you blame him for his lacklustre defense in the middle ?
              I saw him numerous times standing still,out of position and getting bullied by Tyrus Thomas of all people...

and im not talking 1st qtr,im talking 4th qtr mid way thru having a SF push you out the lane and lay it up is just beyond soft...
              lets not forget Tyrus on 2 occassions blowing right by him 10 feet out for uncontested yams...

are we going to talk about it ?

Comment

• I still think the whole team is bad at defense. I don't know one player that is an all around good defensive player. Jarett/jose we know how weak their defense is but weems, demar and kleiza have also stunk. Amir and Andrea look lost as they have to help on almost every play because of the lack of periemter defense. Andrea and Amir aren't strong enough to be big time presences in the lane and Reggie is vertically challenged and sometimes to slow. TYson Chandler and Diaw would have improved this defense significantly and would be the difference in some of these close games.

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                You're looking at his totals. The main difference is that Bargnani is getting more minutes, not that his rebounding is getting any better. Bargnani averaged 10 more minutes a game from his rookie season to his fourth.

As for blocking, since it is absolutely no indication of how good a defender a player is, there's no point in looking at it (although it's not any better, either). Watching him play, I've seen really no improvement in his team defense. After four years, he still appears to have no real clue of what to do and when to do it. By the time you get to Bargnani's age, it should be instinctual, but it's not. Beyond all the hype and arguing, this should be extremely troubling to any Raptor fan. You should never, ever have to teach a 25 year old basketball player who's been playing in the NBA for four years basic team defense. It's not coaching because he's had some of the best coaching in the world the last ten years.

Comment

• Bargni is a power forward playing centre. I would love to see him paired with athletic centre to take the pressure of him.

Comment

• No, Bargnani is not sole to blame. (ie. DeMar has a lacking IQ and consistent J, Reggie can build a house with fucking missed layups, Kleiza's post game/all around offense is nowhere to be seen...etc) But he's not free from it either.

That's why this team sucks.

Comment

• Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                      Bargni is a power forward playing centre. I would love to see him paired with athletic centre to take the pressure of him.
                      x2

Comment

• Chris Bosh was a guy who would of really shone with a true Centre. Bargs is just a one way player. Why does anyone even defend him?? You can see it in every single game, q by q, the guy has a skill: putting the ball through the basket. THAT'S IT! He has zero game beyond that. Nothing. Blocks a few shots, has a nice defensive set a couple of times a game but that's it. The other 34 minutes he's out there killing his own team.
                        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• I'd take LA all day, every day. He's much more of a complete player. Much tougher defensively, a much better rebounder, much higher ball IQ, and though he doesn't have the same range he's every bit as able to rack up points. THis shouldn't even be a discussion.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                            I still think the whole team is bad at defense. I don't know one player that is an all around good defensive player. Jarett/jose we know how weak their defense is but weems, demar and kleiza have also stunk. Amir and Andrea look lost as they have to help on almost every play because of the lack of periemter defense. Andrea and Amir aren't strong enough to be big time presences in the lane and Reggie is vertically challenged and sometimes to slow. TYson Chandler and Diaw would have improved this defense significantly and would be the difference in some of these close games.
                            Well, I'd definitely say Amir is a good all around defensive player. He defends his man well and is the teams best interior team defender. When he's on the floor he almost always has a positive affect defensively. The lack of defense around him certainly doesn't make him look bad.

Wright, from what I've little I've seen, seems to be an excellent all around defender.

Weems and DeRozan are inconsistently good. Some games they look good, other games not so much. Both players are young and inexperienced, which may be a big part of it.

Barbosa is much better defensively than he looked in Phoenix. His big problem is that he's undersized and opposing teams can take advantage of that.

As for Chandler and Diaw, I do think Chandler would have made a big difference defensively, but Diaw isn't a good defensive player, so I don't know why you'd say that. He was at one point, but that day is long gone (unless he loses a ton of weight). Even the commentators talked about Charlotte's need to hide him defensively.

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                            Bargni is a power forward playing centre. I would love to see him paired with athletic centre to take the pressure of him.
                            I talked about this in another thread, but this argument makes absolutely no sense, especially considering he HAS been basically playing PF this year, because he's been defending PFs a lot and been defended by PFs a lot. That's happened because he's been paired with Reggie, who has been defending the centers more and been defended by the centers more, who would rather stay inside than follow Bargnani outside.

So Bargnani, for all intent and purposes, HAS been playing PF this year and it still hasn't helped.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• with the way Rondo's been ballin id taked him over all of them...

Comment

• Raptors could've done worse than Bargnani

PORTLAND — Whether it’s at the ACC or here at the Rose Garden, any meeting between the Raptors and Trail Blazers evokes memories of draft night back in 2006.

As much as fans in Toronto want to lament the selection of Andrea Bargnani over Brandon Roy, imagine the angst in Portland, where the hometown hoops team could have had Kevin Durant a year later.

Up until Friday’s loss in Los Angeles to the Lakers, Bargnani led the Raptors in scoring in each of the previous tips, doing most of his damage on the perimeter when many would like to see him become more of a presence in the post.

Maybe Bargnani is forever destined to be an outside threat, a guy who will go virtually invisible on the glass, but he’s finally got a chance to expand his game and only in time can Bargnani be properly judged.

At no point in his career will Bargnani be able to justify the Raptors’ trust when they made him the first overall pick, believing that a seven-footer with athleticism and an ability to put the ball on the floor was worth the risk and, as the intervening years have proven, the ridicule.

Five games into the season and Bargnani has yet to be that consistent player at either ends of the floor, but there have been moments and those stretches of taking over games with his offence and being able to rebound the ball should be viewed as encouraging.

You see the inroads made and the potential, but for Bargnani it’s all about consistency.

And let’s face it: He’ll never be as good as Roy, but the two are different players given Roy can handle the ball at either position in the backcourt and is better off the dribble.

With so much room to grow, you can see why the Raptors coveted Bargnani.

The Greg Oden story is much murkier.

Remember, Oden could have been available in 2006 had the NBA not changed its age eligibility for incoming players.

And just imagine had the Raptors taken Oden, who may go down as the greatest bust among any first overall picks.

Earlier in the week, when the deadline to extend players taken from the 2007 draft class expired, no extension was offered to Oden, who officially joins a list of infamy that features Kwame Brown as the poster child, a fellow first overall pick who was not extended.

Injuries have plagued Oden almost from the beginning of his career, a pick that will now haunt the Blazers, who way back when took Sam Bowie, another fragile big, over Michael Jordan.

No date on Oden’s possible return has been set.

Oden and Ohio State teammate Mike Conley Jr. were both lottery picks, but in an interesting twist only the point guard has had his deal extended in Memphis, where Rudy Gay, a member of Bargnani’s draft class, was given a lucrative deal this off-season.

What is left in Portland is plenty of what ifs had Durant, an MVP in waiting, had been picked to play alongside Roy, a wing tandem that would rival any in basketball, even the LeBron James and Dwyane Wade combo.

The Raptors knew Bargnani had to get stronger, both mentally and physically, be more assertive and more willing to go into the post.

The hope is that Bargnani will be that dominant go-to guy, but at least he’s been injury-free, unlike Oden.

Defensively, Bargnani has to be more of a weak-side presence, be more aware of where the ball is located and his man.

Oden had all the makings of the NBA’s next great big man, a shot blocker, defender of the paint and a rebounder whose offence was limited and raw.

No one could have envisioned the cruel fate that has hit Oden, but at the same time no one projected Roy to have the impact he has had.

The bottom line is that the Raptors could have done worse.

At least with Bargnani, there’s hope, which can’t be said for Oden.
                                http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas.../16009331.html

Great article.

Comment

Working...
                                X