Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If BC was fired, would another team hire him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whether it's a GM or a Coach, getting hired and fired is what pro sports is all about nowadays. To answer the question, yes I think he will be hired by another team.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
      BC is a fine GM leave him alone fans. It is not easy making trades with limited resources (talent for talent) It isnt easy bringing anybody into a losing and rebuilding (building now) team.

He could possibly make a lot of moves but its not worth trading developing talent for a proven star for 1 season there by destroying a long term future success. Moving Bargnani this summer will heal most immediate injuries
      Limited resources? MLSE is a billion dollar corporation, the Raps are usually top 15 in attendance and revenue, look at the team he inherited when he came here? Emery did all the heavy lifting! He fired a COY (yes Mitchell had some warts) for Triano! Who he allowed to fail for multiple years before hiring Casey!

TRex wrote: View Post
      Casey is the one that needs to go
      But of the 2 coaches BC has hired Casey is clearly the superior. What does it say about BC if Casey is let go? Oh yeah, he fired a COY for 2 solid assistants but poor head coaches. Maybe he has a poor eye for talent.

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      When he leaves here, he'll get another job very soon after, and I feel sorry for that fanbase already.
      Sad. Sad but true.

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
        I get that a lot of people feel this way but I'm curious as to why. What makes him a high-profile GM? What has he accomplished? He's been able to bring in some decent talent but has had very little success. Maybe I should rephrase. If you were the owner of a team, would you hire him? I find he's built a reputation as a great GM but that's mostly through his own salesmanship of himself. The true mark of a good salesman. One that leaves you happy with the initial product sold to you but cursing his name down the road when it doesn't live up to expectations. I.e. Turk, Bargs, Kapono, Ford, O'Neal, possibly Gay/Lowry.

I will give him credit for realizing when one of those deals didn't work and getting good value in return. Bargs excluded of course...
        It's all due to his Dad. That's how he got his first job, and that's why he's been given such a long leash here. The Colangelo name is held in such high esteem in American basketball that being associated with it gives your organization instant credibility. Underserved credibility, but that's how the world goes sometimes I guess.

If you were an owner who wanted to win a championship, it would be hard to find a reason to hire him. He drafts well; I'll give him that. You could look back to the team he built in Phoenix and see that he had success there, but I think that run was a bit of a fluke. If Cuban doesn't let Nash walk away from Dallas way back when, I'm not sure that that team would have been nearly as successful. Nash was the perfect point guard there, and I don't know how many players other PGs could have run that team like he did.

But if you just wanted a GM who looks and sounds the part, and who would give your franchise a perception of legitimacy and stability, then he's a safe hire.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I get that a lot of people feel this way but I'm curious as to why. What makes him a high-profile GM? What has he accomplished? He's been able to bring in some decent talent but has had very little success. Maybe I should rephrase. If you were the owner of a team, would you hire him? I find he's built a reputation as a great GM but that's mostly through his own salesmanship of himself. The true mark of a good salesman. One that leaves you happy with the initial product sold to you but cursing his name down the road when it doesn't live up to expectations. I.e. Turk, Bargs, Kapono, Ford, O'Neal, possibly Gay/Lowry.

I will give him credit for realizing when one of those deals didn't work and getting good value in return. Bargs excluded of course...
          In his first 11 years as GM, his teams made the play-offs 10 times two of them being Raptor teams. In this time he won the 'executive of the year' twice. This is the main reason he has earned the reputation of being a high profile GM.

After that his Raptors didn't make the play-offs for two consecutive years during the second of which, he made a blunder of a mistake of not trading Bosh, the reason IMO Raps. find themselves in the mess they're in.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            It's all due to his Dad. That's how he got his first job, and that's why he's been given such a long leash here. The Colangelo name is held in such high esteem in American basketball that being associated with it gives your organization instant credibility. Underserved credibility, but that's how the world goes sometimes I guess.

If you were an owner who wanted to win a championship, it would be hard to find a reason to hire him. He drafts well; I'll give him that. You could look back to the team he built in Phoenix and see that he had success there, but I think that run was a bit of a fluke. If Cuban doesn't let Nash walk away from Dallas way back when, I'm not sure that that team would have been nearly as successful. Nash was the perfect point guard there, and I don't know how many players other PGs could have run that team like he did.

But if you just wanted a GM who looks and sounds the part, and who would give your franchise a perception of legitimacy and stability, then he's a safe hire.
            Agree with everything. Great post. It's quite interesting how high the confidence is that he'll get another job, yet majority of Raptors fans want him gone. It's like his resume isn't good enough to keep his current job but it's great when looking for a new one. Strange dynamic but I guess it has more to do with wearing out your welcome and history.
            There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
              Woah there. Grunwald was horrible? Made his mistakes in Bradley/Radojevic, but stole Vince Carter, made the right moves in Davis, Alvin Williams, Oakley/Camby, and is the only GM to win a playoff round. He got the short end of the stick IMO.
              +1. I would take Grunwald back in a second. Good basketball mind, less BS.
              There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

He's had some good creation of talent when he was in Phoenix. He really started all of it for them when he was the GM. Not too sure, but going by what I've read in the past.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Woah there. Grunwald was horrible? Made his mistakes in Bradley/Radojevic, but stole Vince Carter, made the right moves in Davis, Alvin Williams, Oakley/Camby, and is the only GM to win a playoff round. He got the short end of the stick IMO.
                  Was the man who drafted Bosh as well. I wouldn't say he was horrible but at the same time I don't consider him an terrific GM either. He was OK.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Totally agree. Sadly, he's the best GM this franchise has ever had. Drafting the team's all-time 2 best players (Carter and Bosh) is all the evidence I need.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Totally agree. Sadly, he's the best GM this franchise has ever had. Drafting the team's all-time 2 best players (Carter and Bosh) is all the evidence I need.
                      Grunwald's error that ultimately cost him his job was the summer of 2001. He miscalculated that the roster was good enough to be a contender. That offseason sunk that iteration of the Raptors cause there was no way to get better once those moves were made. Injuries and Carter's slide did the rest.

Otherwise, he was a solid GM. Even his biggest mistake(s) was generally lauded at the time.

Comment

Drafting the team's all-time 2 best players (Carter and Bosh) is all the evidence I need.
                        With good picks in good drafts. Not to take away any credit from him.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Wasn't Calderon a Grunwald guy too?

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            Wasn't Calderon a Grunwald guy too?
                            Calderon was Babcock....surprisingly.

Comment

Calderon was Babcock....surprisingly.
                              you know when you get on a subway car... and its pretty empty... but as soon as pull into the next station there's literally shoulder to shoulder people waiting to get on and you immediately think "oh f$%#... some fat smelly dude is going to crush into the seat next to me because that's what ALWAYS happens"...

and instead, a hot chick with a shirt low enough you can see clear down to her underwear between her cleavage sits next to you.. and somehow against all odds, you've managed to win at crowded subway seat roulette

Calderon was Babcock's hot chick

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                                you know when you get on a subway car... and its pretty empty... but as soon as pull into the next station there's literally shoulder to shoulder people waiting to get on and you immediately think "oh f$%#... some fat smelly dude is going to crush into the seat next to me because that's what ALWAYS happens"...

and instead, a hot chick with a shirt low enough you can see clear down to her underwear between her cleavage sits next to you.. and somehow against all odds, you've managed to win at crowded subway seat roulette

Calderon was Babcock's hot chick
                                HAHAHAHA. Oh man I'm dead. +1 sir. +1.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X