X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean up on Aisle 17

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
      They don't make that decision (as far as I know). It's the sports governing body (FIBA) that makes decisions like this. And, no matter what Stern wants, it will never ever happen. The Olympics is too important. If Stern worries about the wear and tear he should worry about players playing more than 100 nba games a year. But I guess that can't be changed because of the money involved. Just doing it for the Olympics wouldn't help much by the way as there are still the world championships and continental championships, but maybe he wants those to be under 23 as well?
      Didn't know it was FIBA that was the one that made those decisions, so I sit corrected. Also, when I mentioned Stern I mean his influence, not his actual ability to change anything.

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
      It'd say it's also very shortsighted from a bussiness perspective, as I don't think the nba gets more publicity at any other moment than when the American team plays with its stars at the Olympics. The 1992 dreamteam is probably the main reason that Spain has such a strong team now as that Olympic team in Barcelona had a major impact in Spain and Europe in engaging that generation. There wouldn't be two Gasols in the nba without the dreamteam.
      That's a great point. How many international (and Canadian/American) kids saw Jordan dominate and pick up a ball the next day. The Olympics are a showcase for the NBA's greatest talent. It's the "Here are the best athletes we can offer, bask in their glory". The only reason I would love to see an under 23 Olympic basketball event would be to see Canada win a medal haha. But then you could argue that its empty, as you're not facing the best of the best...but I digress. It probably wont happen (an under 23 Olympic ball event) and thats fine with me...as watching every single star in the NBA and worldwide compete is far too much fun.

Comment

• Dunkface nastiness.....
        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Quito wrote: View Post
          Didn't know it was FIBA that was the one that made those decisions, so I sit corrected. Also, when I mentioned Stern I mean his influence, not his actual ability to change anything.
          His influence is extremely limited at best. The ones with influence are those that regularly participate in the decision-making process. For example, Jerry Colangelo, as the Director of USA Basketball, has the connections and point of contacts with other member countries' basketball governing bodies. If he is able to form a coalition with some of them, then they might be able to pressure FIBA (and to a lesser extent, the IOC) into a favourable outcome.

Comment

• Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            Man just threw down a massive one.

Remember when Lebron passed it to himself off of someones back in a blowout victory? This point guard has a little Lebron in him me thinks..

Comment

• He sure does! Same guy
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• That's great! lol

Comment

• mmmmm....valanciunas highlights....Pretty starved for basketball =)

Comment

• Nice.

Nice.

Comment

• Seems like Jonas almost has McGee like ability. Now, let's hope he doesn't have the McGee decision making process as well.
                      Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

• Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        Man just threw down a massive one.

holy jesus. that would've been top 3 of the year if that happened in NBA action.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• I don't find this show boating, showing up the opposition type of display to be entertaining. That's just me. Christ, it's Iceland!

Comment

• Jonas isn't to blame for showboating. He didn't pass off the board to himself.

Also, I'm cool with skepticism, but really. Finding an excuse to complain, denigrate and piss on everything Raptor related, including huge dunks that are getting play on ESPN is just over the top, to me.

Colangelo isn't the one blowing smoke on Jonas, he's had Fraschilla, Chad Ford and others gushing for 2 years.

Comment

• The thing he will need to watch is the hang time on the rim. I've seen a few video clips that would get him a tech.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
                                The thing he will need to watch is the hang time on the rim. I've seen a few video clips that would get him a tech.
                                I don't find that NBA officials call that too often (unless you pull yourself up). It seems to happen more in college.

Comment

Working...
                                X