Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiwke sits down with McLean's magazine and causes a tingle around the equator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    First, good find Matt. McLean's would be the last place I look for Raptors news.

Second, I had no idea McLean's was owned by Rogers :|

Third, what the hell does a person in Lieweke's position do? Other than hiring GMs, what does his job description entail? What are his day-to-day activities that actually contribute to winning basketball games?

I understand that there's a lot to be excited about based on his past, and these recent comments, but is this guy capable of making a difference on the court by sitting in the stands with us creatons?
    These are all good questions and I doubt anyone here could answer any of them at this point...
    I will only hypothesize that him and some one like Phil, even in limited/part time advisory role, could convince some "A" list players to sign in Toronto. Maybe not right away, this summer... but hopefully, sooner rather than later. Come to think of this whole story-line - practically, there is no other meaningful impact. Maybe some other expansion of the empire with real estate, open new bars, which will bring even more $, which could (hypothetically) be used on future players - all this after some initial success, of course.

A bright light for me is the dismiss of the Haws ceiling. Championship talk is music to my ears.

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
      These are all good questions and I doubt anyone here could answer any of them at this point...
      I will only hypothesize that him and some one like Phil, even in limited/part time advisory role, could convince some "A" list players to sign in Toronto. Maybe not right away, this summer... but hopefully, sooner rather than later. Come to think of this whole story-line - practically, there is no other meaningful impact. Maybe some other expansion of the empire with real estate, open new bars, which will bring even more $, which could (hypothetically) be used on future players - all this after some initial success, of course.

A bright light for me is the dismiss of the Haws ceiling. Championship talk is music to my ears.
      If I were a player and my high priced agent is telling me that the Toronto Raptors are about to be owned by one of the biggest conglomorates in North America I think it might change my perception of the franchise. Who would you play for, a cheap owner like Jordan who doesn't want to pay anyone or a wealthy owner like the Buss family? Then you add to that that Tim Leiwke, a well respected and well known entity in sports is running the show and possibly Phil Jackson is also representing Toronto....seems like a big build up in our favour. Perhaps the players themselves don't keep up to date on things like ownership changes, but I'm sure agents are well versed in these matters. Hopefully they see Toronto as a good destination for their clients.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        If I were a player and my high priced agent is telling me that the Toronto Raptors are about to be owned by one of the biggest conglomorates in North America I think it might change my perception of the franchise. Who would you play for, a cheap owner like Jordan who doesn't want to pay anyone or a wealthy owner like the Buss family? Then you add to that that Tim Leiwke, a well respected and well known entity in sports is running the show and possibly Phil Jackson is also representing Toronto....seems like a big build up in our favour. Perhaps the players themselves don't keep up to date on things like ownership changes, but I'm sure agents are well versed in these matters. Hopefully they see Toronto as a good destination for their clients.
        But wasn't MLSE one of the North America's biggest sports conglomerates long before Lieweke? What does he bring that changes anything in that regard?

I suppose it's too early to tell....

Comment

But wasn't MLSE one of the North America's biggest sports conglomerates long before Lieweke? What does he bring that changes anything in that regard?
          Mostly credibility. People are going to be forced to ask "Well, if a guy like Leiweke, who has a resume longer, deeper and more impressive than the Nile, is going to Toronto, then why wouln't I?"

Not to mention its a face to put to a faceless organization.

Both of which MLSE has seriously lacked for a VERY long time.

Further more, he pulls strings. Leiweke has stated that he will be "in the trenches pushing deals and making things happen." He is essentially responsible for bringing in Beckham to LA.

I could see Leiweke as the type who would see the value in doing absolutely anything to bring in Wiggins.
          Last edited by Joey; Tue May 7, 2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

is BC fired yet?
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

First, good find Matt. McLean's would be the last place I look for Raptors news.

Second, I had no idea McLean's was owned by Rogers :|

Third, what the hell does a person in Lieweke's position do? Other than hiring GMs, what does his job description entail? What are his day-to-day activities that actually contribute to winning basketball games?

I understand that there's a lot to be excited about based on his past, and these recent comments, but is this guy capable of making a difference on the court by sitting in the stands with us creatons?
              As he said in his interviews:

- he hires competent people,
              - he lets them do their job,
              - he continuously checks in,
              - he continuously asks what needs to be done to make a winner.

I guess the excitement would come from his experience in the NBA and who he has worked with. He has a couple of things going for him that MLSE has not had in a long time:

- someone making decisions at the top who knows what they are talking about when it comes to sports,
              - someone who cares about winning as much as profits,
              - someone who is going to have a flashing bullshit detector when Colangelo is passing the buck.

**This is all my opinion based on your third question. I give it as much credibility as Colangelo**

Comment

Working...
              X