Next years starting PF now a lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Two of my top 3 options, along with Ersan Ilyasova.

I wouldn't be upset if this team got a big name/salary guy, but I don't think it's necessary, especially if the cost is giving up other young assets like Ross or DD. I think it would be taking the wrong long-term strategy. That's why for those guys, my biggest preference is Gasol, as his commitment is the shortest.

*I also think for Scola and Ilyasova especially, they can both start in different situations than Amir. So it would be more like JV always starts at C, and whoever makes the most sense on any given night at PF between Amir and whoever else. All guys have great team-first attitudes as well.
    Would you be willing to do this trade - Scola and Beasley for DD?

Comment

I love Amir.. and I think he can and should start, but the team needs another legitimate big. Gray/Acy are just not talented enough in my opinion to play more than 30 minutes.. would like a 3rd big who's a veteran in the league that is also good defensively and can play back to the basket legitimately.

If Gasol is not available then I'd want to try to see if Okafor would be.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
        Would you be willing to do this trade - Scola and Beasley for DD?
        No...I wouldn't trade a cancerous tumor for Beasley. Ok, obviously exaggerating, but yeah, Beasley is like the worst player in the world.

Honestly, considering some simple facts:
        -PHX is very very bad. They are clearly tanking for next year. If they don't, they're stupid.
        -Scola does not want to play for a bad team, and didn't really have a choice because he was claimed off amnesty
        -Bargnani for Scola + filler (even Beasley) is a much more logical deal, IMO. It keeps PHX bad enough to tank, frees up some roster space and possibly cap space as well.

Possible configuration, assuming they're trying to suck:
        Bargnani + Lucas (option picked up and traded) for Luis Scola + Channing Frye (or Beasley, hopefully Frye)
        -possibly send them a 2nd rd pick as well...no 1st rders in this trade of vets and scrubs.
        -I feel like they may want Lucas, with a young PG on their team in Marshall, and no experienced backup behind Dragic
        -sidenote: other likely assets they could trade are one of the Morris' and Shannon Brown. I'd take that instead of Frye/Beasly, but I think they'll save them for a deal that could bring back a better player than Bargs.
        -I don't think they care about Frye now, post health issues. Add that Scola can't be happy in that situation, and Bargs needs a change of scenery, and Bargs makes sense for them if he's replacing those 2. They'd still have the Morris' at PF, and Gortat at C.
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Apr 17, 2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

No...I wouldn't trade a cancerous tumor for Beasley. Ok, obviously exaggerating, but yeah, Beasley is like the worst player in the world.
          It would be pretty funny to pair up Beasley with Bargnani though. Two players with tonnes of potential that just don't give a sh!t.

Comment

I thought that was Austin Rivers. I used to think AR was a great NBA prospect, but his rookie year has me thinking otherwise.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              I thought that was Austin Rivers. I used to think AR was a great NBA prospect, but his rookie year has me thinking otherwise.
              His numbers are not all that different than what Ross has put up, He had a solid month Of February and a good start to March before he got hurt, I would not write him off just yet.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                I love Amir.. and I think he can and should start, but the team needs another legitimate big. Gray/Acy are just not talented enough in my opinion to play more than 30 minutes.. would like a 3rd big who's a veteran in the league that is also good defensively and can play back to the basket legitimately.

If Gasol is not available then I'd want to try to see if Okafor would be.
                I agree that the 3rd big spot need an upgrade, a solid vet that can spot start when needed and provide solid leadership with a second unit.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                  I can't even explain how happy I am they didn't draft Rivers. I was so low on him in the draft. Usually, a tweener guard excels at something (beyond just shooting) in order to merit a lottery pick...as in they display incredible speed/control, or a legitimate set of PG skills, or capable of defending either position in the backcourt....Rivers is the opposite of all these things. He isn't very fast or quick with the ball, he isn't a great creator and passer, and I'm not sure he could defend me out there...

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    It would be pretty funny to pair up Beasley with Bargnani though. Two players with tonnes of potential that just don't give a sh!t.
                    I agree...it would be hilarious. If it happens, hopefully in PHX, it would also work out so well with a tanking strategy, which seems by far like the best plan for them going into next year.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                      So there is no development with a relatively young group of players, and getting an upgrade at a key spot or two off the bench means nothing? Also, how many games did Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Johnson and Val start together this year? The chemistry is building and the team is coming together. The starting five is not the whole roster, but I would be happy with that group to start with.
                      It's not that I don't think we'll gain some development of young players, it's that I don't believe in the past 3-4 wins we've had against teams that pretty much laid down and gave in. It depends a lot on the schedule, but to me this is a 30-win team that was handed a few freebies towards the end. I think winning 35 next year would be pretty good if the only thing we gain on our roster is experience and youth development.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                        His numbers are not all that different than what Ross has put up, He had a solid month Of February and a good start to March before he got hurt, I would not write him off just yet.
                        in other words, just like ross, AR has also been just as abysmal and have no real impact on the game at all.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                          I still think the Raps need a PF who has a legit post-up game. If you look at the best teams in the league, there are three constants. A PG who can penetrate and pass, a wing who can penetrate and shoot threes, and a big who can post-up and defend the paint.(well, except Miami, but theyre not a normal team) As much as i like Amir and as good as he is, he really doesnt attract defenders to clear the way for DD or Gay.
                          If the post scoring comes from JV, it won't matter as much. But JV has a ways to go before he refines his post game so here's to hoping that they can bring in Sabonis, Hakeem, Kareem etc. to work with him this summer. It would at the very least speed up his development.

Comment

While JV is not a finished product, his post game is any thing but raw.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X