Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the hockey lockout be good news for the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebrian wrote: View Post
    Actually I think if anything, the NHL lockout benefits the Toronto Marlies more than the Toronto Raptors. I think the real hardcore hockey fans are just hockey fans. And the real hardcore basketball fans are basketball fans.

It's also tough to gauge because generally speaking people who take the time to peruse forums are usually hardcore sports fans in general. People here (not all of you) likely follow several sports at once. Another thing is that people in forums tend to be highly opinionated and have particular tastes for sports. I for one am a huge NFL fan but have absolutely no interest in CFL. Nor baseball for that matter. If the NFL had been locked out the chances of me tuning into a Blue Jays or Argos game would still remain at 0%.
    You kind of destroyed your argument "... I think if anything, the NHL lockout benefits the Toronto Marlies more than the Toronto Raptors" by saying "If the NFL had been locked out the chances of me tuning into a ...Argos game would still remain at 0%."

I can see not turning to baseball, since the pace of baseball and football are completely different. However both hockey and basketball are fast paced games, five guys on the floor at a time, individual stars can make a significant impact on the game etc.

I mean, I don't know. When the NBA lock down was in effect, I didn't turn to hockey, but I am not a big TV sports guy anyway. It just meant time I would have spent on Raptors gazing I could put to effective use someplace else.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      You kind of destroyed your argument "... I think if anything, the NHL lockout benefits the Toronto Marlies more than the Toronto Raptors" by saying "If the NFL had been locked out the chances of me tuning into a ...Argos game would still remain at 0%."

I can see not turning to baseball, since the pace of baseball and football are completely different. However both hockey and basketball are fast paced games, five guys on the floor at a time, individual stars can make a significant impact on the game etc.

I mean, I don't know. When the NBA lock down was in effect, I didn't turn to hockey, but I am not a big TV sports guy anyway. It just meant time I would have spent on Raptors gazing I could put to effective use someplace else.
      How is that destroying my argument? The Marlies and Leafs play the same sport. Often at the same caliber.

Baseball isn't a sport, and comparing the NFL to CFL is like saying that flying an airplane is the same as me flapping my arms and running around in a circle.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

How is that destroying my argument? The Marlies and Leafs play the same sport. Often at the same caliber.

Baseball isn't a sport, and comparing the NFL to CFL is like saying that flying an airplane is the same as me flapping my arms and running around in a circle.
        I suppose one can make the same comparison in the drop-off of quality between NHL to AHL, and NFL to CFL.

Comment

I prefer a good NCAA hoops match up, say Indiana/Kentucky or Gonzaga/St Marys to any NBA regular season or playoff game. The games have an intensity pro basketball can't touch.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
            I prefer a good NCAA hoops match up, say Indiana/Kentucky or Gonzaga/St Marys to any NBA regular season or playoff game. The games have an intensity pro basketball can't touch.
            I agree. College sports are pretty awesome.

The problem for me of comparing NFL to CFL is that the CFL doesn't play the same sport as the NFL. They're both football, but the roles are completely different. It isn't fair for me to belittle the CFL either. Taking sarcasm aside I do know some decent human beings who prefer CFL. It's just one game is different than the other.

At least AHL plays the same sport as the NHL. I have a couple of co-workers who are big hockey fans and have zero interest in basketball. If the NHL remains locked out, there's absolutely no question they'll start following the Marlies. There is no way they will turn to a different sport.

It's the casual fans who watch several sport for entertainment that might switch over to basketball more. But they have to be watching basketball already in the first place. I don't think you're going to be able to turn a hockey fan into a basketball fan.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

... I don't think you're going to be able to turn a hockey fan into a basketball fan.
              Well, we've already had one poster in this thread talk about that happening to him. That's about one out of sixteen, or better than a 6% conversion rate. If the puckheads in the GTA converted at a %6 rate, every Raps game would be sold out.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                Well, we've already had one poster in this thread talk about that happening to him. That's about one out of sixteen, or better than a 6% conversion rate. If the puckheads in the GTA converted at a %6 rate, every Raps game would be sold out.
                Read what I wrote again.

That one poster in this thread was already watching basketball when the NHL lockout happened and that turned him to watching MORE basketball. Very different.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Actually I became a much bigger fan (ie closely following the team) after the last hockey lockout. I watched more basketball and then continued when the lockout was over.

But the reason i don't watch hockey anymore is because of that lockout, just like I don't follow baseball any more after the Expos got screwed. Do I care that hockey is locked out AGAIN, not in the least!

Comment

Working...
                  X