No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “You’re looking for guys who can come in and impact the game without needing the ball or without really needing a big role on the team,” Tolzman said. “And it’s guys like that where they kind of carve out a niche as a defensive-minded guy and then they improve all the other things and they become so much more well-rounded. And I think K.J.’s the same way. He can get on the floor because of his defence and, from there, who knows? The sky can be the limit with him because he does have all the athletic tools and ability on that side.”

“When he first started he was pretty much just a high-wire, interior type guy,” Tolzman said. “This last year, he was all over the floor, did all different types of things offensively. I don’t know if he’s comfortable enough yet to come in and shoot the NBA three, but that’s definitely the type of thing where, as he gets more comfortable stretching his range out, he’ll absolutely be that type of guy.”

http://www.nba.com/raptors/thursday-...-workout-recap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• i think mcdaniels will become the next generation tony allen. Undersized guy who plays alot bigger. Thats not bad to get, allen guarded kd pretty well during their series
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        The Lakers are in a funny situation. I mean, does anyone really believe they can build any kind of winner around Kobe in the next couple of years? They have no good pieces on their roster. The smart move would be to keep the pick and start building for the post-Kobe era. But they may be too stubborn for that.
        Yeah, I agree. I think they believe they have the same sort of foundation as the Spurs, which is the furthest thing from the truth. They are screwd with nobody around Kobe to continue to make title pushes year after year, but it's the Lakers, and as long as there are free agents they have the bank roll. They should keep this pick, but my gut says they will deal it to make a title push now.

Comment

• Daniels is too short to be a SF. His standing reach is in the SG range and he won't be able to contest people who decide to shoot over him.

I think Stauskas becomes the best player in this draft not named Wiggins, Embiid or Exum. I would do a lot to move up to grab him.

I think I've narrowed down the list of players I would draft to these guys.

PG: Ennis/Payton
          SG: Stauskas
          SF: Hood, GR3
          PF:
          C: Bachynski

Comment

• Thanasis blocks McDaniels Twice at 2:21:21 and once at 2:25:47.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              Daniels is too short to be a SF. His standing reach is in the SG range and he won't be able to contest people who decide to shoot over him.

I think Stauskas becomes the best player in this draft not named Wiggins, Embiid or Exum. I would do a lot to move up to grab him.

PF:
              Stauskas is definitely not going to be the best player in the draft after those guys. Old for a rookie, average athleticism, average measurables for a shooting guard. Below average first step, not fast at all. Not strong and also has mediocre lateral quickness so will probably be an average defender at best.

Nothing indicates he'll be a scorer in the NBA. Probably a nice shooter and that's about it.

Really not a fan of any of the guys on your list except for maybe Ennis.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                Stauskas is definitely not going to be the best player in the draft after those guys. Old for a rookie, average athleticism, average measurables for a shooting guard. Below average first step, not fast at all. Not strong and also has mediocre lateral quickness so will probably be an average defender at best.

Nothing indicates he'll be a scorer in the NBA. Probably a nice shooter and that's about it.

Stauskas actually showed he was a pretty good athlete at the combine, and he knows how to dribble.

He's got all the skills to be a Steph Curry lite.

Which players do you like?
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Only time will tell who is right on this one. I just think his strengths are immediately transferable to an NBA offense (shooting, PnR and dho).

I think nearly everyone on the board would love to have Ennis. He seems like one of the bigger impact guys in the draft, and I think he is in the same tier as Stauskas just below Wiggins/Embiid/Exum

Comment

Daniels is too short to be a SF. His standing reach is in the SG range and he won't be able to contest people who decide to shoot over him.

PF:
                    I think you mean McDaniels and NOT Daniels. Deandre Daniels is plenty tall/big enough to play SF in the NBA. He played SF and PF for UCONN this past season...

Other than that, I have to respect imam's opinion. I would add Payton to my list, but I had a few chances to watch Payton play last year on tv, unlike most of us. He's the real deal. Also, I think Stauskas is deceptively athletic, but not even close to the options the Raptors already have. Hood is very one dimensional. GR3 allowed Stauskas, in a free-flowing offence to significantly outshine him. Bachynski is just a guy. I think he's NBA caliber, but we're talking end of bench here -- not a starter.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                      Stauskas actually showed he was a pretty good athlete at the combine, and he knows how to dribble.

He's got all the skills to be a Steph Curry lite.

Which players do you like?
                      In terms of potential, my favorite player that might fall to our range is LaVine, but that's extremely unlikely. I like Ennis a lot. Not many of the other prospects are really endearing to me and don't appear to have more than role player potential. Porzingis is interesting as well as a draft and stash guy.

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      Only time will tell who is right on this one. I just think his strengths are immediately transferable to an NBA offense (shooting, PnR and dho).

I think nearly everyone on the board would love to have Ennis. He seems like one of the bigger impact guys in the draft, and I think he is in the same tier as Stauskas just below Wiggins/Embiid/Exum
                      Not gonna argue that his strengths don't translate, but he isn't the 4th best player in this draft. His strengths translate in terms of him being a high level role player not a star.

Ennis/Stauskas are tier 3 or maybe even tier 4 prospects. For me Tier 1 is the 3 you mentioned and tier 2 includes guys like Jabari, Vonleh, Smart and Randle.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        I think you mean McDaniels and NOT Daniels. Deandre Daniels is plenty tall/big enough to play SF in the NBA. He played SF and PF for UCONN this past season...

Other than that, I have to respect imam's opinion. I would add Payton to my list, but I had a few chances to watch Payton play last year on tv, unlike most of us. He's the real deal. Also, I think Stauskas is deceptively athletic, but not even close to the options the Raptors already have. Hood is very one dimensional. GR3 allowed Stauskas, in a free-flowing offence to significantly outshine him. Bachynski is just a guy. I think he's NBA caliber, but we're talking end of bench here -- not a starter.
                        Yes I do, nice catch. McDaniels not DeAndre

Why do you think Hood is very one dimensional? He is a very good shooter and playmaker out of the PnR, can handle and run the offense from the SF position. I thought he out played Parker at Duke.

GR3 and Nik comparison is poor because they have completely different skills and roles in the team. GR3 is not going to be an elite shooter or a good ball handler/playmaker/PnR/DHO guy like Stauskas. He is going to be a cutter and spot up shooter who focuses on defense.

Bachynski is a late second round pick, who if he turns into a solid end of bench guy I would be super happy. Not everyone is going to be a superstar, especially at those really late picks.

Comment

Not gonna argue that his strengths don't translate, but he isn't the 4th best player in this draft. His strengths translate in terms of him being a high level role player not a star.

Ennis/Stauskas are tier 3 or maybe even tier 4 prospects. For me Tier 1 is the 3 you mentioned and tier 2 includes guys like Jabari, Vonleh, Smart and Randle.
                          I think Stauskas is a tier 2 guy, same with Ennis.

I am not sold on Parker but can't take him out of the second tier because he is uber talented. Smart is a tough one, but I think he is more of a Patrick Beverly, and that is his limits. He will need people around him who are better for him to win, he is a defensive role player.

Comment

• I know this is a bit early but I watched a lot of Michigan last season and outside of Nik and GR3, the guy who impressed me the most was Chris LaVert. I think he is going to be a very good pro, too bad he is going back to school

Comment

Yes I do, nice catch. McDaniels not DeAndre

Why do you think Hood is very one dimensional? He is a very good shooter and playmaker out of the PnR, can handle and run the offense from the SF position. I thought he out played Parker at Duke.

GR3 and Nik comparison is poor because they have completely different skills and roles in the team. GR3 is not going to be an elite shooter or a good ball handler/playmaker/PnR/DHO guy like Stauskas. He is going to be a cutter and spot up shooter who focuses on defense.

Bachynski is a late second round pick, who if he turns into a solid end of bench guy I would be super happy. Not everyone is going to be a superstar, especially at those really late picks.
                              Rodney Hood IS one dimensional. He's a great shooter and that's about it. The only reason he really did any damage off the dribble in college is because he went up against 4s a lot. Good luck doing that against proper NBA-level wing defenders. Not that athletic, short wingspan and not a good defender at all. Doesn't rebound the ball well either.

Comment

I think Stauskas is a tier 2 guy, same with Ennis.

I am not sold on Parker but can't take him out of the second tier because he is uber talented. Smart is a tough one, but I think he is more of a Patrick Beverly, and that is his limits. He will need people around him who are better for him to win, he is a defensive role player.
                                No shit he will... the only players that don't need better players around them to win are superstars. The same can be said for Stauskas and company.

Parker, Smart, Randle and Vonleh are all a tier above Stauskas as prospects. Those are guys who have legitimate all-star potential, while Stauskas is really not in that category.

Comment

Working...
                                X