Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All-Star Reserves - Congratulations DeMar DeRozan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I will fully admit that there is one area that DeRozan has shown improvement in this season, in terms of both production and consistency - peripheral stats. DeRozan is helping on the glass and doing a better job of finding open teammates in DC's revamped team-oriented offensive system. His rebounds are +1.0 over his career average and assists are +1.6.

However, of the 5 key criticisms I've made against him since the offseason, that's really the only one he's shown sustained improvement it.
    1. one-dimensional scorer
    2. inefficient scorer & poor shot selection
    3. poor 3pt shooter
    4. average (at best) defender
    5. not a legit SF (preferring SG to be a '3&D' type player - aka Ross)

Pointing out that the other areas of criticism are still valid (#2-#5), is not "hate". He's a good young player with key areas of his game that still have significant room for improvement. Yes, he's an all-star. Yes, he's not perfect. No, that's not being a "hater".

Seriously, the world is not so black & white, and there's nothing wrong with pushing one of the team's best players to continue getting better.

Finally, if all the middling EC teams that are hovering around the .500 level deserved a single all-star representative, Lowry is far more deserving that DeRozan IMO. Personally, I think they both should have been named reserves!
    Say what you want, but he's an all-star now. Your opinions are just that. No doubt, Lowry deserves to be an all star too. BUT to say that he deserved it more than Derozan is rubbish IMO. I think if Lowry deserved to be an all-star over anyone its Joe Johnson.
    Last edited by special1; Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
      This is a dumb post man.

All-stars also have flaws, hell CB4 is a perennial all star, and we can confidently say he can't win a championship as a number one option, or even lead a contending team.
      Not sure you understand that these discussions are going way back (since last year). However, since you may be new here.....I agree that EVERY player has flaws. I just think its fair that some of the posters who talked the most shit, get called out for it.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
        This is a dumb post man.

All-stars also have flaws, hell CB4 is a perennial all star, and we can confidently say he can't win a championship as a number one option, or even lead a contending team.
        Did he win a round without his compadres in Miami?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Agreed.

It is terribly junior highish.

When I've coached junior high teams or hosted a tournament you ask a coach for player of the game and they immediately go to the score sheet and count points.

Points are very important - don't get me wrong. But it is not the be all and end all for evaluating impact on a game and importance to a team.
          I have a real problem with the argument that the coaches simply relied on points per game. Here are the coaches in the East:
          Vogel
          Spoelstra
          Budenholzer (served under Pop)
          Stevens (speaker at 2014 Sloan Sports conference)
          Thibodeau
          Adelman
          Clifford (mentored by Van Gundys)
          Cheeks
          Mike Brown
          Drew
          Woodson
          Wittman
          Brett Brown (served under Pop)
          Kidd

There are a few duds in there but there are a lot of fine basketball minds. Furthermore, advanced stats are all the rage at the professional level, which is why attendance jumped 25% at the Sloan Sports conference and most of the NBA attended.

Are people really suggesting that this group of basketball minds is so stupid that they only look at PPG? Or could it be that they realize a player impacts the game in different ways? That there is a cost to be the center of attention of opposing teams' defenses?

Joe Johnson hasn't been scoring a ton, but he's been clutch as hell. I don't think he should have made it, but his selection clearly shows that PPG isn't the only thing being considered here. Afflalo, Walker, Jennings... These guys are all scorers too.

In short, there may be a thousand intertwined reasons why one guy made it over another. Reducing it to the coaches are idiots is pretty silly.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
            There are a few duds in there but there are a lot of fine basketball minds. Furthermore, advanced stats are all the rage at the professional level, which is why attendance jumped 25% at the Sloan Sports conference and most of the NBA attended.

Are people really suggesting that this group of basketball minds is so stupid that they only look at PPG? Or could it be that they realize a player impacts the game in different ways? That there is a cost to be the center of attention of opposing teams' defenses?

Joe Johnson hasn't been scoring a ton, but he's been clutch as hell. I don't think he should have made it, but his selection clearly shows that PPG isn't the only thing being considered here. Afflalo, Walker, Jennings... These guys are all scorers too.

In short, there may be a thousand intertwined reasons why one guy made it over another. Reducing it to the coaches are idiots is pretty silly.
            I don't think they're necessarily stupid so much as don't really care. If they've entered JJ names a few times before, they see him as they glance over the sheet and throw him on there. But, eh, I could be wrong
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
              Not sure you understand that these discussions are going way back (since last year). However, since you may be new here.....I agree that EVERY player has flaws. I just think its fair that some of the posters who talked the most shit, get called out for it.
              I now remember why they call you special....

There was never any "shit talking" going on. It was simply critiquing different aspects of the team (i.e. what goes on daily on every team's msg boards).

You taking this much offence to anything negative towards DeRozan, and feeling the need to "call out" people, just makes you sound desperate....and somewhat creepy.

Comment

Say what you want, but he's an all-star now. Your opinions are just that. No doubt, Lowry deserves to be an all star too. BUT to say that he deserved it more than Derozan is rubbish IMO. I think if Lowry deserved to be an all-star over anyone its Joe Johnson.
                Lowry has arguably been the best backcourt player in the East. He has more win shares than any other guard in the league trailing only Lebron, Durant, George and Love. Throw in the fact that his PER is 2nd among guards only trailing Wade who has missed significant time and Lowry should be a no brainer, even over DeMar. He's the leader of the team(If you watch open gym he gives a speech almost after every game) and it's best player and he was the one who deserves to go but due to politics it was DeMar.
                Regardless I'm happy a raptor made it and DeMar is having a great year. Its a shame coaches can't be unbiased however.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  I now remember why they call you special....

There was never any "shit talking" going on. It was simply critiquing different aspects of the team (i.e. what goes on daily on every team's msg boards).

You taking this much offence to anything negative towards DeRozan, and feeling the need to "call out" people, just makes you sound desperate....and somewhat creepy.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    However, of the 5 key criticisms I've made against him since the offseason, that's really the only one he's shown sustained improvement it.
                    1. one-dimensional scorer
                    2. inefficient scorer & poor shot selection
                    3. poor 3pt shooter
                    4. average (at best) defender
                    5. not a legit SF (preferring SG to be a '3&D' type player - aka Ross)
                    Bold: Steve Novak is a one dimensional scorer! Demar, obviously, is not...

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                      Bold: Steve Novak is a one dimensional scorer! Demar, obviously, is not...
                      Agreed. That was the critique I was giving him full credit for addressing this season, by improving both his rebounding and assist numbers.

Comment

Aren't you taking this all too personally? Many players have detractors or supporters of not just their play but personalities as well. It is almost always an opinion. You seem to be taking it much beyond.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          @Scraptor

DeMar hasn't improved defensively. He's gambling more, but nothing else has changed. ( sometimes you can tell that he's playing defense without effort. driving me crazy. )

DeRozan is our 2nd liability after JV.
                          I disagree.

Demar's Synergy stats (which reflect man defense better, which is important for wings) have improved considerably.

He is ranked 34th overall in PPP on defense.
                          Isolation? 1st overall.
                          P&R ball handler, 17th
                          Spot up, 46th
                          Off screen 55th.

The one I want to focus in on is spot up. This has traditionally been Demar's Achilles heel in Synergy stats. According to raptorshq, which is the only reference I could find, Demar ranked 273rd last season in spot up situations. To move up to 46th is a massive improvement.

Because of his lack of lateral quicks he often gave too much of a cushion to shooters. He also tended to lose his man on screens. We see much less of that lately. We see him contesting shots with vigor, we see him recovering better as well.

If you don't see improvement, then it's because you choose not to see. And that is all the defending I'm going to do in a thread which should celebrate improvements like this instead of picking at every tiny fault.

PS. To show you how far he's come, here are some comparisons from Demar in March 2011:
                          Overall 336th
                          Iso 185th
                          P&R ball handler 185th
                          Spot up 184th
                          Off screen 78th

Comment

I disagree.

Demar's Synergy stats (which reflect man defense better, which is important for wings) have improved considerably.

Isolation? 1st overall.
                            P&R ball handler, 17th
                            Spot up, 46th
                            Off screen 55th.

The one I want to focus in on is spot up. This has traditionally been Demar's Achilles heel in Synergy stats. According to raptorshq, which is the only reference I could find, Demar ranked 273rd last season in spot up situations. To move up to 46th is a massive improvement.

Because of his lack of lateral quicks he often gave too much of a cushion to shooters. He also tended to lose his man on screens. We see much less of that lately. We see him contesting shots with vigor, we see him recovering better as well.

If you don't see improvement, then it's because you choose not to see. And that is all the defending I'm going to do in a thread which should celebrate improvements like this instead of picking at every tiny fault.

PS. To show you how far he's come, here are some comparisons from Demar in March 2011:
                            Overall 336th
                            Iso 185th
                            P&R ball handler 185th
                            Spot up 184th
                            Off screen 78th
                            Also note that DD is no longer guarding the opposing team's best player. This may account for some of his statistical improvement. But yes he has definitely improved defensively.

Comment

I disagree.

Isolation? 1st overall.
                              P&R ball handler, 17th
                              Spot up, 46th
                              Off screen 55th.

Overall 336th
                              Iso 185th
                              P&R ball handler 185th
                              Spot up 184th
                              Off screen 78th
                              Great post, I love to see this synergy stuff used.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I disagree.

Isolation? 1st overall.
                                P&R ball handler, 17th
                                Spot up, 46th
                                Off screen 55th.

Overall 336th
                                Iso 185th
                                P&R ball handler 185th
                                Spot up 184th
                                Off screen 78th
                                You could also use the comparison of production rating of DeMar's to opposition and the net rating, and DeMar has nearly as much/more net rating to guys like Afflalo, Ellis, Harden, etc.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X