OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

The Toronto Raptors, in a deal designed to create some additional salary-cap space, have agreed to traded forward James Johnson to the Sacramento Kings for a future second-round pick, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

The trade could be consummated as soon as Monday, sources said./p

Johnson is scheduled to earn $2.8 million in 2012-13, which is the final year of his current contract./p

The Raptors, meanwhile, continue to search for a workable trade to find a new home for veteran point guard Jose Calderon. ESPN.com reported BLANKday that the Raptors and Calderon's representatives were working on a trade together in the wake of Toronto's recent acquisition of Kyle Lowry to be the starter./p

The Raptors have let it be known that they prefer not to release Calderon through the NBA's amnesty clause, which is only an option through Tuesday until next summer's one-week amnesty window in July 2013./p

“We have had a few more trade inquiries regarding Jose (but) the scenario doesn’t seem to present itself to a trade today," Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo told the Toronto Sun at summer league in Las Vegas. "But we’ll continue to monitor that and just try to determine whether it’s going to work in the long run./p

As for making use of the amnesty clause before Tuesday night's deadline, Colangelo told the Sun that he doesn’t “anticipate doing something with amnesty, but until the deadline passes, you never want to close that door.”/p

Johnson averaged 9.1 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.1 steals and 1.4 blocks per game last season but is no longer in Toronto's plans after the recent arrival of Landry Fields and Linas Kleiza's return to health.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...hnson-to-kings

Well things just got interesting...

Really bad trade, I honestly think that there's a 5% chance we get a player of the same value as JJ in the second round.. our best wing defender, who's by no means a good/great/untradeable player, for a second round pick? Hmm... More minutes for Fields, DeRozan and Ross.

Comment

I agree. I don't like the trade. Almost none of our 2nd rounders even get a chance to play too...

Comment

wow didnt see that coming....well i think JJ was on his way out this off season since that incident with casey during the season. I definitly agree that this is a bad trade..but then again i dont expect a lot of value coming back for just JJ. I think BC was more concerned on getting him out than getting something back..and he prob wanted to clear cap and minutes since we got feilds. Not a fan of the move but not fully against it.

we dont know if its straight up JJ for a second rounder i think there might be more details

Lowry/Calderon
        Derozan/Ross
        Fields/Klezia
        Bargs/Davis/Acy
        Jval/Amir/Gray

Thats a very deep team...and i think with a team of no superstars we can become the denver nuggets of the east.
        Last edited by geo; Mon Jul 16, 2012, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Does anyone think BC intentionally goes out to find anything less than the best deal in a trade?

Could there be a possibility JJ is valued more here than by the other 29 Gm's in the league and Colangelo?

I don't.

I think this speaks to his value around the league and the return is what it is.

The only way I don't see this being the case is if BC wanted no salary back to facilitate a larger move coming.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Does anyone think BC intentionally goes out to find anything less than the best deal in a trade?

Could there be a possibility JJ is valued more here than by the other 29 Gm's in the league and Colangelo?

I don't.

I think this speaks to his value around the league and the return is what it is.

The only way I don't see this being the case is if BC wanted no salary back to facilitate a larger move coming.

Larger move coming would make sense to me

Comment

Remote possibility, though I would love it if it were true: maybe it was to clear a little bit of headroom to put in a bid on Josh Childress, who just got amnestied. He would be a fantastic pickup for $2-3 million per year.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                Remote possibility, though I would love it if it were true: maybe it was to clear a little bit of headroom to put in a bid on Josh Childress, who just got amnestied. He would be a fantastic pickup for $2-3 million per year.
                The 2007 version, absolutely.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                  Larger move coming would make sense to me
                  What would be the point of getting rid of a valuable SF option if this is not designed to make room for a bigger move ? Even if he had some challenging moments with DC, JJ is no locker room or cap space cancer.

Moving him HAS to be the first of many bigger dominos.

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
                    What would be the point of getting rid of a valuable SF option if this is not designed to make room for a bigger move ? Even if he had some challenging moments with DC, JJ is no locker room or cap space cancer.

Moving him HAS to be the first of many bigger dominos.
                    Honestly, I question his value.

And I was very happy about his acquisition but potential does not always work or play out.

Comment

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_SI

Raps internally viewed James Johnson as more a small-ball power forward than a true SF. Sacto big rotation is crowded...

Comment

JJ is really a bench-quality player, and won't ever go beyond that.
                        Whilst we could (should) have tried for more, the move is mainly about cap clearing, so can't be too picky. I hope well for him though, he showed some great d ths year.

Comment

Dahntay Jones ($2.9) and James Johnson ($2.8) have near identical salaries..... hmmmmmmm.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Honestly, I question his value.

And I was very happy about his acquisition but potential does not always work or play out.
                            I know that kind of maths are a bit too simple to throw in the discussion, but 9.1 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.1 steals and 1.4 blocks per game for $2.8M is quite valuable. Of course, you'd have to take what these minutes could be used for if given to someone else, and there are some non-measurable parameters, but I think "valuable" is an ok definition of what JJ is. Not awesome, but not useless.

We discussed his value for months and months to compare it to the late 1st rounder we gave away to get him. And the conclusion was that having him on the team was better than having this pick. And now we would be saying that a 2nd rounder is more valuable than JJ ?

Don't get me wrong : i'm fine with this deal cause with Fields in, he's the one who has to go (Kleiza will be a huge help for Jonas acclimatation, I don't want him anywhere else than in TO). It's just not a deal BC needed to do (after all, we have 3 PF and we drafted a 4th one) so if he did it, it has to be for a bigger reason.

Comment

Why give away James Johnson ?!! WHY !

Sad times. I really like him as a help side defender & I thought of him more as a power forward as well. I don't get what you make out of a future second rounder.

For all the hype BC got from the Lowry trade, his past 2 moves really irks me.
                              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                              X