X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#BringBackChuck

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
      I have heard him say that once or twice, I admit. At the same time, there have been a lot more criticisms and flip flops that he never acknowledges.

Now I am not asking him to be super human, and know everything, I just want him to not be so opportunistic about the success and failure on the floor. I also feel the 2nd guessing of Casey by Jack is the worst I have ever seen him 2nd guess a coach. Triano was fielding stink bombs and I never heard him get on his "old boy".
      Yeah, I do think Jack is harder on Casey...Honestly I think it's because he thinks that a) the team could be playing better, and b) Casey is a good enough coach to get them to....Triano was in over his head from day one, and the roster/expectations were bad too. I don't remember how he was with our older coaches. I feel like he wasn't the biggest Lenny Wilkens fan...but you know, Lenny's coaching style was to not coach, so that's understandable.
      *I really think talent, including that of the coach, makes more opportunities to be critical, and also leads to inevitable flip flopping because he's going to be wrong. I mean, what was he gonna bash on Triano for....?? not getting more run for POB? not utilizing the defensive "talent" of the team?
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I don't particularily like either Jack or Leo. Of the two, Jack is more of a muppet for entertainment while Leo is more of a shtik-guy that wears thin. I don't find either very insightful or on top of things but if forced to choose I'd keep Leo.

I'd like someone new for next year, or even the odd guest commentator. Charles Oakley would be good for a laugh.

Mugsey Bogues still does stuff with the team (he was with them when they came to Halifax for training camp this year) and he is the type of personable intelligent guy that makes a broadcast work. Him or Doug Christie would be the former Raps that I'd probably bill for first.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          I don't particularily like either Jack or Leo. Of the two, Jack is more of a muppet for entertainment while Leo is more of a shtik-guy that wears thin. I don't find either very insightful or on top of things but if forced to choose I'd keep Leo.

I'd like someone new for next year, or even the odd guest commentator. Charles Oakley would be good for a laugh.

Mugsey Bogues still does stuff with the team (he was with them when they came to Halifax for training camp this year) and he is the type of personable intelligent guy that makes a broadcast work. Him or Doug Christie would be the former Raps that I'd probably bill for first.
          I would love to see Oak around on TV sometimes. Dont' know if he would want to do TV. I do know he's been a little interested in coaching for awhile now...But I think any chance of that happening disappeared when they hired Magloire.

I don't much like Christie. Always seemd like kind of a prima donna type to me. My favorite thing about him will always be when he left and was in Sacto, and they played the Lakers. He and Horry got into and ejected...then Horry chased him down going all the way around to the other tunnel, and tried to jump him , and Christie just started beating the crap out of him...I hate Robert Horry

Comment

Love Jack, cant stand Leo. Only thing that bothers me about Jack sometimes is that he gets on the refs too much. Other than that I think he does a great job. I think there may have been a little exaggeration here but I could be wrong. In the second quarter when the raps 2nd unit gave up a 10 pt lead in like 2 seconds he said something like: (paraphrasing) this may be one of those games where you have to consider giving your starters a lot more mins. I mean, that's exactly what I was thinking at the time and id be shocked if people didn't agree with him. I think he even said that you cant play your starters the whole game and said that at some point in the second half you're gonna have to give the 2nd unit a chance and just keep them on a shorter leash, which makes total sense.. if they aren't in the game, then yank them. When lucas went on a tear im sure jack was fine with leaving him in there, just like the rest of us who were bashing lucas the whole game and then shut up when he caught fire. also I remember those 2 shots ur talking about where he commented on Andrea and in the circumstances I completely agreed with Jack there also. I disagree that it was the exact same look.
            Last edited by Machine; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I love that he gets on the refs, to me its his saving quality.

I am of the opinion that if the refs do not respect you, you should not respect the refs. So, they are all seeing their bookies as far as I am concerned.

Comment

I love that he gets on the refs, to me its his saving quality.

I am of the opinion that if the refs do not respect you, you should not respect the refs. So, they are all seeing their bookies as far as I am concerned.
                I agree in a sense.. I mean I like when its obvious the refs made a mistake and he basically expresses exactly how I feel lol.. but what I don't like is that he does it way too often, even when the refs are right.

Comment

as much as jack is a flip-flopper, in a sense thats his job. he's supposed to provide analysis on the game. obviously he's not very good at it, but he's very entertaining and his voice (the biggest part of his job) is always very expressive and tells a story. thats why i love the games where he is commentating. I read once on the score that sports writing is like playing the lottery, you have to take a risk, in jack's case, make a bold prediction. If you get it right, you can always point people back to your prediction and you will look like a damn genius. However, if you're wrong, no one tends to remember past the next day. that's what jack does, he makes bold predictions that keep us hooked. We're intently watching now, either to prove him wrong or to see if he's right. As he talks, he sounds like a fan, like you or me if we were up there.

Leo on the other hand is a monotonous robot who plays it safe and thinks he knows everything about basketball, when in reality, he couldnt coach to save his life. He always agrees with whatever the call was or the coaching decision and he never shows emotion. I don't want a guy who, during a replay review agrees with the call against Toronto. I want a guy like Jack, who, however stubbornly, says the ball didnt go out, says the ref didnt call a foul, says the ball came out of Amir's hand in time.

I already feel like the rest of the league is against us, and with Leo, I feel like even our own broadcast team is. With Jack, I feel like we the fans have a voice, someone who genuinely celebrates a Raptors win and will feel just as bad as I do when the Raptors lose.

#salamiandcheese
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I can't complain about our commentators after listening to two seconds of the clippers crew..

Comment

I think it's just a matter of the fans (myself included) being frustrated with all the losing we've witnessed over the years. It probably wouldn't matter who the commentators are (or what they're saying) if our favourite team is constantly on the losing end of the ledger.

We've been classically conditioned to hate Leo/Matt/Jack because their voices indirectly trigger painful memories of crappy Raptor teams. Just my two cents

That's why I love the 'NBA on NBC' theme song....the last time I heard it, Carter was dropping 50 in the playoffs.

Comment

no way. love jack. get that gaaaahbage outta here!

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                          #BringBackChuck
                          Everything has a hashtag for it eh? ;P ahahaha!

On topic, I don't mind Jack Armstrong, he can't possibly be any worse than the Blue Jays with "Buck Martinez". Now that is something to complain about. When a commentator has his own website about all the mistakes he makes during the game, something is severely wrong. (http://www.buckblunders.com/)
                          A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                            as much as jack is a flip-flopper, in a sense thats his job. he's supposed to provide analysis on the game. obviously he's not very good at it, but he's very entertaining and his voice (the biggest part of his job) is always very expressive and tells a story. thats why i love the games where he is commentating. I read once on the score that sports writing is like playing the lottery, you have to take a risk, in jack's case, make a bold prediction. If you get it right, you can always point people back to your prediction and you will look like a damn genius. However, if you're wrong, no one tends to remember past the next day. that's what jack does, he makes bold predictions that keep us hooked. We're intently watching now, either to prove him wrong or to see if he's right. As he talks, he sounds like a fan, like you or me if we were up there.

Leo on the other hand is a monotonous robot who plays it safe and thinks he knows everything about basketball, when in reality, he couldnt coach to save his life. He always agrees with whatever the call was or the coaching decision and he never shows emotion. I don't want a guy who, during a replay review agrees with the call against Toronto. I want a guy like Jack, who, however stubbornly, says the ball didnt go out, says the ref didnt call a foul, says the ball came out of Amir's hand in time.

I already feel like the rest of the league is against us, and with Leo, I feel like even our own broadcast team is. With Jack, I feel like we the fans have a voice, someone who genuinely celebrates a Raptors win and will feel just as bad as I do when the Raptors lose.

#salamiandcheese

Good post, and some great points. When Jack complains about the refs, I feel a bit vindicated, I admit. Looks like I dont hate him so much afterall, just a little bothered by the 2nd guessing of Casey. Granted Jacks 2nd guessing is a little better than the forums, but it all adds up for me and makes me gag. lol. I admit to being a Casey fan, so it probably bothers me more than others.
                            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Good post, and some great points. When Jack complains about the refs, I feel a bit vindicated, I admit. Looks like I dont hate him so much afterall, just a little bothered by the 2nd guessing of Casey. Granted Jacks 2nd guessing is a little better than the forums, but it all adds up for me and makes me gag. lol. I admit to being a Casey fan, so it probably bothers me more than others.
                              I was going to say, there's been quite a bit to question DC for throughout the season. Several losses were squarely on his in-game management, IMO. I'm not saying he's a bad coach or that he should be fired but, just like players (especially rookies), he is inconsistent and needs to improve upon his weaknesses if this team is serious about playoffs next season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I was going to say, there's been quite a bit to question DC for throughout the season. Several losses were squarely on his in-game management, IMO. I'm not saying he's a bad coach or that he should be fired but, just like players (especially rookies), he is inconsistent and needs to improve upon his weaknesses if this team is serious about playoffs next season.
                                I agree, I really like Casey and think he is capable of improving. I think he is great in certain areas of the job. But others not so much. I just hope he can improve as a head coach moving forward and notice his mistakes cause I would hate to see him get fired but if he doesn't improve then I hope we can keep him as an assistant coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X