Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

Hey guys, first time ever posting here yet long time viewer. I was wondering what the republics thoughts would be of the raptors trying to trade into this draft and pick up Mr. Olynyk. I mean yeah we have the obvious argument that he is Canadian but along with this comes the fact that he is seemingly a very mature individual, as well it's hard to argue with his season numbers of 17.7 points, seven rebounds and almost two assists a game. For a center that shoots 66.8 percent from the field and an a cool 37.5 percent from three he is intriguing. Put all that together with him showing he has the capacity to learn and improve his game I'd think he could be an imposing feature with Jonas. Coachability, talent an hard work, sounds like a fan favourite with more upside that we've seen in the past( ala Reggie Evans). Any way cheers and thanks to any others to add to the conversation.

Lukreaum wrote: View Post
    Hey guys, first time ever posting here yet long time viewer. I was wondering what the republics thoughts would be of the raptors trying to trade into this draft and pick up Mr. Olynyk. I mean yeah we have the obvious argument that he is Canadian but along with this comes the fact that he is seemingly a very mature individual, as well it's hard to argue with his season numbers of 17.7 points, seven rebounds and almost two assists a game. For a center that shoots 66.8 percent from the field and an a cool 37.5 percent from three he is intriguing. Put all that together with him showing he has the capacity to learn and improve his game I'd think he could be an imposing feature with Jonas. Coachability, talent an hard work, sounds like a fan favourite with more upside that we've seen in the past( ala Reggie Evans). Any way cheers and thanks to any others to add to the conversation.
    Welcome Lukreaum. Hopefully this isn't your last contribution :P

I haven't heard too much on Olynyk, but apparently he is a solid player, something of a Tristan Thompson mold. Just what I've heard. To be honest, since my Kentucky Wildcats haven't been up to par this year, I've taken a laid back approach to college ball.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I'm sure the Raptors would like to get him but getting a pick in the 14-20 spots this season isn't that simple.

Comment

I don't know...I've heard concerns about how he translates to the NBA. He is apparently not a very strong rebounder and a shitty help defender...these are things I never want to see again, especially in combo, in a Raptors big man. Obviously things are never certain wiht a young player, but if he struggles to do those things in college, can't bode well for the NBA.

Comment

Olynyk is a great college player. He has been so productive at posting up the typical slow footed college 6'9" center with great foot work and soft hands that has him with the highest player efficiency rating in the whole NCAA.

His skills may not translate so well to the NBA's with the bigger, more athletic bigs. He's a lot like Christian Laettner in my mind. I think he'll be a bench player. Kelly's soon going to be 22, about the same age as Tristan Thompson and a year older than JV.

I remember that a thinner, 19 year old KO dropped 14 points on Boris Diaw in an international game.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            I don't know...I've heard concerns about how he translates to the NBA. He is apparently not a very strong rebounder and a shitty help defender...these are things I never want to see again, especially in combo, in a Raptors big man. Obviously things are never certain wiht a young player, but if he struggles to do those things in college, can't bode well for the NBA.
            Gonzaga is excellent on defense this year. Olynyk has been solid in this area, good help defender at the college level with twice as many blocks as the power forward Elias Harris, also a strong defender.

Comment

I can see where that concern can come from but in college Kelly has only been playing 25.6 MPG and still averaging the 7 rebounds. His Per 40 min numbers get him at 10.9 RPG and he seems coachable, paired with a rebounding and blocking center like Jonas (along with this new blocks that end up in defending teams hands) I think he could be driven to improve in this area. Just my thoughts, always excited for Canada basketball and the raptors improving.

Comment

I think he'll find an NBA career as a floor-spacing big. With the way the NBA is going, that's a skillset that will always get you a look. It used to be a rarity, now it seems like every team wants one floor-spacing big, not necessarily in the starting lineup but at least off the bench. And he's made tremendous strides in the other elements of his game (post-up, rebounding, defense) since red-shirting for a year. These skills aren't at an NBA level yet, but they're miles ahead of where they were a couple years ago, and should continue to grow with the right coach. From what I've seen, rebounding in particular is solid. A below-average leaper, but positionally solid, keeps his man away from the hoop with his solid frame. And he's certainly not disinterested in these elements of the game. Awareness on defense leaves a lot to be desired.

Is he a good fit for the Raptors? I don't know, I don't see him as being a potential starter, but more of a high floor, low ceiling guy. And I'd rather see the Raptors trade into the draft to go after a guy that think could be a really special impact player. I think he'd be a better fit on a team that's looking to just add some scoring depth to their bench. Of teams drafting in the 15-25 area, I think Chicago would be a good fit for him, as his game would be a good compliment to the players they already have, and Thibodeau could work with him on his weaknesses.

Comment

Lukreaum wrote: View Post
                  I can see where that concern can come from but in college Kelly has only been playing 25.6 MPG and still averaging the 7 rebounds. His Per 40 min numbers get him at 10.9 RPG and he seems coachable, paired with a rebounding and blocking center like Jonas (along with this new blocks that end up in defending teams hands) I think he could be driven to improve in this area. Just my thoughts, always excited for Canada basketball and the raptors improving.
                  7 rpg, even in just 25.6 mpg, is not that impressive for a guy who is almost always the biggest player on the floor when he's out there. I have not read one thing about him that doesn't mention concerns about things like foot speed, explosiveness, ability to play at/above the rim....He sounds like it'll be a huge adjustment physically for him to come to the NBA. I'd say hoping for a Christian Laettner type would be high hopes....I'm thinking more like Spencer Hawes with a slightly better post game hopefully, and possibly a worse defender...

Comment

7 rpg, even in just 25.6 mpg, is not that impressive for a guy who is almost always the biggest player on the floor when he's out there. I have not read one thing about him that doesn't mention concerns about things like foot speed, explosiveness, ability to play at/above the rim....He sounds like it'll be a huge adjustment physically for him to come to the NBA. I'd say hoping for a Christian Laettner type would be high hopes....I'm thinking more like Spencer Hawes with a slightly better post game hopefully, and possibly a worse defender...
                    Christian Laettner had career averages of 5.3 ppg and 2.7 rpg. That's not such a lofty projection for KO's NBA future. Spencer Hawes NBA stats are much better than Laettner. 8.8 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Remember that Laettner was a college game star and a NBA bench warmer.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                      Christian Laettner had career averages of 5.3 ppg and 2.7 rpg. That's not such a lofty projection for KO's NBA future. Spencer Hawes NBA stats are much better than Laettner. 8.8 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Remember that Laettner was a college game star and a NBA bench warmer.
                      Did you watch ball in the 90s??? Laettner was sidetracked by injuries, but was an excellent big until that happened. Obviously not dominant like he was in college, but a solid starter who even made an all-star game as a reserve...his years until he blew out his achilles:
                      18.2, 8.7
                      16.8, 8.6
                      16.3, 7.6
                      16.4, 7.3
                      18.4, 8.8
                      13.8, 6.6

and then they drop off dramatically...A torn Achilles is a very difficult injury for especially a big to bounce back from. Spencer Hawes isn't half the player Laettner was before his injuries. Looking at career averages is just nonsense..

Laettner's stats.
                      http://www.basketball-reference.com/...laettch01.html

Comment

Good video of him:

Comment

I say he's a Nick Collision type of player in the NBA, at best.
                          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Casey Jones, is that you???

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                              I say he's a Nick Collision type of player in the NBA, at best.
                              That's not a bad comparison either. Though Collison plays well at PF. I don't see Olnyk being very good there.

Comment

Working...
                              X