The DOUBLE DRAGONS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post
    Actually, I'm kind of pissed. The play itself is great, but it's the kind of surprise play you save for a really important moment in a really important game, e.g. game winning shot in the playoffs or something like that. Not 10 seconds into a meaningless game with another meaningless team at the end of yet another meaningless season.
    Could be just the beginning. For all we know, they just wanted to test to see if they'd get called for a foul. Now that they know its legit, I'd expect to see it brought out at more opportune times.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Could be just the beginning. For all we know, they just wanted to test to see if they'd get called for a foul. Now that they know its legit, I'd expect to see it brought out at more opportune times.
      Sure, but now the whole league knows it. I can just imagine what great coaches like Popovich and Spoelstra will do once they get a hold of it. Credit to Casey, no question - truly innovative. Pretty sure the league wil have to ban it in the offseason - no way David Stern wants his pretty little NBA looking like Aussie Rules. Maybe we could see it in this year's playoffs - that would be awesome & controversial.

Comment

Man, this thread title made me dig out the ol' NES games. Maybe I'll watch the The Wizard later on too.

On the play. I like it a lot. I don't think there's a way a ref can make a call on it as long as the guys stay hip to hip. It's not a loose ball foul or anything. THey are not disallowing the chasing defender from doing anything, they are just making a bigger screen. They technically have position, and there is no space to split the screen. If the defender charged through it and split it, it would be a foul on him.

*Now, back to Battletoads & Double Dragon....
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Apr 1, 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

This thread desperately needs some...

ABOBO!

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            On the play. I like it a lot. I don't think there's a way a ref can make a call on it as long as the guys stay hip to hip. It's not a loose ball foul or anything. THey are not disallowing the chasing defender from doing anything, they are just making a bigger screen. They technically have position, and there is no space to split the screen. If the defender charged through it and split it, it would be a foul on him.
            Agreed. Not sure what would be considered illegal about it ... besides the moving around. Probably have to hold position a bit more solidly going forward if they want to keep using this.

Now, back to Battletoads & Double Dragon....
            Battletoads!! Oh man ... and up come the memories.

Its probably a good thing people have long since forgotten about THIS abomination of a movie...

Its right there with Mario Bros as worst Game-to-Film movie ever made.
            Last edited by Joey; Mon Apr 1, 2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

That whole thing is absolutely brilliant! New invention in basketball, but then I had to laugh so hard as I imagined the following:

Lowry slowly brings the ball over the halfcourt. All 4 of his teammates suddenly storm from different corners towards the paint to combine a 4 man pick (screen) reaching from the right top of the key 3 point area, to the right-middle of the paint and Lowry all by himself dribbles the ball to the basket and lays it in...

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Agreed. Not sure what would be considered illegal about it ... besides the moving around. Probably have to hold position a bit more solidly going forward if they want to keep using this.

Its probably a good thing people have long since forgotten about THIS abomination of a movie...

Its right there with Mario Bros as worst Game-to-Film movie ever made.
                Yeah, the play is solid. The position thing is a good point, but it's easily fixed by overlapping feet instead of arms. If their feet cross each other and they're connected at the hip, they don't have to lock arms. If the defender pushes through them hard, it's going to be a very blatant foul knocking them off their position, because their is literally no legal space for him to go between them. Really, as long as they're hip-to-hip it should be fine.

So many bad video game movies, especially tacky 80s/90s ones. Have you seen the Wizard? With Fred Savage? And it's basically a movie-length commercial for Nintendo in North America?

Comment

In a way, the locking arms could work in their favour, because it shows that the defender is pushing them apart.

Comment

can someone make a GIF of the guy getting stuck between them and flailing?
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Yeah, the play is solid. The position thing is a good point, but it's easily fixed by overlapping feet instead of arms. If their feet cross each other and they're connected at the hip, they don't have to lock arms. If the defender pushes through them hard, it's going to be a very blatant foul knocking them off their position, because their is literally no legal space for him to go between them. Really, as long as they're hip-to-hip it should be fine.

So many bad video game movies, especially tacky 80s/90s ones. Have you seen the Wizard? With Fred Savage? And it's basically a movie-length commercial for Nintendo in North America?

lol as a movie it was awful, but as a marketing campaign it did wonders for sales of Super Mario 3 on the Super Nintendo (if memory serves me)! This entire thread should be a pretty clear indicator of the various age brackets of RR posters! lol

Comment

That play really needs to end with someone hitting a shot. Demar seems like one of the worst options to run it for. It could be really useful for Ross depending on his progress for next year.

Comment

That play really needs to end with someone hitting a shot. Demar seems like one of the worst options to run it for. It could be really useful for Ross depending on his progress for next year.
                          If they ran it to get Anderson or Lucas open, you can 99.99% guarantee there'd be a 3pt shot attempt... for better or worse!

God forbid they use the screen and resulting open look to move the ball around the perimiter for an open corner 3, as the defense struggles with rotations to compensate for the unexpected tag-team-pick!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            lol as a movie it was awful, but as a marketing campaign it did wonders for sales of Super Mario 3 on the Super Nintendo (if memory serves me)! This entire thread should be a pretty clear indicator of the various age brackets of RR posters! lol
                            No, actually it was just for regular Nintendo, but you are absolutely right about the game.

Another shamelessly promoting series Nintendo had...for TV, Captain N, the Game Master...a story about a teen and his dog sucked into the Nintendo world, where he teams up with characters like Mega Man and other Nintendo heroes to battle Nintendo villains.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              If they ran it to get Anderson or Lucas open, you can 99.99% guarantee there'd be a 3pt shot attempt... for better or worse!

God forbid they use the screen and resulting open look to move the ball around the perimiter for an open corner 3, as the defense struggles with rotations to compensate for the unexpected tag-team-pick!
                              I just don't want to encourage the use of players I want gone. But yeah, they could easily run it for those guys at the moment.

Comment

No, actually it was just for regular Nintendo, but you are absolutely right about the game.

Another shamelessly promoting series Nintendo had...for TV, Captain N, the Game Master...a story about a teen and his dog sucked into the Nintendo world, where he teams up with characters like Mega Man and other Nintendo heroes to battle Nintendo villains.

hahaha I had forgotten all about that show, though I was a little too old to watch it back then. These references and images remind me of the good old days of my youth, scouring my copy of Nintendo Power for game hints...

Comment

Working...
                                X