Report: Lowry re-signs @ 4yr/$48M w/ETO after 3rd year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    He is just a cap hit of $2.8M right now.

They don't need cap space to resign for $10+M.

THey are trying to use all their cap space then take care of Parsons.
    I'm not sure why no one has made a big offer to Parsons yet. He seems primed to be snatched away while Houston gets greedy. Lots of teams looking for top notch SF's. Parson's can't feel valued while they're going full force after Melo, who plays the same position. What's their pitch to Parsons?
    "We know you have been paid like shit your entire NBA career, but we think you should resign here on a reasonable deal to be a career backup to Carmelo! What do you say?"

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      He is just a cap hit of $2.8M right now.

They don't need cap space to resign for $10+M.

THey are trying to use all their cap space then take care of Parsons.

Where the Rockets could get into trouble is if another team gives Parsons a large offer sheet. Suddenly the offer sheet will take up a large chunk of the Rockets space which they need for their pursuit of Melo. This could put them in position to have to choose between Parsons or Melo. I hope someone does this to Morey, just to mess with him for a few days...plus Parsons is a solid player.
      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        I'm not sure why no one has made a big offer to Parsons yet. He seems primed to be snatched away while Houston gets greedy. Lots of teams looking for top notch SF's. Parson's can't feel valued while they're going full force after Melo, who plays the same position. What's their pitch to Parsons?
        "We know you have been paid like shit your entire NBA career, but we think you should resign here on a reasonable deal to be a career backup to Carmelo! What do you say?"
        Unless they're going look- we'll put Melo at the 4, you'll get over 10 million from us, and you'll have a shot at a championship every year.
        @Boymusic66

Comment

• Can someone help me understand Houston's cap situation and how they have enough space to make an offer to Lowry and Carmelo? I'm looking at BasketballInsiders and their projected space is none. Has the Asik deal become official yet? Seems like they need both Asik and Lin gone for no return to have cap space. They also need Parsons to not sign an offer sheet. If they get all that, they have about $16M in space, which seems like enough for Melo, but not Lowry. Wouldn't they want to go after Love if they strike out on Melo? Seems like a lot of moving pieces and I'm not sure why they're considered such major players for Lowry's services. The report that Houston only wanted Lowry in a sign and trade makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Can someone help me understand Houston's cap situation and how they have enough space to make an offer to Lowry and Carmelo? I'm looking at BasketballInsiders and their projected space is none. Has the Asik deal become official yet? Seems like they need both Asik and Lin gone for no return to have cap space. They also need Parsons to not sign an offer sheet. If they get all that, they have about $16M in space, which seems like enough for Melo, but not Lowry. Wouldn't they want to go after Love if they strike out on Melo? Seems like a lot of moving pieces and I'm not sure why they're considered such major players for Lowry's services. The report that Houston only wanted Lowry in a sign and trade makes a lot of sense.
            Based on my understanding Melo is their plan A, and Lowry is their plan B. They can't have both. I'm also pretty sure that Houston and Parsons have come to an agreement verbally as to the type of contract they will offer.. Parsons will probably avoid free agency and wait until Morey updates the roster. From what I read Parsons really likes playing in Houston and wants to be back.

As for their cap space.. Asik will be traded after July 10th I believe (when the moratorium is over). They have to still trade Lin. Apparently there is a trade offer that can move Lin for cap space. Morey will only pull the plug once a big free agent says yes to Houston though.

Comment

• I think the Asik trade won't be officially completed until the end of the July moratorium, because the Pelicans need that time to clear cap space. Even so, you're right, that puts them only a little under the cap and they'd need a sign-and-trade to acquire Lowry, or else find a taker for Lin.

Comment

My guess is parsons is waiting to get paid by Houston or waiting to get traded to NYK as part of sign and trade.

He is definitely working with Houston. It might bite him if teams keeping dropping $6m on Jodie Meeks of the league.

Comment

Can someone help me understand Houston's cap situation and how they have enough space to make an offer to Lowry and Carmelo? I'm looking at BasketballInsiders and their projected space is none. Has the Asik deal become official yet? Seems like they need both Asik and Lin gone for no return to have cap space. They also need Parsons to not sign an offer sheet. If they get all that, they have about $16M in space, which seems like enough for Melo, but not Lowry. Wouldn't they want to go after Love if they strike out on Melo? Seems like a lot of moving pieces and I'm not sure why they're considered such major players for Lowry's services. The report that Houston only wanted Lowry in a sign and trade makes a lot of sense.
                  HOU's situation is tricky. Asik is gone (although the deal will only be official on the 10th, same goes for all the free agent deals agreed to in the next week). They have 47.6M committed to their top 5 players. But if they have a taker for Lin (they claim to), that drops to 39.3M. They have the Parsons cap hold (1.8M) that brings is up to 41.1M. The rest of the roster is unguaranteed or low level free agents, so could be shed if need be, and would if they can manage two big signings. So Melo is looking for 22M, which caps them out, even with Lin gone. Not sure where the money comes from for Lowry.

Now, the rumours did say that they wanted a SnT with Lowry. That suggests they would put together a package to send salary out. They don't have trade exceptions, and they can't use Lin for Lowry, as then Lowry would sit on the cap and prevent a Melo signing. It is possible they would try to orchestrate a two way SnT with Parsons. But that would leave them very thin.

I think Melo is plan A. And a Deng/Lowry combo or something along those lines is plan B.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                    Where the Rockets could get into trouble is if another team gives Parsons a large offer sheet. Suddenly the offer sheet will take up a large chunk of the Rockets space which they need for their pursuit of Melo. This could put them in position to have to choose between Parsons or Melo. I hope someone does this to Morey, just to mess with him for a few days...plus Parsons is a solid player.
                    Nobody can give Parsons an offer sheet because he's an unrestricted free agent.

Morey isn't an idiot. He obviously discussed with Parsons prior to declining his team option for next year, and they worked out a situation where Chandler waits for them to sign a guy then gets his money afterwards.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Based on my understanding Melo is their plan A, and Lowry is their plan B. They can't have both. I'm also pretty sure that Houston and Parsons have come to an agreement verbally as to the type of contract they will offer.. Parsons will probably avoid free agency and wait until Morey updates the roster. From what I read Parsons really likes playing in Houston and wants to be back.

As for their cap space.. Asik will be traded after July 10th I believe (when the moratorium is over). They have to still trade Lin. Apparently there is a trade offer that can move Lin for cap space. Morey will only pull the plug once a big free agent says yes to Houston though.
                      So since Lowry said he'd make his decision in a few days, instead of after July 10th, I think we're sitting pretty. I also really don't understand Parsons wanting to stay in Houston if they bring in Melo. Melo is not a PF and neither is Parsons. The whole "he likes playing there" thing is said about literally every single player in the league (or 99%, there is the 1% disgruntled player), so I take it with a fucking humongous grain of salt.

What kind of deal do you think Parsons deserves? I'd say in the $10M-$13M range, and that may be low. He's gotten better every year and is already getting 16.6 pts, 5.5 reb, 4.0 ast, 1.2 stl, .370 3pt%, .565 TS%.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        HOU's situation is tricky. Asik is gone (although the deal will only be official on the 10th, same goes for all the free agent deals agreed to in the next week). They have 47.6M committed to their top 5 players. But if they have a taker for Lin (they claim to), that drops to 39.3M. They have the Parsons cap hold (1.8M) that brings is up to 41.1M. The rest of the roster is unguaranteed or low level free agents, so could be shed if need be, and would if they can manage two big signings. So Melo is looking for 22M, which caps them out, even with Lin gone. Not sure where the money comes from for Lowry.

Now, the rumours did say that they wanted a SnT with Lowry. That suggests they would put together a package to send salary out. They don't have trade exceptions, and they can't use Lin for Lowry, as then Lowry would sit on the cap and prevent a Melo signing. It is possible they would try to orchestrate a two way SnT with Parsons. But that would leave them very thin.

I think Melo is plan A. And a Deng/Lowry combo or something along those lines is plan B.
                        Lin for Lowry would work if Melo signed first if I'm not mistaken. That's probably their optimal situation because they get Lowry and Melo while keeping Parsons.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                          Nobody can give Parsons an offer sheet because he's an unrestricted free agent.

Morey isn't an idiot. He obviously discussed with Parsons prior to declining his team option for next year, and they worked out a situation where Chandler waits for them to sign a guy then gets his money afterwards.
                          Parsons is a restricted free agent since Houston declined his option. Had they picked up his option he'd be a unrestricted free agent next offseason. He had a weird contract that gave Houston the option of restricted this year, or unrestricted next year.

Comment

So since Lowry said he'd make his decision in a few days, instead of after July 10th, I think we're sitting pretty. I also really don't understand Parsons wanting to stay in Houston if they bring in Melo. Melo is not a PF and neither is Parsons.
                            Melo can play PF since they have Dwight at center. On offense that's lethal but defensively they'd be weak on the wing with Melo, Parsons and Harden.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                              Melo can play PF since they have Dwight at center. On offense that's lethal but defensively they'd be weak on the wing with Melo, Parsons and Harden.
                              Melo's gonna guard Tim Duncan, Kevin Love, ZBo, David Lee, Blake Griffin, etc. etc.. on and on. No fucking way. Melo isn't going to Houston to play out of position. He's been a SF his entire career, college included. You already have a defensive sieve in Harden at SG. They can't afford another one in Melo at PF. Dwight Howard can't be everywhere on the court.

Not to mention Terrence Jones has been pretty fucking good at PF for Houston (16 and 9 per 36), he can defend the position, and he's only entering his 3rd season. If Melo agrees to go to Houston, I see Parsons going out in a sign and trade. Possibly to Atlanta for the Salmons contract (would make sense of them extending his waiver date).

Comment

Melo's gonna guard Tim Duncan, Kevin Love, ZBo, David Lee, Blake Griffin, etc. etc.. on and on. No fucking way. Melo isn't going to Houston to play out of position. He's been a SF his entire career, college included. You already have a defensive sieve in Harden at SG. They can't afford another one in Melo at PF. Dwight Howard can't be everywhere on the court.

Not to mention Terrence Jones has been pretty fucking good at PF for Houston (16 and 9 per 36), he can defend the position, and he's only entering his 3rd season. If Melo agrees to go to Houston, I see Parsons going out in a sign and trade. Possibly to Atlanta for the Salmons contract (would make sense of them extending his waiver date).
                                Atlanta situation could happen. And I clearly said it would be terrible defensively...

Melo has played PF in NY for extended time with Chandler at C.

Get me straight though I don't think it would be a good line up, I just think that's what Morey wants.

Comment

Working...
                                X