Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleepz wrote: View Post
    Imo, BC will try and make some type of last-gasp move. If you don't like what's being said about you change the conversation.
    Some sort of desperation trade involving Derozan? Bargnani ain't going anywhere. Neither is Valanciunas. Who else can he move for something meaningful? I have no doubt he'd love to make a big move but I don't see how unless he loses his mind and moves JV and/or the 2013 pick and I don't think he'd get the okay to do either.

Comment

• I am actually not mad at Nash at all.. for me this was a dream like scenario, and its not coming to fruition. Nash has other priorities, mainly his family to consider. I applaud that. I don't think Nash deserves any boos from us as that's actually idiotic. Why don't we boo the fact that he has a summer home in NY instead of Toronto? If you want to boo the Knicks because they are the Knicks - I understand that.. but booing Nash because he decided to play somewhere else is not cool.

If anything, I'm pissed off with Bryan. It is obvious more than ever that he doesn't really have a plan. With so much cap space and flexibility he hasn't really done much.. now its still early but most of the top free agents will be gone, and we'll be left with either going after Dragic or Lin - what a let down.

I hope he realizes that he has an opportunity to slow things down and look again at the big picture. We have a team full of young assets most of which have not reached their potential. Potential is a huge buzzword for many GM's, and so Bryan can move some of those out for younger veterans through trades. Try and build a real foundation and core like Indiana, Denver and Utah did - and then add big pieces to that core in the following years.

Next year Holiday, Lawson and Jennings are all RFA's. No need to get a guy like Dragic this year, when we can use Calderon for one more year and make a splash in 2013. Figure out what we have in Demar and Ed, and if they don't improve radically either renounce them or trade them away for young veteran type guys. Maintain cap flexibility in the new CBA economy and try and improve organically. It's boring and we'll probably be another lottery team next year - but at this point its all we can do unfortunately.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        lol, just bustin' ya chops, brutha

There is always a bright side. Let's see what else Colangelo has up his sleeve (hope it's more than another snotty hanky).
        Agreed. I'm sure there is dissapointment if they can't sign Nash but the attempt was made. Yes he is Canadian and he's the GM of Team canada but this is his professional career and if he feels he has a better chance to win with the Knicks can we honestly fault him for that?

From a purely basketball perspective we would have all done the same thing.

My concern now is that Colangelo is going to try to do something big to change the news and the mood.

I wasn't the biggest supporter of a Nash signing but at the same time, it's Steve Nash we're talking about. If they try to sign Lin I am going to lose it.

Comment

• You know what this reminds me of: when BC completely misgauged the Bosh re-signing scenario, which resulted in us being left with nothing.

It's almost as if BC is naive. Nash's inaction over the last few days CLEARLY indicate he is not that interested in Toronto, or he would have already signed. It's just odd that BC was so far off in gauging Nash's inclinations.

This is gonna be a stretch, but: If you're Betty, you don't propose to Archie in public while he's still banging Veronica on the side -- that's how you end up being humiliated.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
            The weird thing about this whole situation is that most NY fans don't want Nash if that means parting ways with Shumpert. They much rather keep Shumpert and let Nash go to Toronto.
            most NY fans are also irrational dolts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...7514--nba.html

Comment

• CNOTE wrote: View Post
              I would have loved to see Steve Nash as a Raptor, but no one forced the Raptors to go ball out for Steve Nash. He owes the Raptors nothing, and he owes Toronto no loyalty. If you choose to get upset with him you are discriminating against him because he is Canadian, with the rationale being we are Canada's team every American player in Europe should play in D-League in the U.S. First he is from Victoria, if this was the Vancouver Grizzlies we may have a leg to stand on with regards to being upset with him. Second, please provide me the quote in which Steve Nash said he wanted to play for the Raptors or he wanted them to pursue him. I do not recall seeing that. As for him quitting the National team, get your heads out of your asses. He has done more for Basketball in Canada than anyone has done before. Him choosing the Knicks has no effect on that. If there is collateral damage to Canadian Basketball the blame goes squarley on moronic Canadians, and Bryan Colangelo for mis reading the situation.
              Thank you for being sane. Was beginning to think I was the only one after reading the comments in this thread.

Honestly shocked at how people are reacting to this. Especially the calls for Nash to resign from his role with basketball Canada, as if somehow playing for the raptors and the national and amateur programs are connected. To demand him to promote the game in Canada by signing with the team is nothing short of ludicrous. A serious infusion of reality is needed there.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                Some sort of desperation trade involving Derozan? Bargnani ain't going anywhere. Neither is Valanciunas. Who else can he move for something meaningful? I have no doubt he'd love to make a big move but I don't see how unless he loses his mind and moves JV and/or the 2013 pick and I don't think he'd get the okay to do either.
                No, I'm thinking big money for Lin or maybe Batum. DeRozan and Andrea's trade value is minimal imo so no names are coming back for either of those guys via trade, even if BC was willing.

I'm thinking he's going to try and spend some money. That Fields deal is also going to be a reminder of the failed Nash overtures.

Comment

• geo wrote: View Post
                  just stop...I stopped reading when you said playing for a ring
                  Agreed.

If they get Nash and keep Lin, they are hard capped at $74M next season without even a starting 5, a payroll around $65M, and no other exceptions. Remaining 9 players need to be minimum contracts.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    most NY fans are also irrational dolts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...7514--nba.html
                    True. Very true!

Comment

• RaptorTy wrote: View Post
                      Might as well send a s&t offer from us. Calderon and JJ for Nash straight up.
                      Doesn't work that way. If Nash wants New York, it doesn't matter if we offer Phoenix a better package. Nash is the decision-maker (not the Suns).

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                        Thank you for being sane. Was beginning to think I was the only one after reading the comments in this thread.

Honestly shocked at how people are reacting to this. Especially the calls for Nash to resign from his role with basketball Canada, as if somehow playing for the raptors and the national and amateur programs are connected. To demand him to promote the game in Canada by signing with the team is nothing short of ludicrous. A serious infusion of reality is needed there.
                        Agree 100%. Its not like he said "I will play for Toronto" then went somewhere else. This franchise has not done anything for him, so why should he be forced to sign here? Like i said before, if he signs here, it's all about what Steve Nash can give to the Raptors and Toronto, $36mil would be nice, but if he can earn slightly less AND compete for something bigger, then why not???

He's wasnt even born here.

Comment

• '"He wants to go to New York," said a person who has been briefed on the strategy brewing in Nash's camp Wednesday. Another person familiar with Nash's strategy seconded that opinion.'

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...et-to-new-york

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            It's not me or my ilk feeling that way, but rather what the perception of the Toronto Raptors franchise is, that will be severely diminished as a result of Nash walking away. If we're not a laughing stock, red-headed step child type franchise within NBA circles (ie: free agents, American fans, casual non-basketball Canadian fans) already, we certainly will be.
                            The only perception that counts is that of free agents. When the Raptors start ressembling a functional, winning team, free agents will have no hesitation signing here. Sure, Toronto will always be at a slight disadvantage for a variety of reasons (no ESPN, having to go through Customs, that sort of thing), but this won't be a major impediment once we start playing well. So, with all due respect, sir, I think your perception argument is flawed.

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post

The point of Basketball Canada is to promote the game within the country.

To the casual fan this spurning kills their interest and supports all other 'puck head' jabs.

To the NBA community it further validates the stigma of Canada.

To hardcore fans such as myself, it makes me wonder if the denial of the stigma I've had for years is b.s. on my part.

His spurning the Raptors in this manner - and using them as leverage to get a fair contract on the free agent market - does nothing to promote the game in Canada and, in my opinion, it only hurts the game in Canada at the professional level through which the most publicity for the sport in the country comes from to begin with.

Do I think he should renounce his citizenship? No.
                              Should he be insulted for making his choice? No.
                              Should his family concerns make me unsympathetic? No.
                              Should he be booed? No really - but I don't think the standing O is warranted anymore.

These are just my thoughts but his actions are harming the game in Canada. Luckily, there is a group of young players coming up that might not feel the same as their American counterparts given the rising talent in the country and the rising number of top young Canadians playing (and dominating!) in US high school ball.

Comment

• LeeZ wrote: View Post
                                The only perception that counts is that of free agents. When the Raptors start ressembling a functional, winning team, free agents will have no hesitation signing here. Sure, Toronto will always be at a slight disadvantage for a variety of reasons (no ESPN, having to go through Customs, that sort of thing), but this won't be a major impediment once we start playing well. So, with all due respect, sir, I think your perception argument is flawed.
                                "When the Raptors start ressembling a functional, winning team, free agents will have no hesitation signing here. "

But how can we assemble a winning team if the FAs don't go here in the first place?
                                Nash could have been that one significant piece that would have enticed free agents to come over.
                                Last edited by LateBoomer; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X