Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grange: What is Colangelo's biggest error in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It's either deciding to build around Bosh, or deciding to build around Bargnani.
    Keeping in mind that we've never been able to attract a franchise player through free agency and franchise players aren't players that can be easily traded for what could he have done? It's a making lemonade out of lemons situation.

Ofcourse, he could have tanked to try and get some high draft picks, and hopefully landed a true franchise player, but you know as he likes to say, tanking is not in his DNA.

Comment

That pairing was during Triano's era btw.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Other errors:

1. Turkoglu signing
        2. Hiring Jay Triano
        3. Not moving Bosh sooner
        4. Bargnani
        5. Pretty much everything in the last 3 offseasons
        Turk was the prize free-agent that year. And we had money to spend. And we needed a SF. And EVERYONE was excited about the signing ... until Turk shit the bed. Hindsight is great, isn't it?

And as for 'Not moving Bosh earlier', I'll repeat myself .. I think what people expected to get back for Bosh is FAR more than what was actually possible. Because he wouldn't commit to staying, teams knew they had a chance to get him for nothing; but because he didn't commit to leaving, teams wouldn't risk trading for him, only to have him leave at the end of the season.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          I don't know if there is any proof of coach Mitchell having been fired because he was tough on Bargnani and held him accountable, so I don't know if it's proper to make that statement.
          That is fair and true enough.

I was going on rumours over the years that may or may not actually be factual.

Good call.

Regardless of the rationale I gave, everything went to hell in a handcart when Mitchell was fired so I'm sticking with it. Now would he have made a difference? We'll never know.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Turk was the prize free-agent that year. And we had money to spend. And we needed a SF. And EVERYONE was excited about the signing ... until Turk shit the bed. Hindsight is great, isn't it?

Oh, stop with the hindsight nonsense.... If you can't use hindsight you can never evaluate anyone. Plus, there were plenty of us who thought the Turkoglu signing was stupid. The Orlando GM and SVG were telling everyone the guy was lazy and didn't care and that Portland dodged a bullet. None of that was hindsight.

Comment

Getting in touch with his Italian heritage. (it made him have tunnel vision)

Comment

For me, the biggest error was the Jermaine O'Neal deal. After that 2007-2008 season, it was clear the team had plateaued and needed changes. He had Ford, a first round pick, Rasho's expiring and potentially a guy like Parker to move. He had assets available to him and he traded for a 32-year old broken down big and eviscerated the roster to do so (Wil Solomon anyone?).

That signing started the downward fall of the team and he spent the next two seasons trying to fix that mistake with the Marion deal and then the ill-fated Turkoglu signing. The team has never recovered from that 2008 season. If he had done what most fans wanted, which was use those assets to bring in an elite wing player, things may look very different today.
                +1. I was going to point this out, but, i consider this as an error in hindsight. If it worked, the Raptors will not be in this situation right now, we'd have the best frontcourt in the league plus a 7 foot shooter coming off the bench instead of being the so-called franchise player.

One true error i can think of was the allowing of Jorge Garbajosa to participate in euroball despite the fact that it was already known he was having injury problems.

Comment

Trying to build "Phoenix east". That period where all the players he signed were for offensive purposes and all we wanted to do was score set us back a lot and started this no defense culture that we have now. If Colangelo had been thinking defense and accountability from the beginning a lot of the problems we've seen would have never happened and Sam Mitchell, who is still the best coach we've had, might still be running the team.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

The more I think about it, the answer is:

Not being able to admit to his mistakes. (thinking he could correct all moves for a premium, and costing us down the road...)

Comment

I don't know what his biggest error was in his time in Toronto, but I'd say not being able to pull off a proper tank last season was amongst them. If you look at any of the players picked before Toronto chose Ross, you could make a case for them being a better fit. I like Terrence, but our best player this season shares the same position Terrence would play.

I'd have to throw in the contract for Fields into the list of errors because unless Landry comes back and plays well we're are stuck with that contract until it expires. Also, depending on how much you value Hibbert, trading his draft rights to Indiana was pretty awful as well.

Comment

Oh, stop with the hindsight nonsense.... If you can't use hindsight you can never evaluate anyone. Plus, there were plenty of us who thought the Turkoglu signing was stupid. The Orlando GM and SVG were telling everyone the guy was lazy and didn't care and that Portland dodged a bullet. None of that was hindsight.

Thank You.

I find the arguments that include 'everyone knew or thought at the time it was a good move' so, for a lack of a better term, lame. Events such as JO, Hedo, trading Bosh etc were surrounded by people of varying opinions. If someone thought it was a good move, or the majority though it was a good move, doesn't mean everyone did.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          I don't know if there is any proof of coach Mitchell having been fired because he was tough on Bargnani and held him accountable, so I don't know if it's proper to make that statement.
                          But you have to admit that an 8-9 start isn't disastrous enough to warrant dismissal (especially when you factor in Triano's record for the remainder of the season).

There must've been something else going on that helped Smitch through the door. Whether it was Bargnani or not, who knows.
                          Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                            Thank You.

I find the arguments that include 'everyone knew or thought at the time it was a good move' so, for a lack of a better term, lame. Events such as JO, Hedo, trading Bosh etc were surrounded by people of varying opinions. If someone thought it was a good move, or the majority though it was a good move, doesn't mean everyone did.
                            Very true.

I first discovered RR in the summer of 2009 (before the start of Bosh's final season as a Raptor) to argue in favor of trading him that offseason. I thought he was overrated but, most importantly, I was 100% sold that he would never re-sign with Toronto. At that time there were many more teams in the conversation (NYK, HOU and PHI chief among them), since the list wasn't determined by Bosh as he was still under contract. I was part of a very small minority back then.

I also hated both the O'Neal trade and the Turkoglu S&T deal. Like somebody else mentioned, I was hoping that BC would use his assets (ie: Ford, Rasho, draft picks) to acquire a star SF. Trading for O'Neal (and then Turkoglue) and trading for Jack, both in weak short-sighted attempts to appease Bosh, was an absolutely dreadful team-building strategy.

Comment

1. Not Trading Bosh
                              2. Drafting Bargs
                              3.Turkeypoo
                              4.Firing Sam Mitchell
                              5. Hiring Triano

Comment

Meddling in the coaches job, which means that he is contemplating his 4th coach in 6 years.

That, and having the lowest wins / payroll ratio in the NBA last year. I would hate to think what it is this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X