Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is Canada's Men's Basketball Team So Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
    Exactly.lol

I didn't like how he handled the whole Dalembert situation. But Canada has some very prominent HS talent in the US plus Bonner should be available in the future. Triano should be the Team Canada head coach not the Raptor's head coach in my opinion.
    +1.

Leo handled the whole Dalembert fiasco so poorly. To top it all off, he's not a good coach. Just because you can do colour on a broadcast shouldn't equate to the fact that you can coach.

With the contingent of Canadian kids at US prep schools, and from the sounds of it, the kids actually want to play for Canada, I think the future of Canada basketball is bright, provided that Rautins is fired in favour of a real coach. I'd like to see Dave Smart from Carleton University be given the reigns of the team.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
      So sad, yet so true.

I'm not sure if these schools exist yet in and around the GTA, but out West just outside of Calgary they are now building a highschool that just to caters only to hockey players. Both boys & girls. Apparently outside of your regular classes and 4 hours of daily ice time, they also teach these kids what they can expect after highschool as some potentially go on to be professionals.

How crazy is that?

Apparently
      We have that in Toronto, Doc. It's called Upper Canada College and St. Michael's College school. All they do is pump out hockey players.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        We have that in Toronto, Doc. It's called Upper Canada College and St. Michael's College school. All they do is pump out hockey players.
        Isn't St. Mike's the school you and fancylad went too?

Anyhow, but this school outside of Calgary is only for hockey players. Is that the same with St. Mike's and Upper Canada?

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
          Isn't St. Mike's the school you and fancylad went too?

Anyhow, but this school outside of Calgary is only for hockey players. Is that the same with St. Mike's and Upper Canada?
          That's the exact same school. Our coaches would recruit guys to come play for us. And they'd get a partial scholarship (which was against the rules). And it wasn't just hockey. It was basketball and football too. I remember we'd get guys from all over the country every year.

St. Mike's and UCC just seem to pump out more hockey players than anything - there are still quite a number of guys who went to St. Mike's that play in the NHL. I didn't play hockey. Hell, I can't even skate. But hockey players, especially the star ones, the teachers turn a blind eye to if they don't complete a homework assignment.

Comment

bcuz our stars (nash, dalembert) dont play + Leo rautins = 0-5. im sure if we had at least one of those guys playing we would have one at least one game. this may be a stupid Q, but y does triano help out the US team, instead of coach canadas?
            No Dissrespect...
            With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

Because basketball Canada fired Triano in favour of Rautins.

Comment

Got my undergrad @ carleton and watched a lot of ravens games. They were/are the most consistant team I've ever seen. They played the exact same way regardless if they were down 5 or up 25. The most focus i've seen by any team at any level. Dave Smart accomplished something here that will not be duplicated by anyone for a long long time. Not sure if he could handle NBA personalities but can't imagine a better candidate to replace Leo.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  Got my undergrad @ carleton and watched a lot of ravens games. They were/are the most consistant team I've ever seen. They played the exact same way regardless if they were down 5 or up 25. The most focus i've seen by any team at any level. Dave Smart accomplished something here that will not be duplicated by anyone for a long long time. Not sure if he could handle NBA personalities but can't imagine a better candidate to replace Leo.
                  I didn't know much about Dave Smart before his name was mentioned by a bunch of posters. Thanks, guys. Reading this article below, not sure if his tactics will translate well to NBA players, although I love his basic philosophy, i.e., practice competing and winning until it becomes a habit.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...5-01c3513848d1

Keep in mind that the new crop of CDN youngsters are projected as NBAers, so handling those personalities would be key. It's not trivial, seeing as Leo himself was an NBAer and has been around NBA players for ages, but still couldn't see eye to eye with Sam Dalembert for example. Not sure whose fault that was, but just reinforces that it's a big issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X